Sam shields?? Gone? Or staying

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
He's a little flat going into training. But he'll get back in the groove. Heck, if Bush beats him out he deserves to take a walk. In fact, if Bush beats anybody out they shouldn't be playing pro football.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope he bounces back, 2010 season he was great on the stretch and you could count on him to cover anyone really. Last season it was difficult to watch, not just him however I wonder how Williams is going to respond after his shoulder injury, hopefully he can be the shutdown corner he was in 2010.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields is too talented to even think about him being cut.
Don't forget there will be some injuries.
The thing I am gladdest about is that there's no mention of Pat Lee anymore here!

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Super Bowl XLVIII Depth Chart

CB- Tramon, Shields
CB- Hayward, House
S- Burnett, MD Jennings
S- Woodson, Bush, McMillian

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depth charts mean nothing at this point. I'm not sure that Shields is that talented. He has good makeup speed when he gets beat but his overall coverage techniques aren't good and he is a poor tackler. I like his speed but the other aspects of his game need serious improvement.

Maybe Haywards play, albeit early, will push him.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Is it wrong to suggest that Bush may of actually improved? And now Shields just needs to step up his game. One of the things I like about Shields is his late game interceptions, its like if he plays sloppy just to make the crucial interception at the end of the game, but its too high of a risk to keep doing.

Reaction score
He's a little flat going into training. But he'll get back in the groove. Heck, if Bush beats him out he deserves to take a walk. In fact, if Bush beats anybody out they shouldn't be playing pro football.
Bush isn't THAT Bad... heck, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Bush beat him out.. Bush will end up being one of the few Packers to EVER play with the Green and Gold for over 10 years. Amazing that an average player like that will do that.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush isn't THAT Bad... heck, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Bush beat him out.. Bush will end up being one of the few Packers to EVER play with the Green and Gold for over 10 years. Amazing that an average player like that will do that.

I was starting to think I was the only packer fan in Bush's corner. I mean he has been a liability in coverage in the past. But in the end he is still a packer and I hope the best for him. He really excels in open field tackling and I think maybe McCarthy is trying to make a statement to the other guys as to what he expects from them. I said it before if Bush can somehow not have already hit his ceiling in coverage and close the gap in coverage skills closer to Shields his tackling will really put him over Shields IMO.

Reaction score
I was starting to think I was the only packer fan in Bush's corner. I mean he has been a liability in coverage in the past. But in the end he is still a packer and I hope the best for him. He really excels in open field tackling and I think maybe McCarthy is trying to make a statement to the other guys as to what he expects from them. I said it before if Bush can somehow not have already hit his ceiling in coverage and close the gap in coverage skills closer to Shields his tackling will really put him over Shields IMO.
People for some reason forget that Bush is a player too and he can still improve just like any other Packer!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point Bush seems have the upper hand though one report I saw said he has been so-so in camp. Those same reports have Shields regressing. I wouldn't make any bets on who our starting corner will be at this point opposite Williams.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Bush isn’t just good on STs, he’s great. That’s why he was offered a contract by Tennessee when he was an RFA and that’s why he’s still a Packer. He’s backed up at safety and CB and he took Shield’s spot late last season because the staff viewed him as the best option at the time. McGinn has written that he’s doing “OK” as a starting CB in the base and nickel so far. Not high praise and he’s not great at coverage but here’s what he is IMO: He’s valuable on STs because he posses this necessary attribute for an NFL gunner: Fearlessness. It’s easy for you and I to be fearless from our couch on Sundays, but Bush has consistently displayed physical courage throughout his NFL career by running full speed at other gifted athletes who would like to take his head off. His willingness and ability to be physical is why he took Shields’ spot and it’s why he’s starting at CB early in camp: He tackes. And he’s versatile, willing to play any position in the D backfield. He is also viewed by Capers and staff as the best replacement for Woodson as a biltzer from the D backfield. Obviously he’s not Woodson and that’s not the point.

The point is here is a guy who gives the team everything he’s got. His combination of strength and speed are shared by a lot of players in the NFL or NFL wannabes. But the majority of those players lack his guts. By all accounts he works hard and doesn’t complain. IMO he is the epitome of “Packer people” (although I’m not a fan of that term). So why do so many Packers fans have a negative opinion of him? Early in his career he had a few “brain farts” that happened on STs which were on display for everyone to see (beause he was one of the few Packers around the ball). As I mentioned, he’s not great at coverage but it’s not for a lack of trying. Don’t get me wrong, I hope someone else – Shields, Hayward, or House – win the starting CB job. But I’m glad Bush is on the team. And I have a humble suggestion for some of my fellow Packers fans: Don’t let the opinion of Jarrett Bush you formed years ago be unaffected by new information. Jarrett Bush is a valuable member of this team. And that’s not just my opinion. That’s the opinion of Thompson and his staff. And McCarthy and his staff. And it’s the opinion of at least a few NFL teams that have bid for services.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure Bush's real value is on special teams. He excels there. However, I question whether he could make the team based strictly on his abilities as a DB alone.

Headrush

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shields had a pretty bad day his first day in pads. Got beat by Jones on what should have been an easy pick. Was beat in the 1 on 1 drills. And was even bumped from the dime package with the 1s. Seems like he has some really big stepping up to do.

I read an article this morning on JSOnline that stated Shields has "regressed" Scary part is that they werent talking about last year, they were talking about 2012 training camp. I hope he gets his act together pronto!

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Early reports from camp are not encouraging for Shields. Like many of us, I give him a pass because of what he did his first year - particularly when you consider that was his second (??) season of playing CB in his life. Unfortunately, the lockout last offseason hurt him the most and he regressed badly last season. His makeup speed is really the best attribute he has right now. You really don't read anything on him progressing as far as technique and tackling. It's obviously early, but it is alarming that the most recent reports are that his play has been "wretched". And if his technique and tackling doesn't improve, he may deserve to be cut, even with all his natural talent.

I've said this before, but not sure if its been in this forum, I question whether his success got to his head. Literally, it did with that "wretched" tattoo. But, it's hard not to wonder whether winning a SB and being called a catalyst in that SB run didn't hinder his drive to work hard last offseason.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely a possibility. And that would not be a good sign. At this level, the talent that separates the excellent players from the washouts is pretty minimal. Being a self-motivator and always wanting to improve is often the x-factor. If you don't have that, you're gonna have a pretty short career in the League. Hoping Shields can wise up and work.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres fast and then theres Sam Shields fast and not to many guy's are sam shields fast. I think that if he can improve his coverage technique he will make at least one pro-bowl because much like Charles and Tramon he has great ball skills. His tackling is bad but then again so was Deion Sanders and look how he turned out.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The tweets from training camp today said that Shields did much better this morning. Davon House impressed today as well.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition only makes us better. If our cornerbacks are so good that we don't need Shields, we're in great shape.

That said, I'm pretty sure he'll stick regardless. Maybe as the last cornerback and inactive on game day, but he'll stick. As of right now, we're looking at Williams, House, Bush, Hayward, and Shields being the cornerbacks.

Skipping Woodson for now, because he's officially hybrid now, and who knows if he counts as a safety or corner when they start doing position numbers. Still, I see room, with the safeties being Woodson, Burnett, Jennings, and McMillian. That's 9 guys in the secondary. A good, reasonable number.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Competition only makes us better. If our cornerbacks are so good that we don't need Shields, we're in great shape.

That said, I'm pretty sure he'll stick regardless. Maybe as the last cornerback and inactive on game day, but he'll stick. As of right now, we're looking at Williams, House, Bush, Hayward, and Shields being the cornerbacks.

I would say Sam shields would be higher on the depth chart than Hayward at least going into the season. I Re Read an article on House last year on a different thread and The CB's coach makes it pretty clear he knows he dropped Shields into the fire a bit too early and didn't want to do the same with House. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him let Hayward sit on the back burner and really learn this Defense before he gets a real shot. Barring injuries of course. Special teams play could also affect who stays and who goes IMO.

60six

DIE HARD
Reaction score

Skipping Woodson for now, because he's officially hybrid now, and who knows if he counts as a safety or corner when they start doing position numbers. Still, I see room, with the safeties being Woodson, Burnett, Jennings, and McMillian. That's 9 guys in the secondary. A good, reasonable number.

TT/MM have gone with 6CBs/ 4S since the 3-4 or longer, so my guess is 1 of these guys make the cut...

Ross-CB
Turner-CB
Merrill-CB
Lavine-S
Richardson-S(my pick)
Pellerin-S

They didnt replace Collins last year after his injury,they used his spot to sign a OG b/c they started the year with only 3, so I guess anything is possible.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't about who will make the roster at CB, it's about a corner that can play at at the level needed. Right now I'm not convinced we have that person. We need a corner that can play at the level of Tramon Williams. And for those saying he didn't get the job done last year ...which I agree with, I think he returns to form with a year to heal his injury.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its really early in the year yet guys. We still are over a week away from playing our first preseason game. Lets take a deep breath and calm down. Now here's the CB situation with Woodson moving into a hybrid role,
Bush while being a vet and knowing the defense is only so-so in coverage. And you've got to save some juice for him on special teams. I think he's definately not the guy for opposite Tramon.
Hayward's a rookie and I think while he's looked good he's still learning the defense and the coaching staff is going to watch him and make sure they don't push him along to fast. The rookies for the Pack that have started at CB in their first year are really hit or miss. I think McCarthy's going to try and bring him along slow. Again, not the guy for opposite Tramon.
House is a dark horse in this race and I think he's got a shot. While he is very athletic, what he's shown on the field is much to be desired. It's only his second year and I think we're going to have to see more performance wise before he becomes our 1/2 starting CB. Not the guy.
Sam Shields the only guy left. He is very talented and has BLAZING speed. I think he has gotten lazy since his rookie year and started taking chances only to bail himself out with his speed when he misses. Which admittedly, has happened often. But he was what I consider the spark for our Super Bowl run 2 years ago and has only gained experience since then. People are talking about him getting cut? No way! Not with his talent and speed. He's still only played CB for 2 years and he's learning. Give him time. He'll get better. Once upon a time everyone gave up hope on another Packer CB named Jarrett Bush. I think he's turned out alright. I see Shields potential at worst to be at Jarrett Bush's level. The Packers organization is probably hoping all this criticism lights a fire under him and he comes out above his 2010 year. Which I think he will. This kid's got it all. Don't be surprised to see him lining up opposite of Tramon next year and lighting it up. He's definately got the potential too. He IS the guy. :tup:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say Sam shields would be higher on the depth chart than Hayward at least going into the season. I Re Read an article on House last year on a different thread and The CB's coach makes it pretty clear he knows he dropped Shields into the fire a bit too early and didn't want to do the same with House. So I wouldn't be surprised to see him let Hayward sit on the back burner and really learn this Defense before he gets a real shot. Barring injuries of course. Special teams play could also affect who stays and who goes IMO.

I'm not saying that Shields fits in a depth chart like I wrote, only that those were obvious 5 corners to make the cut.

As far as Hayward getting out there--if he's really the other best corner, you start him. Even if he is a rookie, you play your best players.

Members online

Latest posts