Salary Cap Update.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Favre retiring we will get 11.4 million. We currently have 24 million so we will have around 35-36 million which currently may be the most in the entire NFL. I will try and find that article i found and post it on here.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By Favre retiring we will get 11.4 million. We currently have 24 million so we will have around 35-36 million which currently may be the most in the entire NFL. I will try and find that article i found and post it on here.
:shock: Wow.....we sure have plenty of dough now!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What will we do with that money now? Obviously we could lock up someone like Jennings by re-doing his deal and Grant's possibly...the free agents that were highly sought after are gone now. Would have been nice to get Asante Samuel with some of that money!

packersfan4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I don't think we are going to go out and spend it on a bunch of free agents. My guess is that it will be used to lock up some of our own guys to long term deals. Kampmann, Grant, Jennings, Pickett, Jolly, and probably Rodgers come to mind.

OP
OP
P

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so long ago when franchise quarterbacks like Troy Aikman and Steve Young retired, their respective teams dropped like anchors because the contracts they had given to the two were adjusted so many times that huge amounts of salary cap money were due immediately upon their retirement.

It took the Cowboys and 49ers years to escape from salary cap hell.

The Packers will not face the same problem. In fact, they're going to have as much or more salary cap room as any team in the NFL once quarterback Brett Favre files his retirement papers.

All that is remaining in pro-rated signing bonus money on Favre's contract is $600,000. That's an amazingly low figure and credit for that has to be given to former negotiator Andrew Brandt, who constructed the deal in 2001.

As soon as Favre officially retires, the Packers will remove Favre's base salary of $12 million from their books. They'll have to subtract the $600,000 in pro-rated signing bonus left, which means they'll gain $11.4 million in salary cap room.

As it stands now, the Packers are about $24 million under the 2008 salary cap of $116 million. Add on the Favre money and they're $35 million under the cap.

One thing they'll have to be watchful of is making sure they reach the minimum amount each team must spend to satisfy the collective bargaining agreement. I have to do some more research to find that amount, but it's something like 65% of the salary cap.

UPDATE: According to my research, a team must spend at least 75% of the annual salary cap.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok let me get this straight.

your telling me we were in the NFC championship game LAST SEASON.

this season we have the most cap money of any team. and only lost one (albeit very integral part) player on the team.

our management sucks. we need some new front office guys.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think a large part of the applauds go to Brett too for not constantly wanting to redo his contract and get more bonuses.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With that ammount of money, you gotta wonder who they extend on the team now, and what players they go after that are still available. Heck.... they got the room now to move up in the draft and draft an impact player if they want to. It is scary!

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not so long ago when franchise quarterbacks like Troy Aikman and Steve Young retired, their respective teams dropped like anchors because the contracts they had given to the two were adjusted so many times that huge amounts of salary cap money were due immediately upon their retirement.

It took the Cowboys and 49ers years to escape from salary cap hell.

The Packers will not face the same problem. In fact, they're going to have as much or more salary cap room as any team in the NFL once quarterback Brett Favre files his retirement papers.

All that is remaining in pro-rated signing bonus money on Favre's contract is $600,000. That's an amazingly low figure and credit for that has to be given to former negotiator Andrew Brandt, who constructed the deal in 2001.

As soon as Favre officially retires, the Packers will remove Favre's base salary of $12 million from their books. They'll have to subtract the $600,000 in pro-rated signing bonus left, which means they'll gain $11.4 million in salary cap room.

As it stands now, the Packers are about $24 million under the 2008 salary cap of $116 million. Add on the Favre money and they're $35 million under the cap.

One thing they'll have to be watchful of is making sure they reach the minimum amount each team must spend to satisfy the collective bargaining agreement. I have to do some more research to find that amount, but it's something like 65% of the salary cap.

UPDATE: According to my research, a team must spend at least 75% of the annual salary cap.
PL thats insane :shock:
and i hope im not the only one who's overjoyed by this viewpoint of the pack, even without FAs jumping onto the green and gold bandwagon...that much capspace is great for ANY team building from the inside out! w00t!

Reaction score

That means the Packers must use 87 million dollars this year.

Since they'd have about 35 million dollars in space, the Packers would stand somewhere around 81 million dollars.

That means the Packers must spend 6 million dollars more to meet league requirements.

Keep in mind, the Packers will have their drafted players to sign also, so they do NOT have to spend at least 6 million in Free Agency.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much will Rogers pay go up now that he is starting?

Very good point. Rogers contract had significant incentive pay based on playing time, but that increase is no where near $11 million.

GB still will come out with some salary cap space for TT to use for extending contracts. I doubt much, if any, will be used for big FA signings.

GO PACK GO!!!

mateus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Since they'd have about 35 million dollars in space, the Packers would stand somewhere around 81 million dollars.

That means the Packers must spend 6 million dollars more to meet league requirements.

Keep in mind, the Packers will have their drafted players to sign also, so they do NOT have to spend at least 6 million in Free Agency.
6 million on draft picks/entensions is reasonable and possible in our case.
i like where were sitting guys!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hind sight, doesn't this make the loss of Corey Williams seem kind of... dumb?

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Can I get a "Should we trade for Larry Fitzgerald?" thread, anyone? :lol: :pop:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cap situation is all good.

T.T. is not going to buy a new house. Unless I am wrong he is not a C.E.O. of a N.Y.S.E company on a profit fee for service contract.

What I find totally amazing is this.....

Brett had a massive check in front of him, and he passed on cashing it. He said: "Naw... I do not want to endorse and deposit this. I do not need the money, and it is not worth it."

****.... I found a refund check for 59.00 from two years ago that I forgot to cash, and tried to cash, it but it was expired. I was pissed, I was angry at myself. That is a steak dinner I could have had.

Can you even imagine having a check like Brett had in his hand and saying... Naw... I will pass on that. I am mentally tired?

All Brett had to do was show up out of shape and with no mental fortitude and cash his last check that was guaranteed to him. Brett said: "No!"

Scary!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hind sight, doesn't this make the loss of Corey Williams seem kind of... dumb?

If only Favre would have decided before free agency....

see? this is why i complained about this every offseason.

oh well....

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

oh well....

well, now you won't have to worry about it next year. And, if Favre is something that attracts people to play in GB, and if we didn't know whether or not he would come back, the assumption for the FA would be that he wouldn't be there. So, how does him not coming back hurt us more than not knowing. if he decided to come back, i think you'd have a legitimate gripe... like you did last year.... and the year before that. but not this year, not ever again.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Veretax said:

oh well....

well, now you won't have to worry about it next year. And, if Favre is something that attracts people to play in GB, and if we didn't know whether or not he would come back, the assumption for the FA would be that he wouldn't be there. So, how does him not coming back hurt us more than not knowing. if he decided to come back, i think you'd have a legitimate gripe... like you did last year.... and the year before that. but not this year, not ever again.

Because FAs want to know. They want certainty. Not IFs. The "you won't have to worry about it anymore" line won't make ME cry. It's one of the few good things coming out of this crappy situation.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
tromadz said:
Veretax said:

oh well....

Because FAs want to know. They want certainty. Not IFs. The "you won't have to worry about it anymore" line won't make ME cry. It's one of the few good things coming out of this crappy situation.

i am not trying to make you cry (i am smarter than that!). you're not making me cry... Rodg's mustache, on the other hand...

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

oh well....

the second round pick we got should ease some of your pain

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I thought Corey Williams said he didn't want to be in Green Bay anymore?

I'm not sure I can connect the dots between Brett retiring and us making the trade for a 2nd round pick in a draft in which many say is very deep.

With or without Brett, I believe the trade would have happened. Corey wanted money he wasn't worth and Ted doesn't play that game.

Members online

Latest posts