Saints stat padding/running up score continues in playoffs

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Given that the Lions had four 4th qtr comebacks this season, and the fact that they were moving the ball up and down the field in big chucks against the Saints D the entire game, I call what the Saints did securing the win. Now if the Saints would've tried punching it in the endzone on their very last possession of the game (which they could've very easily done), THAT would've been unnecessarily running up the score.....this is the big leagues guys, quit your whining...

BigMamou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think the saints were running up the score. had a 1st and goal at the one with 2 min. left and knelt on the ball; hardly running up the score. brees was taken out at the end of the 3rd quarter in the colts game and the saints did not attempt a pass (even on third and longs) in the 4th quarter. dont know what the big deal is...

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, time to clear a couple things up. I made this post last night drunk and kinda angry. Not at the Saints, but at the Lions for absolutely botching EVERY opportunity the Saints tried so hard to give them. Brees throws 3 picks and the Lions catch zero of them, the refs take a TD away from the Lions on a fumble recovery, etc. It was clear that the Lions were on par with the Saints in their own dome but once they stopped capitalizing on opportunities and leaving WRs so wide open that it was actually a little weird, it got out of hand.

I wasn't actually referring to the drive with a 10 point lead, that is understandable and expected. What I was referring to was the last drive when they did NOT score. They were trying with everything they had to score again before the 2:00 warning to accomplish nothing other than stats. Run the clock out with 3:00 left or take shots in the endzone? Hmm.. I am positive Flynn or A-Rod would have been handing it to Kuhn/Starks/Grant/Saine on that drive, as would all the other playoff teams. Just because they failed to score and knelt when they had to doesn't mean they didn't try to score with everything they had before default kneeling time. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I initially thought when I was buzzed up and annoyed, that's a real possibility. But one thing is for sure, #9 is the most deserving MVP of all time, the Most Valuable Padder.

But, in the end, I don't really give a crap and would have never even consider making this post sober (sorry for the unnecessary drama lol). I wish they would have scored 100 points and set every single season playoff record in history, it would just be that much more hilarious to watch them get beat on the road like they do close to 50% of the time anyway.

And for the record, Flynn still had a better game against this team last week regardless, with nothing other than pride and a multi-million $$ contract on the line, HA!

That is all.

P.S. GO SAINTS next week I'd love nothing more than to shove a beating down their throats. If you can't beat/don't want to play the top competition, you're in the wrong sport.

Legends will be cemented in stone and crow will be eaten, when the Saints come to town, and march home beaten. GO PACK

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, as for the scar on his face, lol, I think it was a big birth mark that he had removed and now it looks way worse than it did before. I'd rather have a natural birthmark than a giant scar, but I'm not going to pick on a guy for something he was born with. I'm sure the ladies don't mind it so why should I?? lol

GVN2FLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you seriously restoring to actually wanting Brees to get hurt? Making fun of how he looks with a helmet or what he has on his face? WOW. So much for the Saints fan base being "dumb" and "annoying," .... Geez!!

Bring on the GIANTS!!! That's all I care about right now!!

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P.S. GO SAINTS next week I'd love nothing more than to shove a beating down their throats. If you can't beat/don't want to play the top competition, you're in the wrong sport.

Legends will be cemented in stone and crow will be eaten, when the Saints come to town, and march home beaten. GO PACK

So, if this is how you really feel why were you in such a drunken rage last night when Detroit did not knock the Saints out of the playoffs? Sorry but your story just does not add up.

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, if this is how you really feel why were you in such a drunken rage last night when Detroit did not knock the Saints out of the playoffs? Sorry but your story just does not add up.

Because it would have been great, just like the Steelers loss to the Broncos was great! WAAAAYYY less people than you think are worried about playing your mediocre road team. I would much rather play the Saints in Lambeau than the Giants. The Giants have a scary pass rush and can play lights out in the cold and on the road. The Saints are borderline pushovers away from their own dome. Facts are facts, ask Marshawn Lynch..

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facts are facts, and the fact is you're scared. That's the reason you were pulling for the Lions and we both know it. You can now pretend that you want to play the best opponent possible, but your anxiety over the Saints advancing is inconsistent with the new belief system to which you claim to adhere.

And hey, if it makes you rest easier to think the Saints are going to be anywhere close to a pushover then knock yourself out. I enjoy watching you play mind games on yourself.

V Chip

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again with the story of Brees padding his stats...

From the splits on NFL.com:
Brees has 7% of his yards when up 16 or more points. Rodgers has 12%.
Brees has 11% of his TDs when up 16 or more points. Rodgers has 18%.
Brees has 52% of his yards when winning and 54% of his TDs. Rodgers has 65% and 71% respectively.
Brees has 21% of his yards, 24% of TDs in the 4th quarter. Rodgers has 19%/22%.
Brees has 42% of his yards, 50% of TDs in the second half. Rodgers has 49%/49%.
Brees has 0 interceptions when up 16 or more. Rodgers has 3.
Brees got pulled from 4 games when leading, same as Rodgers (not counting the Detroit game when Rodgers did not play).
Brees missed 41:41 from games he was pulled. Rodgers missed 38:15.
The Saints were winning by an average margin of 28.5 when Brees got pulled. The Packers were up by a 27.5 average.

Rodgers had a great year -- MVP great -- as did the Packers. I don't see the need to try and denigrate Brees' achivements or talk about "padding stats" when it's a game of professionals paid to stop the other team, as well as when one player/team is called out for doing so and others ignored (usually the player/team that is the favorite of the one calling the others out).

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Facts are facts, and the fact is you're scared. That's the reason you were pulling for the Lions and we both know it. You can now pretend that you want to play the best opponent possible, but your anxiety over the Saints advancing is inconsistent with the new belief system to which you claim to adhere.

And hey, if it makes you rest easier to think the Saints are going to be anywhere close to a pushover then knock yourself out. I enjoy watching you play mind games on yourself.

The fact is I'm more scared about the Giants right now than the Saints because we actually have to play the Giants. But I'm not scared of the Giants either. They're a good team and they're hot right now and I'm looking foward to a good game.

If we get past the Giants I'll worry about the Saints....or the 9ers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Again with the story of Brees padding his stats...

From the splits on NFL.com:
Brees has 7% of his yards when up 16 or more points. Rodgers has 12%.
Brees has 11% of his TDs when up 16 or more points. Rodgers has 18%.
Brees has 52% of his yards when winning and 54% of his TDs. Rodgers has 65% and 71% respectively.
Brees has 21% of his yards, 24% of TDs in the 4th quarter. Rodgers has 19%/22%.
Brees has 42% of his yards, 50% of TDs in the second half. Rodgers has 49%/49%.
Brees has 0 interceptions when up 16 or more. Rodgers has 3.
Brees got pulled from 4 games when leading, same as Rodgers (not counting the Detroit game when Rodgers did not play).
Brees missed 41:41 from games he was pulled. Rodgers missed 38:15.
The Saints were winning by an average margin of 28.5 when Brees got pulled. The Packers were up by a 27.5 average.

Rodgers had a great year -- MVP great -- as did the Packers. I don't see the need to try and denigrate Brees' achivements or talk about "padding stats" when it's a game of professionals paid to stop the other team, as well as when one player/team is called out for doing so and others ignored (usually the player/team that is the favorite of the one calling the others out).

Brees has multi int games..Rodgers had none, for me that is more telling for MV, then any other int stats

Trying to figure out where your stats came from

but found this

http://www.nfl.com/player/aaronrodgers/2506363/situationalstats

Rodgers ahead by 9 to 16 points- tosses 69 times

4th q, tossed 98 times

Margin +15 tossed it 125 times

4th q with in 7 points, tossed 36 times

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/situationalstats

Brees ahead 9 to 16 points, tossed 86 times

4th q tossed 163 times

Margin +15 tossed it 224 times

4th q with in 7 points, tossed 75 times

V Chip

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees has multi int games..Rodgers had none, for me that is more telling for MV, then any other int stats
I wasn't using INT stats, I was debunking the oft-repeated incorrect statement "Brees Pads his Stats." If one is trying to pad stats when ahead by a big margin, you would see larger numbers of everything -- yards, TDs, attempts, interceptions. It's one more part of the overall picture.

That's where they are from.

There's one category not listed which is up by 16 or more, so I took the total of "ahead 1-8" and "ahead 9-16" and subtracted that from "ahead" to get the remaining portion; ahead 16+.

I hadn't done attempts but those show the same type of results:
Brees has 8% of his attempts when winning by 16+; Rodgers has 14%.
Brees has 20% of passes when winning by 8+; Rodgers has 28%.
Brees has 51% of his attempts when winning; Rodgers has 65%.
Brees has 23% of his attempts in the 4th quarter; Rodgers has 20%.
They both have 45% of their attempts in the second half.

The "Margin" stats are based off the ending game score, not the situation of the game so I found them a bit useless in a discussion about "padding stats."

Members online

Latest posts