Saints stat padding/running up score continues in playoffs

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Throwing bombs with 4:00 left up by 3 scores is classy I guess. I remember Brady and the gang being bashed for this very thing a few years ago. I don't root for injuries EVER, but I would have understood if Suh stuck a helmet on a certain QB's knee towards the end of that one. The football gods will strike these guys down VERY soon. I can already see it. This isn't college football, there are no style points.

I MOVED YOUR THREAD TO NFL SECTION

LONGTIMEFAN

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
During the regular season I can understand it to a point because it could make or break a team winning the division. But in the playoffs it's BS.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I think I zoned out a bit near the end. Turned down the volume and didn't pay close enough attention when it got away.

The refs were a bit into the Saints tonight though.....

Lions tackling was also horrendous.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Saints got a couple nice spots, and Lions missed some opportunities created by their D I would like to think we would not have.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
Niners are going to clobber them next week anyway.

Do you really think so? I've only seen the Niners once or twice this year (the Harbaugh Bowl, for one) - I'm going to have a hard time picking that game. I don't think N.O. is very good outdoors, and I know the Niners' D should have a decent day...hard getting a read on that one, for me.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its called PRO-FOOTBALL! They are paid to score points, the D is paid to stop them, go ahead stop them! I had enough of this crying about running up the score.
They are paid to win games. How they go about their business after it is established that they will win the game is their choice. Things always have a way of evening themselves out.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Classy or not it's kinda silly. If you're up by 3 scores with 4:00, why not run the ball and run out the clock rather than risk your QB getting hit? /shrug

I didn't get to watch a lot of the game, but what I see is a) give Saints their due. They could not be stopped in the 2nd half. b) Det is young, inexperienced and not that well-coached, hence the mistakes, plus they almost never blitzed and their secondary was bad, c) Refs screwed Det out of a TD again just like they did in GB, d) Saints are a very heavy blitzing defense. The kind of gambling can lead to pressure on the QB but also leaves ppl wide open if your QB gets time. If Rodgers and the Pack prepares for this and reads the blitzes, he could dismantle the Saints defense.

And last, the 9ers aren't prone to make the same kind of mistakes the Lions do. They are well-coached, they'll be well-prepared and the Saints could be in for a real game. Now if SF could just score some....

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
What bugs me most is how Drew Brees always looks like he does not have a neck when he is playing. It is very unfortunate that his head has to look so large with a helmet on compared to his body.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Classy or not it's kinda silly. If you're up by 3 scores with 4:00, why not run the ball and run out the clock rather than risk your QB getting hit? /shrug

I didn't get to watch a lot of the game, but what I see is a) give Saints their due. They could not be stopped in the 2nd half. b) Det is young, inexperienced and not that well-coached, hence the mistakes, plus they almost never blitzed and their secondary was bad, c) Refs screwed Det out of a TD again just like they did in GB, d) Saints are a very heavy blitzing defense. The kind of gambling can lead to pressure on the QB but also leaves ppl wide open if your QB gets time. If Rodgers and the Pack prepares for this and reads the blitzes, he could dismantle the Saints defense.

And last, the 9ers aren't prone to make the same kind of mistakes the Lions do. They are well-coached, they'll be well-prepared and the Saints could be in for a real game. Now if SF could just score some....

They should not have major issues IMO with a very overrated Saints D that does not travel well. If they do have issues then yikes.

49ers are a very physical team. Win or lose Harbaugh is gonna have his boys jacked up.

OP
OP
PackMan13x

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its called PRO-FOOTBALL! They are paid to score points, the D is paid to stop them, go ahead stop them! I had enough of this crying about running up the score.

No, it's called bushleague football. I can't wait to roll around my living room floor laughing when Brees goes down trying to set playoff records.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, it's called bushleague football. I can't wait to roll around my living room floor laughing when Brees goes down trying to set playoff records.

Also from what I heard, the Lions had several opportunities to pick off Brees and they just dropped the ball. That and the Lions couldn't tackle a paper bag that game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What bugs me most is how Drew Brees always looks like he does not have a neck when he is playing. It is very unfortunate that his head has to look so large with a helmet on compared to his body.
Yeah, and what the heck is that thing under his right cheek?
He should get that taken care of.
I get distracted by that... weird mutant growth thing which attached itself to his face whenever he's interviewed.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Do you really think so? I've only seen the Niners once or twice this year (the Harbaugh Bowl, for one) - I'm going to have a hard time picking that game. I don't think N.O. is very good outdoors, and I know the Niners' D should have a decent day...hard getting a read on that one, for me.

I do. I know the Saints have a big edge in playoff experience, but the niners are playing at home and it's awfully hard to beat a team with great defense 3 times in a row.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with both you guys.
On the one hand I have no problem with a team scoring as much as they can. Each team has a right to do that.
On the other, I wanted the Lions to win so that they would shut up the Aint's fans especially from the "Brees deserves the MVP just because he is much more of a good guy than Rodgers" "talk" I have seen posted on here from Saints fans of other forums.
Like you, cheesehead, I wanna see the Saints burn and burn real bad in the playoffs against anyone.

Since I am first and foremost a Packers fan I have no problem at all hoping that one SB win is all "Nice guy" Brees ever gets.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't hate the Saints more than any other team, but I am getting kind of sick of their fans. I think it's because they've set their sights on us as the team. They really want to beat us and have been talking smack for a while, but that happens when you're defending SB Champs and are the #1 seed. Take it as a badge of honor.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the playoffs. I don't know which you are referring to: When they were up 38-28 and he threw the TD or at the end? Regardless he kneeled to end the game so it's null and void to say that's "running the score". As for a 10 pt lead with a Lions dangerous offense I don't blame him for going for a killer TD to go up by 17. We did the same thing and played Aaron til it was 45-21 against Atlanta. If you're hot, why not continue? This isn't against the pitiful Colts, every team in the playoffs more or not deserves to be in and is dangerous. Play all 60 min. That's what Lombardi would want. It's not like this was the 63-7 game against the Colts. Now THAT game was classless. This not so much.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Niner fans can be funny........

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Why do you guys seriously care?

From reading this forum you'd think the Saints were in the NFC North, you people ***** and moan about them still scoring in the 4th quarter worse than anyone I have ever seen. Were you complaining about them doing it a few years ago when they won the Super Bowl? Why is it only the Saints that get singled out for doing it? If you're going to push them, you might as well single out the 90's Cowboys, 90's Bills, '91 Redskins, 80's and 90's 49ers, 90's Oilers, '98 Vikings, oh, and I forgot one; the 1999 greatest show on turf rams, and last but not least the 2010 Packers who ran it up in a couple of games, and let's add to the list; 2000's Patriots, 2000's Colts...etc

Better yet WHAT WERE YOU SAYING when the Packers were still scoring and throwing in the 4th quarter of games last year? We're you defending your team when Giants fans said they were stat padding Rodgers to a 400 passing yard game? Did you think it was wrong that we were still throwing passes with Flynn in the Dallas game while the crowd was chanting them to keep scoring? And what about that Atlanta playoff game? Did we really have to drive down the field and score around TD to run it up to 48 points? Practice what you preach.

This *****ing and crying about running scores and stats up is getting old. They KNELLED on it at the goal line when they had a chance to score 50 points, and who really gives a **** if they are still throwing the ball with a lead in the 4th quarter? What are you going to tell your team, not score?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score

Exactly!

And it's not the Packers don't like to run it up either

2010 - Giants, Cowboys, Falcons games, all of them they were still scoring in the 4th quarter, running it up to 45+ points, the Giants game they continued to throw until Rodgers had a 400+ yard game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I'll stand corrected on. The Saints were going for it with 4:00 left and I believe they were up 38-28. Ten points is not a lead you can trust, not against the Lions. They were right to go for it and I have no problem with it.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
From press conference after the game:

“We were pulling out all the stops,” Brees said. “We play aggressive. We’re not going to apologize for that. That gives guys in the huddle a lot of confidence. We’re not going to pull the reins back. It’s pedal to the metal.”

And that is why you run the score up, especially if you're only up 10. Don't expect an apology from those guys playing real football.

By the way, remember those close games this year where people on this board were arguing that McCarthy shouldn't take his foot off the gas? No room to talk about a team running it up....

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea hard to argue with a team securing their win by going for the jugular...particularly in the playoffs. The Saints looked good in the Superdome, that wasn't a surprise to me. It will be interesting to see next week's game...not sure what to think about the 9ers.

Members online

Latest posts