Saints punishment... wow. just wow.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I wanted to win that SB. But, I don't want it now. You win your titles on the field. The Colts did not win the title that year.

The Saints still earned that SB trophy.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They got the suspensions correct but the fine should have been much larger ($5 million +) and they should have lost all picks this year and their 1st next. This needs to be out of the game, hopefully this will stamp it out.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Saints were bragging during their Super Bowl Party about how good they were.

Horse CRAP.

As far as I'm concerned...with their deliberate, willful, organized and Team/Coach - sanctioned bounty program which succeeded in hurting Favre, Warner and others ....THEY DIDN'T GET IT BAD ENOUGH TODAY. Jonathan Vilma and some of the other JAG-OFFS who ENJOYED that CRAP need the year (or two) off without pay too.

TAKE AWAY THE SUPER BOWL TROPHY ...... that would maybe get thru to even the dumbest jerks in New Orleans.

Better yet... time for a team in Los Angeles. What better team in the City of Angels...than the Saints!

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Injuring another player: legal
Purposely injuring another player: legal, so long as you don't break any other rule to do it.
Getting paid extra to injure another player: illegal.
Moral bankruptcy: priceless

Lets not forget that the only reason the Saints are in trouble here is that they got paid. The only real reason bounties are illegal is because it's expensive to fix broken players. That being said, I still agree with the bounty ban and severe punishment for those who violate this rule. I do not however consider it cheating, and they should NOT lose their rings.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Not sure I understand why moving the franchise would even on the table.

If I'm the owner I fire the coach. I keep the Gm and instructhim to not resign brees. And I go into rebuild mode.

How can you deal with losing a HC for a year? Having an interim is awkward.

I trade any player of value for picks. I distance myself and team from anything having to do with this embarrassment.

I'm not exactly filled in on this, remind me again what the hell Brees had to do with anything other than not stopping it? Also good to know that you rebuild a team which still has bowl potential, effectively ******** your chances of getting there for the next 5-10 years.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Too bad they never put a bounty on Jim Caldwell during the SB. Maybe we could have gotten rid of him sooner in Indy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not exactly filled in on this, remind me again what the hell Brees had to do with anything other than not stopping it? Also good to know that you rebuild a team which still has bowl potential, effectively ******** your chances of getting there for the next 5-10 years.
Brees had nothing to do with the bounty issue, as far as I know.

Why I mentioned Brees is that the Saints offered him a contract that reportedly would have made him the highest paid player in NFL history and he refused to sign it.

http://www.nola.com/golf/index.ssf/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_qb_drew_bre.html

My point is the team may be falling apart at the seems. If several defensive players get suspended, an interim head coach; they are going to have a tough season.

If you are the owner, do you even want the coach back? If it was me, I would announce he was a disgrace to the NFL and fire him. I would distance myself and my billion dollar investment from the scandal.

And no, with the losses they are looking at, I would not consider them a SB team.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Brees had nothing to do with the bounty issue, as far as I know.

Why I mentioned Brees is that the Saints offered him a contract that reportedly would have made him the highest paid player in NFL history and he refused to sign it.

http://www.nola.com/golf/index.ssf/2012/03/new_orleans_saints_qb_drew_bre.html

My point is the team may be falling apart at the seems. If several defensive players get suspended, an interim head coach; they are going to have a tough season.

If you are the owner, do you even want the coach back? If it was me, I would announce he was a disgrace to the NFL and fire him. I would distance myself and my billion dollar investment from the scandal.

And no, with the losses they are looking at, I would not consider them a SB team.

Touche. But I believe those loses are more the result of losing their coaches. The Saints are a fairly complete team, so they MAY be able to address their needs with only their lower picks.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Let's recap the last few days.

1) Manning joins the Denver Broncos for 5 years 96 million
2) Tim Tebow joins the Jets of all teams.
3) Sean Payton suspended for full season

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's recap the last few days.

1) Manning joins the Denver Broncos for 5 years 96 million
2) Tim Tebow joins the Jets of all teams.
3) Sean Payton suspended for full season

Now THAT's a wild week for you ...so far...

Valhalla Express

SKOL VIKINGS!
Reaction score
After reading through player tweets, interviews, amd articles defending the "Bounty System", my feeling is, if the players really want to be paid for great plays then the league should accommodate them. Fantasy here, but have the NFL drop all the multi-million dollar contracts and bonuses given to these athletes. Each players signs a "Play For Pay" contract that gives them $250,000 a year base pay. For each positive play/yard/score/tackle/sack/etc. the player receives $2000. For every negative play in the forms of yards lost/INT/sack allowed/etc they lose $1000. Penalties will cost the player $5000 (after game review by neutral party to determine if the penalty is a payable offense). Players get health insurance against injury that only kicks in when they are partipating in NFL sanctioned events, so a player shooting themselves in the leg at the night club will be on your dime. 401K is available and the NFL will match their investment +5%. Contract will state that any offenses/crimes outside the work environment (these directly impact the team since player is a representative of the NFL and the team) and after trial, will result in an immediate minimum 4 game suspension and a $50,000 fine. If performance enhancing drugs are found in the players system they are hit with an immediate 8 game suspension and $50,000 fine. Second offenses to either of the aforementioned add 4 games suspended and an extra $25,000 to the fine. Third offense of either equals a lifetime ban and cancellation of the contract.

I'm sure there could be some tweaking done and items added. But some of the players ***** and moan so much about everything being so unfair and that bounties are a normal part of the game, it would be nice to see the NFL clean ship completely.

My puerile brain is working overtime. Remember, it's only a fantasy. lol

~Val

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
After reading through player tweets, interviews, amd articles defending the "Bounty System", my feeling is, if the players really want to be paid for great plays then the league should accommodate them. Fantasy here, but have the NFL drop all the multi-million dollar contracts and bonuses given to these athletes. Each players signs a "Play For Pay" contract that gives them $250,000 a year base pay. For each positive play/yard/score/tackle/sack/etc. the player receives $2000. For every negative play in the forms of yards lost/INT/sack allowed/etc they lose $1000. Penalties will cost the player $5000 (after game review by neutral party to determine if the penalty is a payable offense). Players get health insurance against injury that only kicks in when they are partipating in NFL sanctioned events, so a player shooting themselves in the leg at the night club will be on your dime. 401K is available and the NFL will match their investment +5%. Contract will state that any offenses/crimes outside the work environment (these directly impact the team since player is a representative of the NFL and the team) and after trial, will result in an immediate minimum 4 game suspension and a $50,000 fine. If performance enhancing drugs are found in the players system they are hit with an immediate 8 game suspension and $50,000 fine. Second offenses to either of the aforementioned add 4 games suspended and an extra $25,000 to the fine. Third offense of either equals a lifetime ban and cancellation of the contract.

I'm sure there could be some tweaking done and items added. But some of the players ***** and moan so much about everything being so unfair and that bounties are a normal part of the game, it would be nice to see the NFL clean ship completely.

My puerile brain is working overtime. Remember, it's only a fantasy. lol

~Val

Hmm, the only hole I see for now is that certain players (no names mentioned) who do nothing will still get paid large amounts of money for say "tackle assist" when all he really did was flop on top of the pile or not getting the ball because the qb didn throw to him because he knew he couldn catch. On the other hand, Jennings, Matthews, and Rodgers would be the end of our franchise; we couldn't afford them.

Vltrophy

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
For years Benson wanted to move out of this State with the ultimate goal of selling the team.

GM had some involvement too. Might cost a pretty penny to get Payton out of his contract as well.

Truthfully doubt it's going to make that much difference to them. Interim coach knows system. Offensive coordinator is still there. Defense needed work so maybe it works out better for them?
I think RB1958 must be on some kinda drugs or something. If the Saints don't resing Brees the fans would go freaking crazy. They would once again be the Aints. The owner has TOO MUCH invested to move the team. The fans would hate him 10x more than the Browns fans hate Art Modell. Sean Payton will be back next year.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This response surprises me.
Then again, we should know your not a Colts homer with the Pack being your second team.

So, you really think so?
Did they or did they not have the bounty system in place playing the Colts?
Care to elaborate on what you mean by 'Fair and square?'

The packers. Did they or did they not have a bounty system in place against the Vikings running game when they injured AP?

So much drama. It's freaking football. Black and blue division -- what's that about? Violence. That's what this sport is about.

Like it or not, there is evidence of bounties existing across the league but we are not going to go there. Goodell has zero interest in making this a leaguewide issue (that would put him in Loomisland wouldn't it?) I really liked his investigation of the Redskins -- Born March 4th, Died March 21st.

Yeah, the Saints were stupid for not putting an end to all this when it first came up --but this is about locker room **** talk, not about an intent to injure players. Knock the hell out of them? You damn right, just as with any defense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOT OF swearing be prepared

Kill Frank Gores head

Hit Crabtrees ACL

Everytime in a pile hit the head, touch and hit the head

I hope not all coaches are this way

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts