Saints are dirty

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jess, with respect, don't be naive.

There is plenty of damning evidence already, and has been for years, that all professional sports are fixed to one degree or another. Basketball just happens to have gotten caught recently. Baseball dealt with it as best as it could during the Black Sox scandel. Boxing deals with it all the time. What would make you think football is above it?

These games aren't altruisitic in nature. They are a business. Businesses that revolve around a great deal of money. You put tons on money in any capital venture and you're bound to have graft and corruption on one or more levels. Look at your economy today.

and to put more refs on the field? Silly. They already get in the way.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Jess, with respect, don't be naive.

There is plenty of damning evidence already, and has been for years, that all professional sports are fixed to one degree or another. Basketball just happens to have gotten caught recently. Baseball dealt with it as best as it could during the Black Sox scandel. Boxing deals with it all the time. What would make you think football is above it?

These games aren't altruisitic in nature. They are a business. Businesses that revolve around a great deal of money. You put tons on money in any capital venture and you're bound to have graft and corruption on one or more levels. Look at your economy today.

and to put more refs on the field? Silly. They already get in the way.
If football is fixed, we'd be looking at a Favre/Manning Super Bowl. And that would've happened after a Favre/Packers NFC Championship. I'm not talking about rogue refs or players, that can happen. I'm talking about some sort of admistrative conspiracy from the top down in a league to fix games. Like Goodell picking winners or something.

I don't see how an extra ref behind the play gets in the way. That's what I would add. Two refs behind the play, one watches the offensive line for holding and other penalties, one never takes his eye off the QB.

charlotte

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...How many of said fans are calling "fix" already.

And as ridiculous as that is in this case - the revenue generated by a Favre/Manning matchup has far more potential than a Brees/Manning bowl - it will be an issue going forward times four.

Jess...Read my post again...I've highlighted the key words in the quote above.

Again, I think you are being extemely naive here. that is my opinion. Maybe when you get to be my age you'll be just as jaded as I am. Just trying to open up your eyes a bit.

As for extra refs? they have the technology to make that unnecessary if they would only implement it. Another remedy would be to have full time, professional refs. You do know these guys are dentists and lawyers that do this in the "spare" time, don't you?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
As the have the technology to put sensors in the tips of the balls to see how far they travel on the field. You could have exact measurements for 10 yards if they really wanted to.

Favre/Manning would probably have brought fewer viewers then say, Favre/Sanchez. Just think, rookie QB on the team the vet left the year before. Plus the Jets are an east coast team, and we all know how the media loves the east coast teams. New Orleans is the "tug at you heartstrings, let's get over the flood" type of team. Anyone who lives below sea level next the the sea should have their head examined.

Are the games fixed? Don't think so. But I do believe the refs call different players differently. Had that been Brady instead of Favre I would say you would have seen at least 5 penalties called on the hits. Rodgers would have been the same as Favre.

When the Colts win, in his after game interview, Manning says something about his "remember me" touchdown passes.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what the true intentions of the Refs are or if they make calls based on their bias towards one player or another.
But I do find it surprising when they help Burnt either by giving him a hand up off the ground or tucking his shoulder pad back in under his jersey.
Did they just do that for Burnt? Or do they help other QBs as well?
Whatever. I don't think they should be showing favor that way.
Besides, wouldn't they sorta be helping the team beat the play clock by helping the QB get back up?
Or is the clock stopped at that point?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I don't know what the true intentions of the Refs are or if they make calls based on their bias towards one player or another.
But I do find it surprising when they help Burnt either by giving him a hand up off the ground or tucking his shoulder pad back in under his jersey.
Did they just do that for Burnt? Or do they help other QBs as well?
Whatever. I don't think they should be showing favor that way.
Besides, wouldn't they sorta be helping the team beat the play clock by helping the QB get back up?
Or is the clock stopped at that point?
I have seen refs help many players up and tuck in their pads. I don't think they are favoring that player. I do think they call players differently though. It may not be a conscious thing. Once a player is known for a certain type of penalty I think the refs are more likely to call it on him then on someone who is not known for the same penalty.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen refs help many players up and tuck in their pads. I don't think they are favoring that player. I do think they call players differently though. It may not be a conscious thing. Once a player is known for a certain type of penalty I think the refs are more likely to call it on him then on someone who is not known for the same penalty.
OK Thank you for those insights. :derisive:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ala Ahmad Carroll
Now why do almost every thread end up with Ahmad Carroll, Tony Mandarich, Jamal Reynolds, Justin Harrell or Jarrett Bush (the last one is usually my fault)?

BTW, we know have Admiral Armbar on our team, let's remember it!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

Latest posts