Safeties

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think I´m actually the only one still talking about Byrd, shame on me. ;) Would be fine with drafting Brooks in the second round. But I have to agree with HyponGrey that Ellington wouldn´t be a great fit for the Packers offense nor do I like drafting players who have climbed the draft boards in April.
I said that? Don't remember that, but I don't like Ellington in our system with our current roster, and he's too short for TT to draft. I don't mind April risers though, hell the second best guy on our team (Clay) was one.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Honestly I respect your opinion more than anyone else on the thread because you always know the evidence to back up your claims.. I wanna hear what you think about Tramon playing a sole FS role... He has the speed and coverage skills.. What do you think captain? I would actually consider that move better than putting Hyde in the role.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think he has the recognition to play there, and we have a complicated FS system that puts a huge premium on reps. I need to see more of him in the slot before I can even attempt to try to project him.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I´m not a fan of moving Williams to FS. He has played outside his entire career, so I don´t think he possesses the natural instincts asked of in a FS. While I don´t think Hyde should be the only plan at FS I´d rather have him making the move than Tramon.
Big question, do you see Hyde as a better FS fit or SS fit?

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think he has the recognition to play there, and we have a complicated FS system that puts a huge premium on reps. I need to see more of him in the slot before I can even attempt to try to project him.

Williams played way more in the slot last year than during any previous season. He´s way better on the outside.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He wouldn't make us a better team.

Burnett's responsibility was to shadow Boldin on that play. If that play really ****** you off that much, you might want to think about drafting a guy that keeps that from happening EVERY DOWN because Burnett is covering the deep ball. Unless you don't like things like logic and just want to see a RB get blown up at the LOS while the Flanker catches a TD.

Shadow the flanker? It's cover 2 man, man underneath with two deep. His job is deep half inside to outside. He has to help over top. His read was slow and then he didn't make play. Even McCarthy came out and said he has to make that play.

Demaryius Thomas is a flanker right? He did't want to play anymore after this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Deone Bucannon is faster then Kam Chancellor.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Shadow the flanker? It's cover 2 man, man underneath with two deep. His job is deep half inside to outside. He has to help over top. His read was slow and then he didn't make play. Even McCarthy came out and said he has to make that play.

Demaryius Thomas is a flanker right? He did't want to play anymore after this.

Deone Bucannon is faster then Kam Chancellor.
He's being paid like a guy who would make that play. So yeah, he has to make it.

Wrong, Thomas is a split end.

You hit fetish idiots can't understand how football is played. You're focusing on the wrong damn Safety. Kam is NOT what this team needs. EARL THOMAS IS. It's because of Earl Thomas that Kam can even fill his role as a Shortfielder, Earl is the linchpin that allows that entire secondary, that entire defense to function.

Draft Earl Thomas, we don't need Kam Chancellor.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He's being paid like a guy who would make that play. So yeah, he has to make it.

Wrong, Thomas is a split end.

You hit fetish idiots can't understand how football is played. You're focusing on the wrong damn Safety. Kam is NOT what this team needs. EARL THOMAS IS. It's because of Earl Thomas that Kam can even fill his role as a Shortfielder, Earl is the engine that allows that entire secondary, that entire defense to function.

Draft Earl Thomas, we don't need Kam Chancellor.

I agree earl is the engine on that team. No disagreement there at all. I have said he is there best defender. My issue is who is the Earl Thomas in this draft? Terrence Brooks? They have been trying to replace Nick Collins for 3 years now. I want it to happen but maybe it's time to try something different. That is all I am saying.

D

Deleted member 6794

They have been trying to replace Nick Collins for 3 years now. I want it to happen but maybe it's time to try something different. That is all I am saying.

The thing that bothers me most is they haven´t actually tried to replace Collins. Thompson hasn´t invested a single draft pick into a free safety since Collins went down.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I agree earl is the engine on that team. No disagreement there at all. I have said he is there best defender. My issue is who is the Earl Thomas in this draft? Terrence Brooks? They have been trying to replace Nick Collins for 3 years now. I want it to happen but maybe it's time to try something different. That is all I am saying.
I'm saying you don't get better by adding more of the same. We don't have a single FS on the roster IMO. That's like saying we didn't need to replace Newhouse as the starting LT in 2011, we just needed to draft a third starting Guard. It doesn't work, and you don't get better doing it.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me most is they haven´t actually tried to replace Collins. Thompson hasn´t invested a single draft pick into a free safety since Collins went down.
Technically you could consider McMillian a pick in that direction. The guy's athleticism was off the charts, he just didn't have the skill or the comprehension. I was hopeful, but he never developed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Technically you could consider McMillian a pick in that direction, the guy's athleticism was off the charts. He just didn't have the skill or the comprehension. I was hopeful, but he never developed.

I always thought of McMillian as a SS.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I always thought of McMillian as a SS.
He was a potential FS, but essentially only ever amounted to a 3rd "Dollar" S in our system. When it became apparent that Richardson had him beat there there was no reason or room to keep him. Banjo and Jennings were "nice" tries.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Bottom line is they thought Burnett was gonna be the guy and they paid him, plus not drafting a true free safety last year. Now there behind the eight ball needing some rookie to come in and be effective in a position that takes some development. If you think about it though how many teams have dominant free safety?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Bottom line is they thought Burnett was gonna be the guy and they paid him, plus not drafting a true free safety last year. Now there behind the eight ball needing some rookie to come in and be effective in a position that takes some development. If you think about it though how many teams have dominant free safety?
And how many are looking for one? The Eagles only just now replaced Brian Dawkins with Malcom Jenkins! NE moved one of their best CB, McCourty, to FS because they couldn't stand the fail anymore. Thankfully college RB's are starting to switch. FS is a 3 year development wait, no sense making that wait longer by not trying to find one.

D

Deleted member 6794

There are some pretty good free safeties out there. Weddle, Byrd and Thomas (who has just agreed to a blockbuster deal with the Seahawks making him easily the highest paid safety in the league) have done a great job for some seasons, McCourty played really well last year for the Patriots.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
There are some pretty good free safeties out there. Weddle, Byrd and Thomas (who has just agreed to a blockbuster deal with the Seahawks making him easily the highest paid safety in the league) have done a great job for some seasons, McCourty played really well last year for the Patriots.
Generally you only need somebody average there anyway. So long as he lines everybody up and keeps everything in front of him, you're good. Still kinda pissed we didn't try to bring in Ryan Clark.

Members online

Latest posts