S. Jax

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think comparing the Packers to Washington or Carolina is comparing apples to apples when it comes to rushing the ball. The QB rushing the ball is more of a staple to the offense those teams run.

btw, Washington had a 1,600 yard rusher without RG III's attempts.

We do need a better running attack from the running back position.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think comparing the Packers to Washington or Carolina is comparing apples to apples when it comes to rushing the ball. The QB rushing the ball is more of a staple to the offense those teams run.

You brought up taking them away...
Rodgers rushed 54 times for 259 yards. Cobb rushed 10 times for 132 yards. They had the highest per carry average. Take them away and we didn't show much of a running game until Harris appeared on the scene late in the season.

So I took them away and we still averg 23 carries per game

My reply about rushing per game was more in reply to

According to nfl.com, in the 2012 regular season the Packers ran the ball an average of 27.1 times per game. That was good for .... wait for it .... .... 16th in the league. So 15 teams ran it more while 16 teams ran the ball fewer times per game. Rodgers certainly accounted for some of the rush attempts, how much more than the average QB I'm not sure. Still, it looks like McCarthy can be called "average" with regard to NFL rushing attempts.

I wasnt implying that the running game is great, or better than average or anything...Just the rushes per game is at 23 w/o the two players you mentioned

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More from Clayton's top-50 free agents:​
40. Steven Jackson, RB
2012 team: St. Louis Rams

While Reggie Bush may make for a better story, give us Jackson any day of the week. He's older but he's also the kind of guy who can run between the tackles and pick up the hard yards, earning a healthy 2.7 yards after contact per carry last season.

If he's truly the 40th best FA, his asking should be lower than expected - especially considering how depreciated RB's are in today's game. With that being said, I stand by my take that S. Jax would be a great addition to this offense if the price is right. Gets the hard yards, can catch it out the backfield, and should be a good game-closer in the 4th quarter.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was asking Border Rivals to tell me what he thinks the "right price" is, since he's standing by his take that for the right price Steven Jackson would be a great addition to this offense.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair point. I don't get into numbers because it is far too speculative in my mind and we don't understand how it impacts the rest of the cap and whatnot. With that being said, the price I had in mind was in the $2-4M range. Basically, a situation similar to JJ where he hit the market, but with no takers, we got him for a very favorable price. I can see the same thing happening with Jackson. And we could get him on a 2-year deal worth $6Mish.

H

HardRightEdge

I was asking Border Rivals to tell me what he thinks the "right price" is, since he's standing by his take that for the right price Steven Jackson would be a great addition to this offense.

Oh. It helps if you "reply to" the message you're replying to.

Somebody might give Jackson as much as $7 million for 2 years, but it won't be us.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh. It helps if you "reply to" the message you're replying to.

Somebody might give Jackson as much as $7 million for 2 years, but it won't be us.

Will do. I didn't because, for me, it seems redundant to do that for the post that's directly above the one i'm composing. Diff'rent strokes.

H

HardRightEdge

Will do. I didn't because, for me, it seems redundant to do that for the post that's directly above the one i'm composing. Diff'rent strokes.

I suppose that makes sense if everybody reads every post in the sequence in which they are written. I try...but often don't get past the first line or two unless something catches my attention. I doubt I'm alone in that.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I have no damn clue as to why a lot of people even entertain the idea of getting S. Jackson???
The RB position is a younger/fresher mans game. Jackson has definatly lost a couple steps and we don't need that. Jackson is a used car with toooo much mileage.....put'em out to pasture.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no damn clue as to why a lot of people even entertain the idea of getting S. Jackson???
The RB position is a younger/fresher mans game. Jackson has definatly lost a couple steps and we don't need that. Jackson is a used car with toooo much mileage.....put'em out to pasture.

People are desperate for a big name RB. They pretty much creamed their pants for benson.

OP
OP
BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People are desperate for a big name RB. They pretty much creamed their pants for benson.

Whoa... easy there. To clear the record, I hated the Benson signing (see here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-9r). And I'm not in favor of S. Jax because he's a big name. I'm in favor of him because, though he's old and definitely has a lot of mileage, the guy still produces at a clip we've not seen here in years. Over the last four years, he's not played in less than 15 games, and amasses 1,400+ yards - and that's on a terrible team. There's nothing to suggest he can't continue to produce, especially when he'd be on a much better team.

I'm not expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. But, we don't need that. He's dependable, and both effective gaining the tough yards and catching it out of the backfield. If his price is depreciated because of his age and mileage, he could be a big coup for this team. Imagine the thunder/lightning combo of Jax and Harris. It'd be a legitimate running attack, and one that'd finally force defenses to honor.

Remember, many people said the same thing about Corey Dillon when the Pats signed him and he turned in a few very productive seasons for them during their SB years. S. Jax could have a similar impact on this team.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For me, I don't care about having a big name. I just want a powerful back to complement Harris who can make 3rd and 1 a running down for us again. 3rd and short has just killed us the last couple years. I would love a guy like Ivory who I think could definitely be that guy. I wouldn't be opposed to S-Jax or Benson if the price is right, but I don't care if they're a big name or not. Just want someone who can pick up a short first down consistently.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa... easy there. To clear the record, I hated the Benson signing (see here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-9r). And I'm not in favor of S. Jax because he's a big name. I'm in favor of him because, though he's old and definitely has a lot of mileage, the guy still produces at a clip we've not seen here in years. Over the last four years, he's not played in less than 15 games, and amasses 1,400+ yards - and that's on a terrible team. There's nothing to suggest he can't continue to produce, especially when he'd be on a much better team.

I'm not expecting him to be a Pro Bowler. But, we don't need that. He's dependable, and both effective gaining the tough yards and catching it out of the backfield. If his price is depreciated because of his age and mileage, he could be a big coup for this team. Imagine the thunder/lightning combo of Jax and Harris. It'd be a legitimate running attack, and one that'd finally force defenses to honor.

Remember, many people said the same thing about Corey Dillon when the Pats signed him and he turned in a few very productive seasons for them during their SB years. S. Jax could have a similar impact on this team.

Whoa...according to some we don't need a RB period on a team or in a league that is pass happy. ;)

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me, I don't care about having a big name. I just want a powerful back to complement Harris who can make 3rd and 1 a running down for us again. 3rd and short has just killed us the last couple years. I would love a guy like Ivory who I think could definitely be that guy. I wouldn't be opposed to S-Jax or Benson if the price is right, but I don't care if they're a big name or not. Just want someone who can pick up a short first down consistently.

I'm not opposed to that either. I think alot of that has to do with our line though. I personally don't see a great 3rd and goal runner in FA that is affordable and age appropriate. A Michael bush like player would be appealing.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Don't take offense, that wasnt directed at you. It's just the general take of how excited the avg fan gets over a name they know, not the potential of the player.

Yes Corey dillon had a great year in NE. Solid production the other two years as well. You also need to take into consideration the wear and tear on the back. So the attempts. Dillion left for NE with 1865 attempts. Jackson at the moment has 2395. That is essentially like Jackson having 2 extra seasons of wear on him compared to Dillion.

I really can't think of a riskier move than investing a large amount of $ towards a 30 yr old RB when the norm is they fall apart at that age.

H

HardRightEdge

NE traded for Dillon 10 years ago. Without several more recent examples, he's a an exception that proves the rule.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I thought Benson was a good signing until he got injured. Age definitely doesn't discriminate on the Packers roster when it comes to injuries, so I can't really buy the argument of Benson only got hurt because he was older. It was just a freak injury. There's no doubt in my mind Steven Jackson would be a huge upgrade in the Packers backfield for a season or two. However, I don't see it happening because some other team will be willing to pay him more than the Packers will, just as will be the case with Chris Canty. It's understandable why, too, but it doesn't change the fact that they could help the Packers.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Benson was a good signing until he got injured.
Age definitely doesn't discriminate on the Packers roster when it comes to injuries, so I can't really buy the argument of Benson only got hurt because he was older. It was just a freak injury.

There's no doubt in my mind Steven Jackson would be a huge upgrade in the Packers backfield for a season or two.

However, I don't see it happening because some other team will be willing to pay him more than the Packers will, just as will be the case with Chris Canty.
It's understandable why, too, but it doesn't change the fact that they could help the Packers.
Well said on all that.....Canty will not sign with us.... I'd like him, but he used us once and I think he will again. Unless I am wrong, I am still pissed at him for doing that last time.

Benson WAS durable in his career... UNTIL he put on the Packer uniform.
Cullen Jenkins was brittle while a Packer, then, even when he was "older" and deemed expendable, he went to Philly and played 2 full seasons without missing a damn single game.
Cedric was a great addition for us and McCarthy was GIDDY getting him because he was tired of the nicks and missed time from Starks, Green, etc.
Then of course, Benson went down.

That's why I do not EVER want us to use a high pick on a RB because they will get hurt for us anyway.
However, so do our 1st Rd OTs, OLBs, 2nd Rd DEs, etc.

But on Steven Jackson..... I can see him coming to Green Bay. That's why I finally chimed in.
I think there's something to this one.... but as DoddPower said above, if someone else is going to throw a big $ at him, we're out.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More about our running game from ESPN:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...free-agency-offseason-plans-green-bay-packers

Team philosophies
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Offense -- This is a well-defined offense that rarely changes, and its philosophy suits its personnel well. It is a pass-first offense led by an excellent and creative playcaller, head coach Mike McCarthy. When the Packers do run the ball, they zone block up front and use a lot of finesse plays -- the stretch, draws and misdirection -- but they are not very effective at being physical between the tackles. Aaron Rodgers runs this offense to perfection with multi-receiver sets and spread formations. He can extend plays with his feet, is uncanny when it comes to keeping defenses confused with his cadence, is terrific at identifying and beating the blitz and will use a variety of personnel groupings.

Offensive line -- The lack of a consistent run game is partly a result of poor offensive line play, and inconsistent pass protection is resulting in too many hits on Rodgers. However, with a healthy group in 2013 and improvement by the Packers' young players, this group has a chance to quickly get better. With center Jeff Saturday gone, they will probably look for an interior backup player. The left side also needs to be examined, as that is where the most breakdowns in protection occur.

Running back -- How many years have we watched this team consistently win games without a legitimate run game? Part of the problem is an offensive line that struggles to open holes, but even if it did, none of these backs threaten a defense. This position has been a revolving door of fringe players, and without a solid run game, defenses are able to sit back in deep coverages and take away Rodgers' vertical passing game. They need a physical back with some explosiveness and speed to at least force defenses to play honestly.

Key free-agent move
Steven Jackson, RB, UFA
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Packers offense may never rely on a bell cow running back with Rodgers under center, because they don't need to. This passing attack is among the most prolific in football, and McCarthy manufactures yards at or near the line of scrimmage by using Cobb and inside shovel passes to tight ends, among other wrinkles.
Jackson has a lot of tread on his tires at age 29, but he's one of the more physical running backs in the NFL and has missed just two games over the past four seasons. He's an adept pass-catcher out of the backfield, and would form a nice one-two punch with late-season revelation DuJuan Harris, who the team appears to like quite a bit.
Jackson recently voided the final year on his contract and sounds intent on signing with a winning team that gives him a shot to reach the playoffs for the first time since his rookie season.
Green Bay remains the cream of the crop in the NFC North, but adding a physical presence in its backfield to help balance the offense would make this team an even stronger bet to challenge in the NFC next season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts