Ryan Matthews

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Matthews - RB - Fresno St.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZOFsVkjAo&feature=fvsr"]YouTube - RB Ryan Mathews 2009 highlights[/ame]

Couldn't find scouting reports worth posting, but he's considered a feature back, and is the #2 in Mike Mayock's RB board.

Don't remember about his hands, though, as his team used to just run him all the time...

Faced poor competition, but was the nation's leading rusher.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant is more of a down-hill runner. Matthews looks like he's a change of pace elusive back, exactly what we need.
He's not Spiller or Best.

But he's definitely NOT a one trick pony. He has much more elusiveness and speed than all the backs we have.

My only concern with him are his hands. We NEED a complementary back that can catch the ball. And he wasn't used like that in colledge. I only remember him catching screens (and then going the distance).

I would not be opposed, however, to get him and trade Grant for a pick, but that's not gonna happen.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched him at Camp Randall against Wisconsin... he had over 100 yards, but he didn't really impress me. I never said WOW. I think there are better options for the Packers.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But he's definitely NOT a one trick pony. He has much more elusiveness and speed than all the backs we have.

My only concern with him are his hands. We NEED a complementary back that can catch the ball. And he wasn't used like that in colledge. I only remember him catching screens (and then going the distance).

I would not be opposed, however, to get him and trade Grant for a pick, but that's not gonna happen.

I'm not as worried about him with the hands, that's what we have Brandon Jackson for. If we draft Matthews he'll probably be the No. 2 back, the one who share's carries with Grant rather than the third down block/receiving one.

ThinkICare

Cheesehead
Reaction score

From what I saw from his games, he was a speedy guy, but he's another all-around back to me. I'm sure Grant was almost as speedy as Matthews was in college. They just seem similar to me. If we need a change-of-pace guy, why not get one? Joe McKnight might be there in our slot at the 3rd round or Ben Tate. I think I'd take Matthews in the 3rd, but I don't think he'll fall to us. McKnight and Tate will probably be there for us in the 3rd.

Cardsmc25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McShay has Matthews going late first round. I was looking at Kipers and McShay's running back rankings (McShay has Matthews 3rd best RB and Kiper has him 5th best).

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say take a chance drafting Lagarrette BLount maybe in the 5th or so. He didn't play much last year after punching that guy in the face (suspended).......but if you watch him the year prior.....he was pretty darn good. No way would I waste a 1st or 2nd on Matthews. Improve the O line and our running game will improve.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts