Ryan Grant

packer4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it' s time to pull the plug on the Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson experiment. It's not working! I think our RB's are our biggest weakness on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe I'm crazy but I know that I'm sick and tired of seeing Ryan Grant. He lost his big play ability when he got his big check. At the rate this team is headed they should be in prime draft position to draft Shone Green from Iowa. He's a big physical back. If you add a physical back with Grant maybe he could possibly get some yardage. Cut Jackson!

vipercwf

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might agree with you on Grants performance...but in my opinion Jackson's looking real good..i wish hed get more opportunities.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont care about his contract.....now is the time to give Jackson more carrys.

Grant has looked slow never seems to break a tackle. TT made a big mistake with giving him that big of a contract.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
5 months ago people were saying PAY HIM

Now look it seems every forum is turning on him

sadfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah the contract with grant was BS. He had one good year and his very fumble prone self could have cost us big time. Most big plays down field comes from blocking by WR's...so maybe they're not doing their jobs well enough. Grants a down hill runner and all but he never was a Barry Sanders. People need to block for him or have a poor angle for him to really break free.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packer4ever said:
I think it' s time to pull the plug on the Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson experiment. It's not working! I think our RB's are our biggest weakness on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe I'm crazy but I know that I'm sick and tired of seeing Ryan Grant. He lost his big play ability when he got his big check. At the rate this team is headed they should be in prime draft position to draft Shone Green from Iowa. He's a big physical back. If you add a physical back with Grant maybe he could possibly get some yardage. Cut Jackson!

CUT JACKSON?? He came into this game averaging 5.5 a carry.

Problem is, he has not had an opportunity to play all that much. I have stated several times this season that the Packers should hand him the ball more often.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I never wanted him to be paid just like I didnt Rodgers paid..

So chalk up another reason to blame Ted

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
sadfan said:
Yeah the contract with grant was BS. He had one good year and his very fumble prone self could have cost us big time. Most big plays down field comes from blocking by WR's...so maybe they're not doing their jobs well enough. Grants a down hill runner and all but he never was a Barry Sanders. People need to block for him or have a poor angle for him to really break free.

I wouldn't label him fumble prone..

Green WAS fumble prone

ndjb04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant is now overrated and overpaid. Jackson doesn't get the credit he deserves or the carries he deserves either.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it me or is this the old backup quarterback syndrome only for running backs? The fact is Grant has rushed for over 1,000 yards with less than stellar O-line play. I certainly would have preferred a 1,500 yard season but it is not like he has been Cedric Benson or anything. Grant is ranked 9th is rushing yards in the entire NFL. Hell, folks get off of him a little.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watched Michael Turner today againest the Vikes...and I wanted to cry. We could have had him if Thompson had only seen his talent level and compared him to Grant. You CAN'T compare those two. Sure, he would have cost a lot of money, but do you think for one damned minute that Atlanta is sorry they paid it out? Nope...Thompson is too cheap and short-sighted to try to sign a top talent. And the Packers have only the same hope next year, that maybe Grant will start running by mid-season. A GM who is satisfied with average talent will field an average team, or less.

gman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are 100% correct. We need someone new out of colledge like UCLA or one of those good colledges.

gpac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you guys are seriously rediculous and have no clue what you arer talking about .....

Grant has over 1000 yards this year and will probably finish with 1250+ (a lot of incenetives if he does)

He is only the 2nd packer in 35years thats right 35years to have back to back seasons of over 900

The first time he got hit this year was in his first game, never hit once in preseaon or practice.

1000yds + and you guys are still not happy????

What holes have you seen this year???? there are none plain and simple.....

IMO ryan will finish up top 5 in nfc somewhere around 1250 is that not enough????

I here all this praise talk about b jack and all and I while I do agree he has talent he is no way a potential starter just simply is not....

Grant is a team orrinated player team first for him always in his mind hard nose good potentially great football player who is going to have a long and very productive carrear with the packers....

We dont need to draft a back????? we need a fing line..... we need some fresh dbs.....

this is my first post here but i do read everyday..... I just couldnt contain myself anymore..... Yes we had a bad season yes there were many games we should have won. But Replacing Ryan Grant your 2nd packer ever to have 900 plus yards back to back and one who will IMO hit 1250 is not your answer.......

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more GPac. The Fact that the offense has played well enough to win 10 games this season was overridden by the fact the D Lost 5 of those 10. Rushers tend to go the way of the O-line. Injuries affect continuity on both lines D and O this caused ripple effects in most other phases of the game. We as fans tend to be more critical of players when they lose.

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys don't seem to understand that the only reason Grant has so many yards is because we give them the ball so much. We are 20th in the league in Rushing yards yet you say he will be 5th in the NFC. Grant isn't bad, but he is not worth his check. Another reason why grant gets any yards is because Rodgers and our receivers are such a threat. While Jackson on the other hand has only delivered when he has touched the ball, split runs between the two and we might see a good rushing offense at some point.

Killazach

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gpac said:
The first time he got hit this year was in his first game, never hit once in preseaon or practice.
This also made me laugh considering he didn't play any preseason games and he was up against the packers rush defense :lol:

gpac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here we go I knew I shouldn't have even come in this thread...

Listen buddy I state facts not opions facts...

Grant is currently 7th not 6th im sorry but that's because he has yet to play this week since they play tonight... as long as he gets at least 56 yards tonight he will be back at 6

Look at it yourself::

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... 447263-p=1

BEFORE you speak please know what you are saying...... YOU sa idhe only has over 1000 yards cause he gets the ball soooooooooo much............... really??

THATS FUNNY cause out of the five people ahead of him Only DeAngelo Williams has less carries...and its only 20????

Just something to think about (Michael Turner) has 83 more touched then Grant....

When Jackson goes in the Defense are usually expecting pass cause its 3rd down...... When grant is running its 1st 2nd...... once again not to take anything away from B-jack and I'm not saying grant is an AP but he is a work horse and he is making his check every week...... DO YOU HONESTLY SEE ANY HOLES OUT THERE.....10 million out of his 30million is based on performance so unless he performs he wont get paid....

This may be a good article for you to read:

http://www.galesburg.com/sports/pro/x10 ... ost-season

Last but not least, not sure if you were being sarcastic about Grant not being hit until week one, but it is true.....

He did not get hit in practice per coaches orders, due to hamstring... The one pre-season game he played in (last one) 1st team was only going to get one series, problem they scored on a td pass first play...........MM never put grant in again.......SO my statement is correct his first time being hit was week 1....

gpac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
go on packers.com and listen to the interviews and read the coaches transcripts this is clearly stated.... He was not hit in practice and he only played the last pre-season game one play...

One more article you may want to read: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/36513984.html

If your lazy I copied and pasted the important parts. below

Motivation to run: Besides a victory Monday night, there is incentive for running back Ryan Grant to finish up strong.

The contract Grant signed in August contains some valuable incentive earnings, which Grant is approaching. If he has a solid finish to his year, he could wind up pocketing $1.5 million on top of his $4.25 million salary.

The Packers wanted Grant's contract to be incentive-based and he agreed, so a good deal of the money must be earned through performance.

By topping the 1,000-yard mark, Grant earned a $500,000 escalator that will be tacked on to his 2009 earnings. That figure will jump to $1.5 million if he reaches 1,250 yards, which would require him to gain 214 yards in the final two games.

Entering Saturday, Grant ranks sixth in the NFC in rushing yards with 1,036. If he remains in the top 10, he will receive a $150,000 bonus. If he finishes in the top five, that number jumps to $500,000.

Grant's four-year deal is worth $20 million, but it also includes an additional $10 million in incentives, escalators and performance bonuses.

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just can't get over how silly some of you are being. This team stinks this year even though Grant and Rodgers have had a decent season. Ryan Grant is not our problem. We have a 1,000+ yard back with poor o-line play and a bunch of you *****ing about it; ***** at the o-line, they haven't exactly been great at pass protection either.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
c_mac said:
I just can't get over how silly some of you are being. This team stinks this year even though Grant and Rodgers have had a decent season. Ryan Grant is not our problem. We have a 1,000+ yard back with poor o-line play and a bunch of you ****** about it; ***** at the o-line, they haven't exactly been great at pass protection either.
:clap:

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I do think we need another Running back, I'd like it to be a guy who could complement what we have, but we could do a lot better if our O-line play improved even just a bit. A few more seconds on a handful of plays and we could be in the hunt for the playoffs.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First post here, I think Grant and Jackson are capable backs. Grant has performed adequetly considering he never runs with a blocker in front of him...where is this teams William Henderson?? I wish they would line up both backs, and have Jackson blow a hole open for Grant, then switch it up and let Grant open a hole for Jackson. I think this would help both backs to see the field better. It really irritates me to see them hand off a ball tto a guy who doesn't have a blocker in front of him, then expect him to plow through 3000 lbs. of meat by himself 3 times in a row.

Reaction score
Hey Grant is Good he gets them 10 20 yard runs in 2008 but last year he was breaking those for 80 yard touchdowns. This year he would get a nice 10 yard run then a couple 3 or 4 yard runs in a row. What id like to see is a split back running game between him and Brandon Jackson . Brandon Jackson Is way better from is rookie year You can see that from his avg yards per run from last year to this year. And plus its not all grant and jackson . We have a pass defensnse o line not a running o line like the vikings do. So i think we get a Dfensive end for the montgomery thompson draft then we get some o line and defense throughout the draft fire The defensive cordinatior. Get a blitzing scheme to get pressure on the qb then we should have a nice record next year. Also Dont hate on Brandon Jackson Hes a good Blocking And passing back and only getting better at running When Ryan Grant was Dominating In the Bears Or dif game. and got hurt for a quater and then Brandon Jackson came in and copyied that . Hes a rising talent

Members online

Latest posts