Ryan Grant

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If GB continues to refuse to give him anything other that the absolute minimum now, what makes you think that Grant would be willing to talk contract halfway through the season if he continues to perform at a high level.

Yes, we all know that GB has all the leverage and can continue to offer him the "exclusive rights" contract. But it sounds to me like a pretty raw deal for someone who had a major impact on getting Green Bay to the NFC Championship game. I am surprised that nothing, not even a 1 year contract, has been offered.

Just because Green Bay can be buttholes about his contract, doesn't mean that they should.

^^ I agree with this assessment of the situation.

These contract disputes have become far more complicated. So many different factors should be considered and not just a "cookie cutter" policy across the board.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
NodakPaul said:
If GB continues to refuse to give him anything other that the absolute minimum now, what makes you think that Grant would be willing to talk contract halfway through the season if he continues to perform at a high level.

Because we hold his exclusive rights for the following year as well?

You think Grant is going to refuse to negotiate so he can play for a small salary for the next two years, or refuse to play, or what?

Just because Green Bay can be buttholes about his contract, doesn't mean that they should.

Explain some way that there is any actual downside to making him show the goods for more than eight games, given we hold his rights for two more full seasons. He wasn't drafted, he has only one season in the league, he has zero leverage.

You talk like Green Bay has decided to lowball him for as long as they can. That isn't obvious at all, it is extremely early in the game. Two more seasons, not one.

THere is no downside... to Green Bay. The down side to Grant is huge. What if he gets injured in the next year? Why should he waste his time with a team who won't pay him to his potential just because of a claus in the CBA that says they don't have to.

Green Bay has decided to lowball him. With the exclusive rights tender, they get to pay him the absolute minimum for a rookie contract, despite everything that he has done for Green Bay last year. If I were Grant, I would be counting the days until I got to go somewhere that doesn't tyr to **** me...

how has Green Bay lowballed Ryan Grant?

he was rotting on NY Giants bench and we signed him to a contract that valued him as exactly what he was. A backup. Now because he had 8 games that were well above average, we should sign him to a 6 year 80 million dollar contract??

No he signed the contract, he played well. thats all there is to this story.
IF he continues to perform, i have zero doubts that he will be paid accordingly.

you act as if we signed Grant after his performance in Green Bay. I dont even understand this argument really. He was nobody before we signed him, now we are lowballing him after 8 games. If we had signed him for about 3 years 4 mil per.... do you think he was gonna give some of the money back if he didnt perform up to his contract .... NO

here in Green Bay our management is smart. we dont waste money... we dont sign stupid contracts because ESPN said a guy was good... and we win ball games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If A-Rodgers tosses say.....17 Td, 0 Ints and about 2000 yards in the 1st 8 games, I want people to DEMAND the Packers re-do his deal

** edit***

I am willing to DEMAND a new contract if he goes 13 or so TDs, 3 or 4 INTs and about 1800 yards...

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I really think TT has earned enough respect to let him deal with this thing the way he wants to do it. Like Bozz says where is there turmoil here?
How many guys does TT need to extend with perfectly appropriate contracts for a player or a fan to see he's going to get them what they deserve?

He has shown the world he builds from within and pays the players the team wants to hold onto for several years. It's like his slogan or whatever. He is capable of doing this because of how he runs the team and how he controls the money.

Just because TT isn't dealing with Grant right at this second doesn't mean it's unfair on the Packers part or even not the right thing to do. It's business. You always bargain from a position of power and TT is not going to be stupid enough to jump the gun on this thing when there is nothing out there that says he has to.

Just ask Kampman and Harris and Driver and the other guys TT's dealt with. Hell there didn't have to be no war for things to work out. I doubt there will be here either. Highly doubt it. I believe Mr. Grant will be a Packer for a very long time.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THere is no downside... to Green Bay. The down side to Grant is huge. What if he gets injured in the next year? Why should he waste his time with a team who won't pay him to his potential just because of a claus in the CBA that says they don't have to.

Green Bay has decided to lowball him. With the exclusive rights tender, they get to pay him the absolute minimum for a rookie contract, despite everything that he has done for Green Bay last year. If I were Grant, I would be counting the days until I got to go somewhere that doesn't tyr to **** me...

I don't think Ryan Grant is thinking like you but for fun let's just assume he is.

He'll have to wait at least two year before getting his chance to go somewhere else. That's along time for nothing to happen and that's along time for Grant to sit out which we all know he won't because he'll end up losing more money than really gaining.

I say all the power to Grant if he wants to leave. If Grant does become the real deal, Green Bay can slap the franchise tag on him and trade him for a 2nd round pick like they did with Corey Williams this past year. I have no doubt that at age 27 or 28 he'll have value especially if he's lived up to the hype and I actually think he will.

GB gave a 6th rounder to get him and in the end they could end up with a lot higher pick for him if it plays out like that. If that ends up happening two years down the road it wouldn't bother me one bit. RB's are a dime of a dozen. Ryan Grant is an example of that.

Though chances are Ryan Grant will agree to a long term deal. If he doesn't, Green Bay will use him to get something for him. That's how the NFL works and that's how a good team manages the situation whether it's right or wrong.

Reaction score
But the Packers have Grant over a barrel on this one. They have offered him exclusive rights tender

Well it wasn't as if the Packers could offer Grant anything other than an exclusive rights tender that would pay him the minimum...

What were the Packers to do? Franchise Grant? Wouldn't work since the Packers used the franchise tag on Corey Williams, and it'd be a stupid business move to franchise a player that has only performed for half a season.

Apply Grant with the Transition tag? That'd be pretty stupid, seeing as the Packers invested a sixth round pick in Grant and even allowing for the possibility of letting him to get away (after only one year at that) without anything in return would've been a dumb move.

I'm pretty sure that since Grant was an exclusive rights free agent, the Packers could only offer one type of exclusive rights tender, and that is the one they offered.

Once again NodakPaul, you are basing your opinion on a story which you don't really have a ton of insight to. I'm sure if Grant felt he was being low-balled, he'd have spoken out. Grant has said nothing, he hasn't even given a hint of being dissatisfied with how this process has played out.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Grant will NOT miss any game time due to his contract.
I agree Zero.
I think this whole "story" is just alot of nothing. Grant hasn't said he wants out, and I bet his agent is trying to get a deal for him. Thats the agent's job, to get the best for his client (thus the best cut for himself).
It's the off season, and they have to find SOMETHING to talk about. It will all be worked out in the end.

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same thing that is happening with Grant is happening with Earnest Graham in Tampa Bay. Both the Packers and Bucs have plenty of cap room to do a long term deal with both backs. But both teams want to make sure it is a FAIR deal, based on ONE year of excellent production. I think deals wll be done in both cases, but the Packer also need to use some of their cap room for other players like Greg Jennings in terms of contract extensions. I also think the Packers are pretty happy with their depth at RB. Jackson really came on late in the year, and I expect Morency, Wynn and Herron to battle it out for the 3rd RB job.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same thing that is happening with Grant is happening with Earnest Graham in Tampa Bay. Both the Packers and Bucs have plenty of cap room to do a long term deal with both backs. But both teams want to make sure it is a FAIR deal, based on ONE year of excellent production. I think deals wll be done in both cases, but the Packer also need to use some of their cap room for other players like Greg Jennings in terms of contract extensions. I also think the Packers are pretty happy with their depth at RB. Jackson really came on late in the year, and I expect Morency, Wynn and Herron to battle it out for the 3rd RB job.
Yup!
You want to make sure you don't over pay for a RB. (Or any position for that matter) It's early, and I believe that the Packer front office will address this situation. Who knows, maybe something is in the works right now. Just because we don't hear it doesn't mean nothing is getting done.

Pack_Attack_Is_Back

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
NodakPaul said:

Yes, we all know that GB has all the leverage and can continue to offer him the "exclusive rights" contract. But it sounds to me like a pretty raw deal for someone who had a major impact on getting Green Bay to the NFC Championship game. I am surprised that nothing, not even a 1 year contract, has been offered.

That's how the ball rolls in Green Bay.

Perform, get rewarded.

Complain, leave.

No offense but running backs are precious in this league and barely run past 30 years old, so when you have a guy like Grant that hasn't played a whole season you can't just go and sign him to a deal.

Exactly how I feel. He played well, but he only played half a season. He has to show the office he can keep it up through to mid season and I agree they upper office will gladly offer him more money.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still befuddles me how some can look at the job TT has done and question his tactics.

The same people who screamed bloody murder over his dealings with Walker, Wahle and Rivera, are now making noise in their ever-so-predictable manner.

Let's review those transactions:

Walker - A proven head-case who does not play well with others. Alienates himself from teammates, coaches and management with selfish nature. A true reflection of his 9 Wonderlic score....he just does not process his situation(s) well and makes too many ripples in the pond. Score one for Ted!

Rivera - A fan favorite, and onetime great player. Got paid a fortune by Dallas to sit with back and knee issues. A player who was CLEARLY in decline, and yet got paid like a healthy player entering his prime. Good for Marco (Thanks, Jerry!) and good for the Pack. Score another for Ted!

Wahle - A player in the backside of his prime who, for several seasons, indicated not so secretly that he did not want to be in GB..."I don't feel appreciated by the organization"...waaaaahhhh....while being paid quite handsomely. Went to Carolina, got paid a fortune, and began to show noticeable decline his first year there. Three for three for Teddy T!!

Grant appeares to be the real deal, and the Packers have a long history of taking care of their own...and very well, I might add! Show us a little more this year, Ryan, and you too shall be rewarded. In the meantime, quit your whining and posturing, do the work, show the team you are no flash in the pan, and reap the rewards.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It still befuddles me how some can look at the job TT has done and question his tactics.

The same people who screamed bloody murder over his dealings with Walker, Wahle and Rivera, are now making noise in their ever-so-predictable manner.

Let's review those transactions:

Walker - A proven head-case who does not play well with others. Alienates himself from teammates, coaches and management with selfish nature. A true reflection of his 9 Wonderlic score....he just does not process his situation(s) well and makes too many ripples in the pond. Score one for Ted!

Rivera - A fan favorite, and onetime great player. Got paid a fortune by Dallas to sit with back and knee issues. A player who was CLEARLY in decline, and yet got paid like a healthy player entering his prime. Good for Marco (Thanks, Jerry!) and good for the Pack. Score another for Ted!

Wahle - A player in the backside of his prime who, for several seasons, indicated not so secretly that he did not want to be in GB..."I don't feel appreciated by the organization"...waaaaahhhh....while being paid quite handsomely. Went to Carolina, got paid a fortune, and began to show noticeable decline his first year there. Three for three for Teddy T!!

Grant appeares to be the real deal, and the Packers have a long history of taking care of their own...and very well, I might add! Show us a little more this year, Ryan, and you too shall be rewarded. In the meantime, quit your whining and posturing, do the work, show the team you are no flash in the pan, and reap the rewards.

I was right there with you, up to the last sentence. I agree that people are making a big deal out of absolutely nothing, but Grant hasn't been whining. Not at all. There was one blurb, about two months ago, I think, on PFT, about Grant, that he had no contract, and that one wouldn't be signed in the near future. There was no whining. Grant hasn't made any noise, the Packer's FO hasn't made any noise. There is no indication that there is anything amiss in Packerland as it regards Ryan Grant. You know the saying, "where there's smoke, there's fire"; show me some smoke. I haven't seen any, indicating that there is no fire. I think we're all just a little nervous, because we know Grant has potential and we want him to stick with the team. When it comes to situations like this, fan reaction is typically "no news = bad news". Everybody just needs to relax, and let TT take care of business.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
haha why is this thread still going?

I have to be right. And everybody has to know I'm right.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

"Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like this compulsive need to be liked, like my need to be praised."

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully this situation will be resolved with no disputes on either side. You just never know with RBs. They are replaceable, but some are special enough to be entitled to a payday. Grant should receive some benefit for carrying our team's running game into the NFC Championship. However, 1 good year doesn't warrant anything huge, and if given, definitely would hurt the Packers if he gets injured in the near future.

I know this situation will not be anything like the McKenzie/Walker deals.

There should be a good deal for both sides done sometime soon(more-so the Packers side because they have a lot of leverage).

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:

"Do I need to be liked? Absolutely not. I like to be liked. I enjoy being liked. I have to be liked. But it's not like this compulsive need to be liked, like my need to be praised."

One of these days, I'll get around to watching that show. A lot of people at work swear by it.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Packnic said:

One of these days, I'll get around to watching that show. A lot of people at work swear by it.

Watch past episodes for free:

www.hulu.com

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant's agent is meeting with the Packers this week. He will hopefully get a raise and be working on the field before the end of OTAs (instead of just sitting on the sidelines watching), or at worst, be here ready to go for the start of training camp.

I doubt he'll get a blockbuster deal like Barber got, but I could definitely see an incentive laden deal with escaltors if he meets certain benchmarks over the course of the year with a modest (albeit not exorbitant) bump in base salary.

You know how TT and his negociating staff love to do those incentive laden deals!

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Different situation for sure.. but his agent lacks any type of leverage, so if they sign a contract it will favor the Packers at this point. I like Grants approach, showing up and working in the weight room and staying with the team.. again, it is a product of the Players Union selling out the younger players for a select few younger players.

Those that come in and earn the money have little leverage.. while those drafted high, are more so than not underplaying their contract. Out of this whole CBA mess.. I hope this is one thing that gets dealt with.. staight pegged contracts for rookies comming in.. then after a couple of years, let them get paid what they have earned.

Ryan Grant's agent expects to know within a day or two whether the Green Bay Packers are willing to give their starting running back the multiyear deal he wants.

Unless and until he gets it, Grant doesn't plan to participate in football drills.

Grant, who took over as a starter midway through last season and ran for 956 yards, has participated in the Packers' offseason program despite refusing to sign the minimum $370,000 tender the team gave him as an exclusive-rights player with one accrued NFL season. However, he is sitting out the team's organized team activities practices, which began this week, because of the injury risk.

Grant's agent, Alan Herman, on Wednesday said he plans to have a lengthy conversation today with the Packers' chief negotiator, Russ Ball, and would know "real soon" if a deal can get done.

"The process has started," Herman said. "Are we getting anywhere? Probably a better question at the end of the week."

Though he technically is a second-year player who won't be eligible for unrestricted free agency until at least 2011, Grant is four years removed from college. He spent two seasons with the New York Giants — one on the practice squad and one on the non-football injury list — before the Packers traded for him in September, and is 25 years old at a position where many players decline by 30.

So, Grant hopes to be rewarded immediately for the life he breathed into a stagnant running game last season.

"I just felt like it was in my best (interest) to handle it this way," Grant said, "and I think both sides feel like I'm going about it the correct way."

Given Grant's lack of leverage, precedent for a deal is difficult to find.

Tuesday, the Dallas Cowboys signed Marion Barber to a seven-year, $45 million contract that included $16 million in guarantees. Barber rushed for roughly the same number of yards (975) as Grant at only a slightly lower average (4.8 yards per carry, to Grant's 5.1), but he was a restricted free agent with three accrued seasons.

Unrestricted free agent Julius Jones, who started in front of Barber the past three seasons, agreed to a four-year, $12 million contract with Seattle that included $5.5 million in the first year. Jones ran for only 588 yards last season at a 3.6-yard average.

Herman declined to discuss the numbers he expects to be exchanged today, but said, "I think the Packers are open to negotiating a fair deal for Ryan. I'm optimistic that will occur."

He added: "It's probably the most unique situation I've dealt with in the 25 years I've been negotiating contracts in the league. As long as both sides aren't rigid — in the true spirit of compromise, this has to be a situation where there's compromise."

Coach Mike McCarthy, among others, has praised Grant for attending the voluntary workouts the past two months in spite of the contractual issue.

"He's a true pro," running backs coach Edgar Bennett said. "His approach in the film room, the study room, meeting room … has been phenomenal. The leadership, even out on the field — obviously, he's limited with certain things that he can do — but in the weight room, it's all-bore."

"I'm not unhappy," Grant said. "There's no unhappiness, there's no hard feelings or anything like that. Not at all. It's the business aspect."

Grant said he expects a deal to be done before training camp opens July 28. He wouldn't speculate on what would happen if a deal isn't struck, but accepting the Packers' initial offer doesn't seem to be a possibility.

"There's not a chance we're signing that tender," Herman said.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
Packnic said:

you wont regret it.

PackFanWithTwins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets look at some salaries on the team for 2008.

Jennings - 445,000
Jones - 370,000
Collins - 520,000
Hall - 370,000

The offer to Grant is not out of line for his time served.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets look at some salaries on the team for 2008.

Jennings - 445,000
Jones - 370,000
Collins - 520,000
Hall - 370,000

The offer to Grant is not out of line for his time served.

Let's not forget Atari Bigby's making something like $475,000 and he'll make the Pro Bowl in '08 (my prediction for '08).

Negotiating with Grant before the season starts is a bad idea. He hasn't even played a whole year yet. This sends a bad message to the rest of the team.

EarthQuake

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really dont see any problem with this. He's not holding out or doing anything horrible like that. He's showing up for all of the team activities that they will let him do. He seems like a really smart guy(for nfl standards atleast) and is going about this the best way possible. Its understandable that he wants a better deal than the min. he was 2nd in rushing in the entire nfl for hte last half of the season, while a half of a season isnt much, i think that atleast deserves consideration for a slightly better than min contract. We all know that the average lifespan for running backs can be very short, so from his end it makes a lot of sense to try and negotiate for a better deal, they give him and offer and he countered, its not like he was already under contract and is now holding out or making threats or anything even remotely negative in my mind.

Now having said all of that i think he may be hurting his longterm value by trying to get a better contract right now, i feel like if he plays another great season they will give him a very nice contract, and while i feel they will probabbly offer him something more than the min this seasons, it seems like he could potentially get less over the long term going this route. But all things considered this is a guy who spend all of 2006 on IR and didnt even play a down, he knows full well the advantages of getting paid while you're in good standings with a team and healthy.

Members online

Latest posts