Ryan Grant

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is Ryan Grant?

Last season, everyone wanted to learn more about this Tony Romo guy who was playing quarterback for the Cowboys, and now he's got Dallas sitting atop the NFC East. Well, maybe we should examine a key player who looks to be a factor for the other 8-1 team in the NFC -- Green Bay running back Ryan Grant.

Grant rushed for 80 yards in the first quarter against Minnesota and finished with 119 yards against the NFL's second-ranked rushing defense. For all the troubles the Packers have had with the run game, Grant has emerged as the answer. And while he seems to have come out of nowhere, his pedigree isn't bad at all.

Grant was USA Today's New Jersey high school player of the year, a sprinter on the track team and a very good basketball player. He went to Notre Dame, where he played as a true freshman in 2001 and then started 13 games in 2002, rushing for more than 1,000 yards. In 2003, he ended up splitting time with Julius Jones. Injuries shortened his 2004 season, though he still was a part-time starter. At the 2005 combine, Grant checked in at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds and ran a 4.52 40. He was not drafted, but he signed a free-agent deal with the Giants -- for whom he spent 2005 on the practice squad and 2006 on injured reserve.

Give a lot of credit to Ted Thompson and John Dorsey in Green Bay's front office. Obviously, they remembered Grant from what he did at Notre Dame. The Packers initially offered kicker Dave Rayner to the Giants in a trade, but ended up giving New York a late draft pick for Grant. It's shaping up to be a big steal.

link to NFL.com story

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it just seems fitting that this guy just came from nowhere....like our team, no one wouldve predicted this start....

go pack go

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT was just lucky. (Again).

Kidding aside kudos to the Player Personnel Dept. for digging this guy up and seeing he could work with what we do. It's fairly easy to recognize these guys know what they are doing and what they are looking for.

No pig in a poke operation up in that office. That's for sure.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO, "Who IS Ryan Grant?"

I like that. Who the hell is this guy?! It's funny to me.

I think a lot of people had high hopes for him just based on the fact that TT traded a DRAFT PICK for him(even a 6th). I know I had some expectations that were NOT met early on, but he looks good now. Niiiiiccccce

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully he doesnt turn out to be a Gado type guy. I know it gets old saying that, but im not sold on him yet. He needs to have more than two 100 yard games for me to believe that he is "the answer" to our running problems.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing with Gado was, Gado was here, then a new blocking scheme showed up, and he didn't fit.

The scheme has been here, they brought in a guy they thought fit the scheme, so that shouldn't be a problem.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully he doesnt turn out to be a Gado type guy. I know it gets old saying that, but im not sold on him yet. He needs to have more than two 100 yard games for me to believe that he is "the answer" to our running problems.

I agree he needs to show more, HOWEVER

No one else has had 2-100 yard rushing games this season either

brennan1884

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if ryan grant can just be consitant....he will be our starting running back for the near future. I thought Bill Parsells said it best on Primetime....the running back positon is the most dispensible position in the game.....its all about the offensive line and how they block, grant has all the tools and could be a very productive back in this league

Members online

Latest posts