Russel Okung

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Russel Okung - OT - Oklahoma

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXDU0dL3BhU&feature=related]YouTube - Russell Okung Highlights[/ame]

Russell Okung Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths: Very good height with long arms
Thick, strong lower body
Extremely high level of athleticism
Patient pass protector; does not overextend
Great lateral agility
Quick kick step
Consistent footwork
Nice ankle/knee flexion
Surprisingly physical run blocker
Light on his feet
Highly experienced since true freshman year
Very durable - 34 straight starts
Understands angles
Recognizes stunts and blitz assignments
Gets to second level
Leader
Tremendous upside
Week 1 starting left tackle
Franchise player
Potential No. 1 overall pick http://www.smokeybear.com/
Weaknesses: Occasionally gets too high in his stance
Needs to gain a little more upper body strength
Sometimes loses focus (bored with competition?)
Can be inconsistent with leverage
Room to improve hand punch
Must redirect at a higher level in NFL

Summary: I noticed Okung last summer when watching tape on Brandon Pettigrew and I pegged him as a potential star in 2008. He has all the makings of a Pro Bowl-caliber left tackle and has the upside to potentially warrant a No. 1 overall pick. If he can hone his technique slightly over the summer, I would be shocked to see him fall out of the first five picks next year barring injury. Okung has practically everything you look for in an offensive tackle. Last name pronounced OH-KOONG.

Player Comparison: Joe Thomas. Thomas and Okung have very similar frames with very good intangibles and the upside to dominate at the next level. Both had polished pass protection skills in college.

Cbssports.com scouting report:
Pass blocking: Prototypical athleticism, height and long arms for left tackle. Excellent first step on kick slide; sets up for pass pro quickly and with a wide base. Good angle on slide to prevent wide rushes. Gets his feet up and down well, consistently mirroring his man on outside or inside rush moves. Smaller ends have little chance of staying upright against him, and few defenders of any size get off his block once latched on. Willing to attack ends lined up wide instead of catching them. Strength is an issue, has only an adequate punch and inconsistent anchor against larger ends. Gets pushed back when pads are too high, yet he recovers nicely to prevent the sack. Will extend his arms to throw his man off balance if he senses any let-up. Gets down to cut quickly, will roll to keep his man out of the play. Good awareness finding late blitzers and adjusting to twists.

Run blocking: Will lean forward when trying to aggressively run block, and loses his balance against quicker ends. Drive blocking is not his strength, as he tends to get his pads too high too quickly. Keeps legs churning after initial contact, however, to take his man out of the play or put him on the ground. Once engaged, will not let go - sometimes through the whistle. Can turn his man inside or outside using angles and foot work, not brute strength. Effective hitting linebackers at the second level, but fails to sustain when punching instead of latching on.

Pulling/trapping: Looks agile for his size when asked to move, which is quite often for a left tackle, but inconsistent hitting defenders in space. Seals the edge with good footwork, even if he needs to get outside the tackle box first. Has the flexibility to adjust to inside blitzers or keep out linebackers attacking a gap.

Initial Quickness: Good quickness in his kick slide in pass protection; doesn't get beat on the edge. Fires off the ball in goal-line situations and when he needs to help the tight end, then moves to second level on run plays.

Downfield: Athletic enough and uses his long arms to reach linebackers. Gets the inside defender to prevent penetration on outside runs. Could hustle to get a second defender more often. Doesn't always hit his targets square, which allows them to make plays or draw holding penalties. Needs to learn to move in balance.

Intangibles: Ready to compete on every snap, and owns the responsibility of protecting the quarterback. Excellent durability. No character concerns -- coaches like his attitude on the field and in the locker room.

NFL Comparison: D'Brickashaw Ferguson, New York Jets

Pipe dream, won't fall to us. But if we were to somehow move up to get him...

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Russel Okung - OT - Oklahoma
Pipe dream, won't fall to us. But if we were to somehow move up to get him...
So what, let's get in the same situations as last year, and maybe win one of the shootouts against better QBs, which won't be enough for a CCG, let alone the big dance. To move up into the top 5, I guess, we'd have to give up probably 1st, 2nd, 4th and at least 2nd in 2011, just don't even think about it.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Lol. I was just giving you crap. :lol:

I made one on Joe Haden and Tim Tebow for god's sakes. Two guys that I can guarentee will not be Packers.

Please keep making these. They're incredibly informative. At the very least I can look at the ones for early guys to get an idea of who Detroit might draft.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol. I was just giving you crap. :lol:

I made one on Joe Haden and Tim Tebow for god's sakes. Two guys that I can guarentee will not be Packers.

Please keep making these. They're incredibly informative. At the very least I can look at the ones for early guys to get an idea of who Detroit might draft.
;) just joking.

The point is, it's not about who you'd draft. It's about what can happen.

TT has shown he's predictable in FA. But at the draft? He has trade every draft. He has moved up to grab CM3, a guy most fans thought was a mistake a the time.

And about the D or the OL, it's an area we need to improve, the OL. One can also argue that if Rodgers isn't harassed in the final play, we win the game... I'd be all for fixing his blind side for the next 10 years with Okung.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
This year's 1, this year's 2, and next year's 3 to move up to Okung territory.

I'd do it. That's just me, though.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
;) just joking.

The point is, it's not about who you'd draft. It's about what can happen.

TT has shown he's predictable in FA. But at the draft? He has trade every draft. He has moved up to grab CM3, a guy most fans thought was a mistake a the time.

And about the D or the OL, it's an area we need to improve, the OL. One can also argue that if Rodgers isn't harassed in the final play, we win the game... I'd be all for fixing his blind side for the next 10 years with Okung.
okay, let's say i'll give you that, and then you play the saints, and then the vikings, and then the colts. With Okung you maybe score 35-40 on each of 'em, but without any real seondary help, a sixtyburger is ours in every of those games.
I just think in the second half of the season the OLine wasn't much of concern. Of course we have to get some solutions along the line, but imo it's just not worth all those picks, especially considering all the other needs we got.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
okay, let's say i'll give you that, and then you play the saints, and then the vikings, and then the colts. With Okung you maybe score 35-40 on each of 'em, but without any real seondary help, a sixtyburger is ours in every of those games.
I just think in the second half of the season the OLine wasn't much of concern. Of course we have to get some solutions along the line, but imo it's just not worth all those picks, especially considering all the other needs we got.
So you're saying that, if the Packers get Okung, they won't bring anyone else, is that it?

Plus, are you completely disregarding the fact that Kampman, Harris, Lee and Blackmon got injuried? That we were in our first year in the 3-4? (I'm not saying that we don't need upgrade on D, I've been advocating for getting players, my dream draft consist of Brandon Graham, Chad Jones and Perish Cox.)

I really don't understand your reasoning. "Worth all those picks" WHAT PICKS?????? Please tell me the terms of the trade, because I don't know which are. Who's not to say that it doesn't involve Hawk + Donald Lee + Aaron Kampman + our 2nd for a chance to get Okung. IMHO that would be very much acceptable, if not favorable. Last year the Jets moved up for pratically a bargain to the 5th. If Okung is still available at, say, the 9th, I could envision it. There're still months to the drat, stocks will still rise and fall...

Are you aware that I've been doing this series getting information of players that MAY OR MAY NOT interest the Packers, right? It's only natural that I cover everybody that could be available. This was the last 1st round graded OL left to do, so I did him...

P.S.: You weren't one saying that we spent too much to move up to get CM3, were you???

P.S.2: Try changing your approach, you sound beligerant.

-

About my opinion on the subject, I think Okung is such a talent rarity, that I' be all for it. I don't see another player of that caliber in this draft. The only other one is Suh, and THAT is a pipe dream.

-

And I also completely credit the D on the playoff loss. But it was an atypical day, we have to realize. And IMHO it had loads more to do with gameplanning (or lack of) than with sheer talent. Bump their receivers and we would see a completely different result.

AlDay31

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you're saying that, if the Packers get Okung, they won't bring anyone else, is that it?

Plus, are you completely disregarding the fact that Kampman, Harris, Lee and Blackmon got injuried? That we were in our first year in the 3-4? (I'm not saying that we don't need upgrade on D, I've been advocating for getting players, my dream draft consist of Brandon Graham, Chad Jones and Perish Cox.)

I really don't understand your reasoning. "Worth all those picks" WHAT PICKS?????? Please tell me the terms of the trade, because I don't know which are. Who's not to say that it doesn't involve Hawk + Donald Lee + Aaron Kampman + our 2nd for a chance to get Okung. IMHO that would be very much acceptable, if not favorable. Last year the Jets moved up for pratically a bargain to the 5th. If Okung is still available at, say, the 9th, I could envision it. There're still months to the drat, stocks will still rise and fall...

Are you aware that I've been doing this series getting information of players that MAY OR MAY NOT interest the Packers, right? It's only natural that I cover everybody that could be available. This was the last 1st round graded OL left to do, so I did him...
I wrote up there that we'll propably have to use our 1st+2nd+4th+2nd 2011 of next year to get in Okung terretory. (To those picks I related.)
To begin with, I think of next season, and what I see is an aging and injured Al Harris and two young corners who didn't achieve anything, and are injured all the time. I also see a Kampman who maybe isn't a Packer 3 month from now. So I think we have a need in our seondary. And against better QBs we could very well end up like in the ARZ-Game (or the Steelers game or the Vikings-games), without bringin' secondary talent as well as a rocksolid OLB. I'm a fand of gettin' some 2nd rounders, and collecting talent there.
The Jets gave up 1st+2nd+3 Players, so we have to trade at least the 1st+3rd and the three you mentioned. And I think in the 3rd round are talents we could use very well(Misi, McCluster, Arenas), and picks in this area should be very useful.
And okay if you do your draft, and I'm sorry if I sound beligerant or something, but a) I'm learnin' english by havin' it 3 hours a week in school and b) I just tried to make the point, that it is not too wise to try to get Okung.
Anyway, I really like your work, but I just tried to state, that I disagree with that one. right?:drinks:

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wrote up there that we'll propably have to use our 1st+2nd+4th+2nd 2011 of next year to get in Okung terretory. (To those picks I related.)
To begin with, I think of next season, and what I see is an aging and injured Al Harris and two young corners who didn't achieve anything, and are injured all the time. I also see a Kampman who maybe isn't a Packer 3 month from now. So I think we have a need in our seondary. And against better QBs we could very well end up like in the ARZ-Game (or the Steelers game or the Vikings-games), without bringin' secondary talent as well as a rocksolid OLB. I'm a fand of gettin' some 2nd rounders, and collecting talent there.
The Jets gave up 1st+2nd+3 Players, so we have to trade at least the 1st+3rd and the three you mentioned. And I think in the 3rd round are talents we could use very well(Misi, McCluster, Arenas), and picks in this area should be very useful.
And okay if you do your draft, and I'm sorry if I sound beligerant or something, but a) I'm learnin' english by havin' it 3 hours a week in school and b) I just tried to make the point, that it is not too wise to try to get Okung.
Anyway, I really like your work, but I just tried to state, that I disagree with that one. right?:drinks:
I understand your point. I'm actually really torn. I've advocated for staying, for moving up, moving down...

My point is, you just don't know how things will pan out, specially with TT.

With the values you mentioned, future draft picks and such, no doubt it's a bad deal. But everything is said about draft or FA moves are completely hypotetycal, we don't know how other teams value the picks. I'm pretty sure Jacksonville would love to trade out of the top 10 pick, based on money.

I have no problem with people disagreeing. I just thought your tone to be a little bit offensive. I understand why, now.

But we NEED to get a young OL this year. It's a must. Be it through draft or FA. Because the OL is the main position where chemistry is vital, and this year Clifton will be out. Next year will be Tauscher's turn. Wells might go after that. So we need to develop talent ASAP in there. We only have Sitton and Lang as young OLs (MAYBE Spitz can be a LG. MAYBE).

-

So, about the draft, IMHO trading those picks I mentioned for Okung and getting in the later rounds Angerer, Myron Rolle, and a KR would be awesome. But trading out of the 1st, and getting Jerry Huges, Perish Cox and Chad Jones, while still getting those at later rounds would also be fantastic.

I think we have loads of options in this particular draft... Great players at almost every round. But the OL talent ends in the 2nd round IMHO. The CB talent may go to the 3rd. The S talent goes deeper with Rolle and some others. OLB till the 3rd. We can get an ILB till the 5th. KR runs plenty.

What lacks in this draft, and I don't think we'll be getting, is DL help. But at that area, we didn't really see Raji's impact...

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think trading future draft picks is a possibility anymore. With the CBA expiring, no 2011 season means no 2011 draft.

Members online

Latest posts