Rushing game last few weeks

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Starting with the Arizona game, Green is averaging almost 4.5 per carry and that is with a low of 3.0 vs the Giants... 4 games--46 carries 210 yards

November was 129 yards per game 4.1 per carry...For the team

Dec is 146 per game, 4.8 per carry for the team

So in reality the running game "SEEMS" to be working??????????????

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think our UDFA RT Barclay has a little to do with this. The guy is pretty impressive so far in run blocking, he will carry his block 10 yards down the field and then find someone else to hit, I like it. Very aggressive. The other thing, is that it seems that Alex Green is making better choices. It seems that his vision is improving. Just in time too. Without a run game, I don't think we win last night. This really helps win games in Dec/Jan.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Stats wise, I guess it is working. I just want to see green rip off a big time run ( 40+ yds ) and not get tackled by a shoelace. He seems to go down easy.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That Harris TD run was beautiful, especially when NBC did the slow-mo replay to show the LG pull into the hole. Everyone put a hat on a hat, and there were OL blocking at the second level. That's where it really counts. Guys need to sustain blocks at the point but then also reach the second level to ensure that these aren't just 1-3 yard gains but going for 5-7 yards.

Somewhere, Hannibal Smith is saying "I love it when a plan comes together"

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been up and down on Green and now am back "up" on him. Perhaps its his continued recovery from injury or greater familiarity with the O, but he's running with more determination than he was earlier in the season. And who didn't sit up and take notice with DuJuan Harris' first carry? Apparently he's been beating up the first team D in practice (on the rare occassions they put pads on). Rodgers said Harris has a chance to be special. High praise from a very credible source.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green isnt to far removed from his knee injury...

Every time someone mentions AP they mention it is amazing he is doing it so soon after his injury..

So I think Green is finally getting the ability to cut better, plus getting used to the line and plays

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And who didn't sit up and take notice with DuJuan Harris' first carry? Apparently he's been beating up the first team D in practice (on the rare occassions they put pads on). Rodgers said Harris has a chance to be special. High praise from a very credible source.

I just re watched the 1st carry...He rolled over that guy

H

HardRightEdge

Starting with the Arizona game, Green is averaging almost 4.5 per carry and that is with a low of 3.0 vs the Giants... 4 games--46 carries 210 yards

November was 129 yards per game 4.1 per carry...For the team

Dec is 146 per game, 4.8 per carry for the team

So in reality the running game "SEEMS" to be working??????????????

Here's Green's breakdown on QB-over-center vs. shotgun in those 4 games:

QB-over-center: 33 / 134 / 4.1
Shotgun: 13 / 76 / 5.9

In those games, he was not asked to carry the load. He's carried between 10 and 13 times in each of those 4 games.

Green's a long-strider, he's got a nice burst, and he works best in space. He doesn't break tackles or move the pile, but I've noticed in the last couple games he's getting some fall-forward yardage.

His carries out of shotgun enforce patience since they're by nature delays to one degree or another...the hole has a chance to develop for his burst/stride or he has the time to spot a burst-to-the-edge opportunity. He's just not the type of back who can slip and slide at the line until he finds a hole. He's the guy on this squad most likely to make a big gainer when getting clean to the second level or in the passing game.

Harris is interesting because he's a different type of runner...he looks to be one of those quick-twitch type runners, characteristic of a lot of the short guys in the league. He gets to the line quick, and his cut-and-go looks to be more of a quick lateral move. He could be a nice change of pace to compliment Green.

The all-run 7 play / 41 yard game-winning drive was the best running we've seen since 2010, alternating 3 backs with contrasting styles, all with fresh legs, working against a D-line running out of gas. One of the three things you need to get out of your running game is 4th. quarter productivity. +1

As a postscript, this is another +1 in the Rodgers 4th. quarter game winning drive column. I'm too lazy to back and find that thread. What are we up to...3? 4?

H

HardRightEdge

That Harris TD run was beautiful, especially when NBC did the slow-mo replay to show the LG pull into the hole. Everyone put a hat on a hat, and there were OL blocking at the second level.

Pretty slick, huh? It makes you wonder, "where has that been all season?" I noticed the Redskins running exactly this blocking call out of their zone scheme against the Giants two weeks ago, to good effect. Take a note.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely something I have noticed. It's not just the run game itself we're also getting the run blocking. Green has been a huge part of it but don't forget the injured Starks and Benson. Starks didn't really get hot until last week and was unfortunately injured. Keep in mind if we are talking about the Lions game last night, the Lions also ran the ball on us with a lot of success. I attribute weather conditions as a large part of the reason the running game was used a lot more than normal by both teams. If we are going to take this back as far as Arizona, then yes, it has been something that has been prevalent since then but also something that has improved. Perhaps with the lack of pass protection/ skeptic O-Line, the Pack has been working more on its running game to compensate and take the pressure off the O-Line. But here it the real beauty, at the same time as the running game is starting to kick in, the O-Line seems to have found a way to make it work. Redbird made a good point by bringing Barclay into it. There was definitely something different about the offense last night, not just our run game. I think we have found our Starks of 2010 in Barclay.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem I have with any kind of running game we establish is it has been inconsistent. As in it's there one week and anemic the next. For it to have any kind of major impact on our playoff hopes, I think it needs to be something that is used every game with some frequency.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green isnt to far removed from his knee injury...

Every time someone mentions AP they mention it is amazing he is doing it so soon after his injury..

So I think Green is finally getting the ability to cut better, plus getting used to the line and plays

Sitton and Barklay have jelled we can run on that side. Green cuts have improved.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a great chart ESPN posted this morning on our running game, specifically our success running behind Sitton and Barclay compared to the left side:

Packers Rushing by Direction, Last 2 Games

Left/MiddleRight
Rushes 29 31
Yds per rush 3.3 6.4
1st downs 4 10
TD 0 3
>>Excluding kneeldowns
Source: ESPN Stats & Information
Packers Rushing to Right, This Season

1st 11 GamesLast 2 Games
Pct. of rushes 33.6 51.7
Yds/rush 3.9 6.4
1st down pct. 18.3 32.3
10-yd rushes 5 7
TD 0 3

I think this proves much of what we've said: Barclay's stepped in nicely and the run game has taken off running behind him. Now, I'm not nearly ready to jump on the Barclay bandwagon and promote him to starting RT like some on this forum - see another post - but, he's proven he was ready to step-in when needed. Moving Lang back to guard seems automatic now, or at least should be.

12theTruth

Barclay is very good compared to our most recent RT when it comes to run blocking, but will he improve enough in pass protection to garner Rodgers trust?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Wait.......I thought running games weren't needed anymore and that it was a passing league. Or was that another forum?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Yup that's when i said to myself...no way that was Green:confused:

I did the same double-take on that first run. I first thought to myself, "Self, did Green just run over someone?" Then I noticed the jersey (#26) and asked myself, "Self, who dat?"

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wait.......I thought running games weren't needed anymore and that it was a passing league. Or was that another forum?

LOL! It is a passing league but I don't think the running game will ever become obsolete. It is certainly diminished in its use perhaps some will say underutilized. But it will always be used to pound the ball for short gains as well as 3rd down conversions when it is 3rd and short. It's also effective when you have a breakdown in pass protection that makes passing the ball difficult. I'm still a big fan of the running game and I get excited every time I see the Pack run the ball with any success because the Packers are not known to run the ball anyway. I think having a running game is going to be a crucial piece of our playoff picture and one that gives me a lot more confidence. That being said on the other end our running game has been inconsistent at best. At times there are glimmers of brilliance where other times it is anemic. If we can run the ball consistently as well as generate pass protection run blocking from our O-line, the Packers offense will be a threat as we already have the receiving core in place. Of course all this is contingent on the state of the O-Line if we are effectually trace the problems to their roots.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently it was here. On another Packer forum they are currently discussing trying to get Reggie Bush for next year.

Packer fans think alike.

There was more to that can of worms than Bush. I've never believed you don't need a running game. Some throw out stats saying otherwise but I think you help your QB, help your OL, and help your offense by having one.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
There was more to that can of worms than Bush. I've never believed you don't need a running game. Some throw out stats saying otherwise but I think you help your QB, help your OL, and help your offense by having one.
I think the running and passing games both hinge on the OL, and that a shiny new toy isn't always the quick fix everyone thinks it is

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Wait.......I thought running games weren't needed anymore and that it was a passing league.
Although I assume this was meant in jest, I don’t remember a single poster saying running games were no longer needed. What we were reading from some on this forum is the Packers need a great/fantastic/pro-bowl RB. So the question that can just as easily be asked is, ‘where did that idea go?’

After Ds got smoked by the Packers’ offense last season teams are daring the Packers to run. IMO the Packers running game has to be just good enough to dissuade them of that idea.

It’s great Barclay has done so well run blocking but for him to compete to be the RT of the future, his pass blocking will have to improve. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining about the play of an UDFA making his first starts in the NFL. All I’m saying is if it were reversed and he was great in pass pro but struggled run blocking, and if the rest of the OL passed blocked like they did during the 2010 title run, we’d be seeing a lot more pass plays. And the O would be more explosive.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I too look forward to seeing Barclay improve his footwork and technique to become a more complete lineman.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts