[RUMOR] Al Harris

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/NFL_SC-RUMOR
The Wisconsin State Journal reports that cornerback Al Harris has skipped all of the team's voluntary offseason workouts and all 14 of the club's organized team activity practices. Harris stated that he won't report to training camp on July 28 unless the Packers to rework his contract. If they don't, he doesn't want to play for the team again. Harris is under contract through 2009 and is scheduled to earn base salaries of $1.5 million this season, $2.2 million in '07, $2.85 million in '08 and $3 million in '09.

Reaction score
I've been saying from the start that I was told that Harris wants more money THIS year, something along the lines of what Seymore got from Pats last year.

Harris is dead serious about this, and he is willing to ride this out, show up for the minimum number of games and become a cancer that MM was. This is serious stuff.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well it appears that we have a "here we go again" situation. So who does this weak organization trade Harris to? And then who is next after we trade Harris because he doesn't want to live up to his contract? Unfortunately the message has been sent loud and apparently very clear that if the Packers don't do what you want them to do, that you hold out and then they trade your butt out of town to someone who will pay you. Can you guess how TT will handle this one, if Harris does hold out?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 times there were holdout rumors

2 times they were shot down by Al AND his agent.

here comes #3.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
2 times there were holdout rumors

2 times they were shot down by Al AND his agent.

here comes #3.

This one i believe is an old one too though. June 27th was the original date.

Probably zero truth to this one.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not convinced that there isn't something to this. For example, if there is no holdout, then why in the world wouldn't the guy who might be the most integral part of the entire defense be at the OTA's? Don't kid yourself Harris is formulating a plan to holdout and hold the Packers hostage, just like his buddies McKenzie and Walker did. Also don't kid yourself, once Harris pulls this off, the line will get real long in Green Bay to redo contracts or to demand a trade. This is all getting too old for the fans, but the fun is just beginning fo the players. I've heard Barnett is next.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:( Who would be a candidate to replace harris? I doubt GB has anyone on the current roster capable of playing at Harris's level and that could lead to another serious dent in the defensive alignment. With neither of the high priced CB's attending OTA's it could be another grabass year back there. Arrgggh!!! Hopefully all this is just posturing but, even that doesn't make me feel any better about this season.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Carroll will do jus fine. He has his boyhood idol on the field with him. He's not gonna wanna be **** he was his first two seasons.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ARTICLE FROM THE 26th A DAY BEFORE YOURS

Harris To Return To Training Camp In July
(AP) GREEN BAY The agent for veteran cornerback Al Harris will report for the start of Green Bay Packer training camp July 28th, despite the player's hints that he might be a holdout over contract issues.

Jack Bechta tells The Associated Press it's not an issue and Harris will be in training camp.

He says he spoke with Harris today and got assurances from his client that he won't be staying home in five weeks.

The comments came as the Packers concluded their offseason workouts today. Harris did not attend the 14 optional organized team activities and also boycotted an earlier voluntary minicamp.

He participated in a mandatory post-draft minicamp in early May but hasn't been with the team since then.

The 31-year-old Harris is under contract through 2009 after signing a six-year, 18-point-6 (m) million-dollar extension before the start of the 2004 season.

Bechta says a renegotiated contract for Harris is desired ... but he and Harris don't plan to press the issue with the Packers to get a deal done as early as the preseason.

He also says Harris has no hard feelings about the Packers signing four-time Pro Bowl cornerback Charles Woodson to a seven-year, 39 (m) million-dollar contract as a free agent this offseason.

Woodson is expected to start opposite Harris.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packone, if Harris isn't upset about his contract then where the heck was he during the OTA"s? Guys missing in action without an injury usually means something is up. I don't care what that article says. My philosophy is "don't tell me you're going to show up, just show up." It's pretty obvious to me that Mr. Harris has something up his sleeve and I will be the most surprised of anyone if shows up to camp on time, stays there, and doesn't complain.

NiVeK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fact of the matter is, Al Harris IS gonna hold out. And I hate to say it but this is one Packer who actually deserves the money. He's the anchor in our secondary and in my opinion IS better than Woodson. Do I believe we should just give in to what he wants? No. He signed a contract and he must live up to it. However, I can see where Al is coming from.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MinnesotaSucks said:
Fact of the matter is, Al Harris IS gonna hold out. And I hate to say it but this is one Packer who actually deserves the money. He's the anchor in our secondary and in my opinion IS better than Woodson. Do I believe we should just give in to what he wants? No. He signed a contract and he must live up to it. However, I can see where Al is coming from.

I agree that Al Harris is setting himself up for a hold out. I'm sorry, but this is what you get when you start giving whineasses thier way. Javon wanted out, TT gave him away, and he got paid! Now, Al is going to try to follow in his footsteps.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I think most Packer fans believe Harris is better than Woodson (except Joker) but just because a player of similar caliber gets a big contract doesn't mean you can hold out and get one

In the fans eye, it doesn't mean you can hold out. But in the player that thinks he is being wronged, he can do what ever he feels is necessary. What does history dictate in this situation, if indeed AH feels this way?

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
In the fans eye, it doesn't mean you can hold out. But in the player that thinks he is being wronged, he can do what ever he feels is necessary. What does history dictate in this situation, if indeed AH feels this way?

History says the Packers will get a 2nd rd draft pick for Al Harris and a 3rd string QB.

McKenzie = 2nd rd pick(Nick Collins), jt o'sullivan
Walker = 2nd rd pick(Daryn Colledge), ingle martin plus others

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's just a rumor so don't overreact. Though I haven't bee keeping my tabs on the Pack so unless it's confirm, I wouldn't think much of it. Remember Grady Jackson was unhappy last year and he still reported, same with Walker. So if Harris reports and plays well, I think TT might reward him like he did Driver. If he doesn't report, then TT will either trade him to get something for him or let him set 4 or 4 years. I will say at least Harris is handling this behind close doors instead of taking it to ESPN first and Rome is Burning like Walker did. So Harris is at least a little more professional.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is old news being recycled during a slow news time.

I doubt Harris will hold out.

The easy answer to this is to simply take the same money he would have made over the length of the contract and push it forward to the first 2 years. Give him a nice check when he reports, and give him free agency sooner. The Packers have the cap space, it would pay him like Woodson and he and the Packers don't have to fart around with this when his contract is over and he's nearing Social Security.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
I agree net, jus throw some extra ching at him while we have the space to keep team chemistry. Hopefully it doesn't backfire on us though.

Members online

Latest posts