Ruegamer to start?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last night on Channel 5 news, Larry McCarren reported that Grey Ruegamer started at guard in practice on Thursday. Usually the player who starts in practice on Thursday starts in the game on Sunday. This was also reported in the Press Gazette this morning. My only question is why Ruegamer was not starting from Day One of training camp, after he did such a good job filling in for Flanagan last year. The O-line shuffling has been incomprehensible this year.

Here's the Press Gazette article:

Notebook: A change at guard?
Grey Ruegamer

By Rob Demovsky
PackersNews.com

Packers coach Mike Sherman didn’t appear inclined to bench right guard Will Whitticker despite a poor performance in Monday night’s loss to Minnesota, but that may have changed on Thursday.

Sherman yanked Whitticker during Thursday’s practice after the rookie appeared to make a mistake during a 9-on-7 drill.

If Sherman decides to bench Whitticker, who has started all 10 games at right guard, he likely will go with Grey Ruegamer, who got the bulk of the reps during the remainder of practice. Ruegamer is the primary backup at center and right guard.

“They haven’t told me anything,â€

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Sherman wants to keep players on edge. Witticker needs to stay alert and not take starting for "granted". Ruegamer also needs to be ready. This is more of a mental exercise than anything.

2) The team has to send the message to the rest of the team that poor play by anyone is not tolerated.

3) It wakes up the coaching staff that they need to pay attention to their issues and that the problems of the season are not solved and not going away.

There will be no coasting to the finish line.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's too bad about Whit. but I like the move. I though he had his best game vs. Atlanta and then was absolutely awful against the Vikes so maybe sitting him down will wake his **** up. He is the RG of the future, it just may be that he doesn't start again until next season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he did have to fight pat williams, one of the best, monday. if whit was one of the best that coulda evened out, but obviously hes not. but...whatever...get o line situation straightened out before next season

Members online

Latest posts