Rookie talks may heat up next week

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rookie talks may heat up next week
By Rob Demovsky • • July 2, 2008

The Green Bay Packers haven't signed any of their draft picks, but some headway should be made soon.

Several agents who represent players selected by the Packers in the April draft expect negotiations to heat up next week.

"We've talked a few times, and we just said we'd talk after the Fourth (of July)," said Jason Chayut, who represents offensive lineman Breno Giacomini (a fifth-round draft pick). "We'll deal with it after the holiday weekend. My sense is that it's going to be a rapid-fire pace on those rookie deals after the Fourth."

Justin Shulman, whose agency represents second-round quarterback Brian Brohm, expects much the same.

"There's nothing going on," Shulman said, "but my guess would be it would be (after the holiday weekend)."

A spokesman for Bruce Tollner, who represents seventh-round receiver Brett Swain, said there's nothing going on with their client's contract, either.

Russ Ball, the Packers' first-year vice president of player finance, didn't return a message left at his office on Tuesday.

Typically, teams sign their late-round draft picks first because those are fairly standard contracts, so guys such as Swain and fellow seventh-round quarterback Matt Flynn might be among the first deals signed.

The Packers have nine draft picks to sign, but none of the negotiations should be complicated because they didn't make a pick in the first round. They traded their first-round pick (No. 30 overall) to the New York Jets, so their first pick was in the second round (No. 36), when they took Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson.

The Packers have a rookie salary pool of $4,076,190 to sign their nine draft picks plus their undrafted rookie free agents.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PWT - That $4 million, is that enough? We do have a lot of draft picks and I'm assuming one or two first year FAs might be signed as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts