Rookie Cap Money

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
This is probably stupid and insignificant to everyone. I was wondering if we have say $4.97 million in rookie cap space allotted and we only use say $4.43 million, what happens to that remaining $540,000?

Knowing what I know about Andrew Brandt I'm willing to bet he figured out how to spend every nickel possible and that is another reason the 1st round picks are usually last, but what if we didn't use it all? What happens to it?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It is just more open cap money within the pool. The rookie pool is part of the overall cap, so any money saved within it is money that can be used as desired. The rookie cap is meant not only to keep rookie salaries from escalating, but to keep the salaries uniform in basic structure. Hence so some team with 15 million in cap space doesn't frontload the rookie salaries making it difficult for other team to get their rookies signed.

The last thing the NFL wants is new talent off the field cause of a salary dispute.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
If it's meant to keep rookie salaries from escalating its not working. Every year rookies get millions more and more...

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
If it's meant to keep rookie salaries from escalating its not working. Every year rookies get millions more and more...[/quote

That rookie pool increases right along with the overall cap, so it will grow as the overall cap grows. Now the league can't control guaranteed money vs bonus money. But the players union won't agree to a flat rookie scale like the NBA, partly because it takes money out of the players, thus out of the unions pockets. Not to mention Gene's agent has a lot of pull in the CBA negotiations, he shouldn't but thus is the American way. Greed :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts