Rodgers vs other clutch q/b

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey gang,

Read a couple stats where wins/losses are concerned that Ted Thompson apologists, Mike McCarthy apologists, Aaron Rodgers apologists, and Brett Favre haters are gonna be pulling their hair out over. The Racine Journal Times ran a story on the sports page where in the story it was reported that in close games (10 points or less) since Aaron became the starter in 2008 the Packers are 21-24. A .467 winning percentage (I did the math, not the story). When the margin is 4 points or less the record is 6-18. A winning percentage of just 25%.

I do not know how Aaron's numbers compare to other QBs in the league, but these numbers are dismal at best. Aaron yes is a Superbowl winning QB, but these numbers show that in crunch time, the Packers will most times get crunched.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really want me to go back and show you the rest of Favre's clutch games? And no if you watched the games as I did you will have seen time after time where Brett Favre was CLUTCH.

Seven times in his first two seasons did he bring the Packers back from 4th quarter deficits. That's not clutch? LOL

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

12theTruth

Follow along will you! LOL If you had read the read clutch it is in reference for Favre circa 92-98.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you really want me to go back and show you the rest of Favre's clutch games? And no if you watched the games as I did you will have seen time after time where Brett Favre was CLUTCH.

Seven times in his first two seasons did he bring the Packers back from 4th quarter deficits. That's not clutch? LOL

Ooh Ooh how bout this one!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Follow along will you! LOL If you had read the read clutch it is in reference for Favre circa 92-98.

True but Favre also played on teams that were much much more disciplined teams. Holmgren's teams weren't the most physically talented but they rarely screwed up.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would like to see the stat of how many times Aaron gave the Packers the lead in the 4th and the defense gave it away. I am the first to criticize Aaron on his 4th quarter play, but you cannot doubt the fact the Packers defense in 93 with Butler, White, Brown, Patterson, Pulp, Koonce, Bennett, Teague... Was a little better at holding a lead than the one we currently have.

12theTruth

True but Favre also played on teams that were much much more disciplined teams. Holmgren's teams weren't the most physically talented but they rarely screwed up.

Whatever the case being Favre was clutch when he had Holmgren keeping him in line.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is Aaron Rodgers' late game record would look a lot better with an Adam Viniwhatshisface as opposed to Donk Crosby. Why is he Donk Crosby, because of the noise he makes when drills an upright in the waning moments of a game.

12theTruth

Thing is Aaron Rodgers' late game record would look a lot better with an Adam Viniwhatshisface as opposed to Donk Crosby. Why is he Donk Crosby, because of the noise he makes when drills an upright in the waning moments of a game.

I've always wondered what Crosby's full name was? Thanks for the update. Missin Donk Crosby. Nice ring to it. LOL

12theTruth

Well lets see here.... I'm a Rodgers fan, think Favre is now a ******, a realistic Thompson supporter, and think that McCarthy lacks critical in game awareness or intelligence too often.

The statistics bear out the inconvenient truth that Aaron Rodgers is not a good come from behind QB. He is great in other ways and another Super Bowl victory would render this argument pointless.

He does come across as aloof at times and seems not to always connect with his fellow teammates as much as you'd like.

But these facts trump the others

QB Passer rating
TD vs Interceptions
Victories

Aaron is a great QB with room for improvement and will only need 1 more Super Bowl victory to unequivocally move past Favre in the Packer annals. A solid offensive line would be nice to see for a change. Oh wait that was a problem with Favre for a good amount of time too.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is soo many things that go into this... It's impossible to say it is on Rodgers. I have said this before and have a thread about how mistakes Rodgers made in the last game. But does the article go into theses things...

1) How many field goals were missed in the fourth quarter that could have given the Packers a win.

2) How many time the offense gained the lead in the fourth quarter and the defense gave it up.

3) How many fumbles occurred in the fourth quarter that had nothing to do with Rodgers.

4) How many of those games were the Packers down by much more and Rodgers brought them back just to run out of time because the defense couldn't get the ball back.

Everyone wants to make the easy assumption that close losses = Rodgers inability in crunch time. But if you are going to be fair research those games and find out if Rodgers was actually to blame. Personally I put the Cincy loss on him. He had a lot of opportunities he let slide in that game. But that is 1.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
The whole QB comeback debate is way overblown. Teams win and lose games as a team. Yes, there are times when Rodgers isn't clutch. There are other times when he does his job only to see defense or special teams blow it.

The Atlanta game in 2010 is a great example. Rodgers leads a 90-yard TD drive to tie it with just over a minute to play. Special teams gives up a big return and a penalty to give the Falcons the ball at midfield. The defense lets Matt Ryan drive 20 yards in under 40 seconds to set up a last-second field goal.

But according to the stat sheet, it was just another failed 4th quarter comeback by Rodgers.

Stats never lie, right?

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may try to make something to show these games...

But we all know another one of these. The fail-mary last year. Game decided by 2 points. Rodgers lead an 81 yard drive in the fourth to take the lead with 8:53 left in the game.

Damn you Rodgers and your replacement refs!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From reading the OP and the follow up comments, I think it's safe to say that the Packers need to improve over all as a team.
Rodgers and the offense needs to put up more points on the board and get better at making last minute crunch time comebacks and the defense needs to stop other teams from scoring.
We are good at turnovers but fail at capitalizing on those turnovers.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I like Aaron Rodgers, but won't be pulling much hair out over the growing body of evidence that indicates he might not be a very good clutch player. It is what it is. Enjoy the Packers while we can. They, and ARod, are pretty darned good. Even if we haven't had a stud RB in the last 40 years. Oh, wait, that is a different thread created by a different Packer hater... :confused:

Also, I am bald. Pulled out my hair a long time ago during the Favre regime. He was a great clutch player right up until he threw the INT... :D

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Aaron Rodgers, but won't be pulling much hair out over the growing body of evidence that indicates he might not be a very good clutch player. It is what it is. Enjoy the Packers while we can. They, and ARod, are pretty darned good. Even if we haven't had a stud RB in the last 40 years. Oh, wait, that is a different thread created by a different Packer hater... :confused:

Also, I am bald. Pulled out my hair a long time ago during the Favre regime. He was a great clutch player right up until he threw the INT... :D

Was that INT against Cincy in '92?

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
Another article on Rodgers/McCarthy in the clutch: http://www.packersnews.com/article/...gers-not-clutch-Broad-evidence-says-otherwise
People love a good conspiracy theory.

When things go badly for the Green Bay Packers, as they did in a 34-30 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, the hysterical reaction can be confounding, if not borderline comical.

The latest crackpot notion, presumably cooked up near a grassy knoll outside Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, claims that Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers can’t win close games.

If you believe the naysayers, McCarthy and Rodgers choke in the clutch. We are told that the same coach-quarterback tandem that led the Packers to a Super Bowl championship less than three years ago turns into fourth-quarter stumblebums when the score gets tight.

It makes for a compelling story line, as long as you don’t mind numbers getting manipulated to argue a half-baked theory.

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I would like to see the stat of how many times Aaron gave the Packers the lead in the 4th and the defense gave it away.
From the article I posted above (emphasis is mine):
Rodgers has a 58-31 career record (.652) as a starter. There have been seven times during that span in which he helped put the Packers ahead in the fourth quarter, only to see the defense give up the lead and lose those games.

Kacsmar correctly points out Rodgers isn’t solely to blame for the lack of late-game victories. In many cases the Packers came up short despite Rodgers’ best efforts.

According to Kacsmar, the Packers’ defense has allowed 20 game-winning drives since 2008, the year Rodgers became a starter, which is third-most in the NFL over that span.

Members online

Latest posts