OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Granted a free workout with the team couldn't hurt anyone,

That is all I ask...

Since the pool of available lineman probably are injured, or not good, you have a limited amount to choose from..

If all things equal who is better..A guy that knows the system and may need to get in playing shape..

Or a guy that might be in shape but has no clue what the play book is

CheesePacker24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Rodgers won't choose who the team will sign, making suggestions or stating an opinion is fine. The team should speed the process up with many players sustaining injuries.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
LTF, I know what you are saying, I really do....but....this is all a pipe dream. The guy is friends with Arod, and Arod will only say positive things about his friends. But people need to see the real light here, that bringing back clifton is not a good move no matter our needs on the O line. His time off would be his downfall, his knowledge of the playbook would be the only positive factor I could think of. Guys like J. Peppers and N. Suh would eat him alive right about now. Granted the guy said he will stay in shape, but without real time workouts, if you don't use it...you lose it.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LTF, I know what you are saying, I really do....but....this is all a pipe dream. The guy is friends with Arod, and Arod will only say positive things about his friends. But people need to see the real light here, that bringing back clifton is not a good move no matter our needs on the O line. His time off would be his downfall, his knowledge of the playbook would be the only positive factor I could think of. Guys like J. Peppers and N. Suh would eat him alive right about now. Granted the guy said he will stay in shape, but without real time workouts, if you don't use it...you lose it.

So a work out with the team to see how much he has lost is not needed?

How about this

You can buy a $20 ticket to win a $1000, only 100 others are allowed to buy same ticket.....Do you risk buying it, or you shrug shoulders and say it wont happen to me?

Point is you never know till you try..I really can't see any down size to bringing him in.....

That is what is flabbergasting me...People are dead set on bringing him in

I said this b4---- the Packers wont sign him...He is most likely out of game shape..Hurts no one to bring him in..

But what IF he is pretty close to game shape? Never know till you try

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO Rodgers was just being nice regarding a former teammate he likes. But it didn't sound to me like he was lobbying for Clifton like he did for Jones, for example. Bring Cliffy in to see how he looks? OK but IMO it's a waste of time and plane ticket and I would hope/guess Clifton knows that too. I appreciate Cliffy's contributions to the franchise. Cliffy was a great pass-blocking LT. But re-watch his last few games: He's done.

The Packers were thin on the OL before Bulaga went on IR. Now they are perilously thin. Barclay as the backup OT and Van Roten as the backup inside doesn't inspire a bit of confidence in me, but Chad Clifton wouldn't either. I'm hoping they feel good enough about Newhouse to activate him rather than put him on IR after the trial period is up. But IMO that's our best hope regarding depth on the OL at this point.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Obsess much?

btw early on I told you why I thought it was a bad idea. You rejected my reasoning. Whatever dude!

Bringing him in is a bad idea? WHY!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?

I dont think he will be signed, I dont think he is able to play anymore...But doesnt hurt to bring him in..Make sense?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Based on previous medical evals they might have a reason for not bringing him in.

But if not, then no reason not to take another look at him. Who knows, maybe he has moved on with his life.

Sometimes fans get caught up in a big name. When the production at that point is low. Low enough where the 23 yr old free agent/practice squad guy is just as good.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the answer is: Because GM Ted Thompson has not done it. So they side with the status quo.
But if Ted were to bring him in, and they signed him, then these same Negative Nancy's would say it was a great move.... whatever Ted does, they support it.

Some good in that thinking, but also sometimes some people need to learn how to think outside the box.

A lot of these particular fans scoffed at the idea of bringing in Cedric Benson back in the summer.
Such a cynical statement that I think is focused on TT and not the role of the GM/player relationship.

When one of the most popular players on the team advocates for or against personnel moves, it has the strong potential to hurt the team. It's the same reason why coach/GM roles don't work. The GM should be insulated from the emotion of the game in order to make sound personnel moves for the long term success of the franchise. When you have Rodgers (or Woodson or anyone else) advocating for personnel moves, the fan base and/or media often jumps on board, making it much tougher for the GM to do otherwise.

If the GM, in this case TT, is in favor of bringing in Clifton then there is no problem. If he isn't but Rodgers is advocating for it, he either has to do it or may face bad PR and/or negative fan opinions for not doing what Rodgers wanted. IMO, this is where Favre started falling out of favor by acting like the GM publicly. It's not good policy for the QB to make these type of statements.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I think the answer is: Because GM Ted Thompson has not done it. So they side with the status quo.
But if Ted were to bring him in, and they signed him, then these same Negative Nancy's would say it was a great move.... whatever Ted does, they support it.

Some good in that thinking, but also sometimes some people need to learn how to think outside the box.

A lot of these particular fans scoffed at the idea of bringing in Cedric Benson back in the summer.
Thinking everything Thompson does is correct is as foolish as having a bias against him based upon what happened regarding a former QB. But where do you see evidence of that on this thread? We all saw, or had the opportunity to see, Clifton play last year. He was replaced in the playoff game because he was playing so poorly. IMO he was responsible for a TO on the Packers first series of the second half. My - and I'm sure others - thinking Clifton is done is based on the evidence of watching him play. Why impugn those whose opinions differ with yours on this subject?

H

HardRightEdge

Clifton failed his Packer physical. NE brought him in for a look see in August...failed again.

As far as I can tell, Clifton has not filed his retirement papers, so he evidently holds out hope he can play again.

36 years old with back and chronic knee problems is inauspicious.

Lets say you brought him in, he looked OK, and you signed him for insurance. But if you have to use the insurance, how long before he breaks down again leaving you in a pickel? At this stage of the season, I think it better to use the practice time getting the young guys better prepared to play.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Clifton failed his Packer physical. NE brought him in for a look see in August...failed again.

As far as I can tell, Clifton his not filed his retirement papers, so he evidently holds out hope he can play again.

Lets say you brought him, he looked OK, and you signed him for insurance. But if you have to use the insurance, how long before he breaks down again leaving you in a pickel? At this stage of the season, I think it better to use the practice time getting the young guys better prepared to play.

Now that is the answer I wanted...People said no but no reason why

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As far as I can tell, Clifton has not filed his retirement papers, so he evidently holds out hope he can play again.

Lets say you brought him in, he looked OK, and you signed him for insurance. But if you have to use the insurance, how long before he breaks down again leaving you in a pickel? At this stage of the season, I think it better to use the practice time getting the young guys better prepared to play.
Yes, That is pretty much what I said with these two posts:

"Did anyone see Clifton play at the end of last year? The guy was just a shell of what he was. It was pretty sad seeing him struggle."

"I saw a guy who was pretty much used up".

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah we really saw late last year he was a shell of his former self. Not to mention all the injuries in his past. I think there's got to be a lot of better options elsewhere for a roster spot.

Not to mention by the time we'd brought him up to game speed would be around the same time we'd be getting Sherrod back healthy. Who at this point in their careers is much better off.

For those saying he could work well out of reserve or in a pinch:I think Tom Crabtree could service just as well as Clifton could in a pinch.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, That is pretty much what I said with these two posts:

"Did anyone see Clifton play at the end of last year? The guy was just a shell of what he was. It was pretty sad seeing him struggle."

"I saw a guy who was pretty much used up".

Lets say you brought him, he looked OK, and you signed him for insurance. But if you have to use the insurance, how long before he breaks down again leaving you in a pickel? At this stage of the season, I think it better to use the practice time getting the young guys better prepared to play.

You said that?

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah we really saw late last year he was a shell of his former self. Not to mention all the injuries in his past. I think there's got to be a lot of better options elsewhere for a roster spot.

Not to mention by the time we'd brought him up to game speed would be around the same time we'd be getting Sherrod back healthy. Who at this point in their careers is much better off.

For those saying he could work well out of reserve or in a pinch:I think Tom Crabtree could service just as well as Clifton could in a pinch.

I wouldn't be so sure about Sherrod. By rule, it was either designate him to return to practice or put him on IR. There does not appear to be a downside to designating him for practice...either way he gets paid, either way he does not take up a roster spot, and if he doesn't come around after 3 weeks he'll go to IR anyway.

Unless somebody can say he's participated in a padded practice, none of this suggests a firm belief he'll be ready to go any time this season; more like a vague hope. After the 3 week period it will be fish or cut bait...by rule activate him or send him to IR.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahhh but now you're twisting things. It wasnt a question of "if Clifton was brought in would you trust him?"

The kicker shouldn't get to pick his holder.
The RB shouldn't get to pick his FB.
MLBer shouldn't get to pick his DT.
QB shouldn't get to pick his C.

Players are paid to play. Not make executive decisions. Rodgers along with every other player in the NFL should keep their mouth shut when it comes to those matters. I said it about Favre and I'll say it about Rodgers.

Or do YOU think Ted should give advice to Rodgers on how to throw? I mean its his player he picked and his *ss on the line if it doesn't go well.
I certainly lend more credence to Rodgers' opinion of his pass protector than I do any of us fans on here.
That's all.

Even Benedict Favre was right in 2007 when he said Randy Moss still had something left.

Again, those players are entitled to their opinions as much as you are. And believe it or not, sometimes they are right, sometimed Ted is wrong, etc. and sometimes there is a lot of gray area.

Don't rip Rodgers for having his opinion here and don't rip any of us from agreeing with him. He knows who's 4, 5 on the depth chart at OT, and ask Graham Harrell about that too because they were blocking for him in August.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did he make a personnel decision, or did he give his opinion?
Big difference.

Just like Ted shouldn't give advice on Rodgers throwing motion.

Personnel decisions are above players pay grades, so to speak. They are drumming up problems with suggestions on how to run the team.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I certainly lend more credence to Rodgers' opinion of his pass protector than I do any of us fans on here.
That's all.

Even Benedict Favre was right in 2007 when he said Randy Moss still had something left.

Again, those players are entitled to their opinions as much as you are. And believe it or not, sometimes they are right, sometimed Ted is wrong, etc. and sometimes there is a lot of gray area.

Don't rip Rodgers for having his opinion here and don't rip any of us from agreeing with him. He knows who's 4, 5 on the depth chart at OT, and ask Graham Harrell about that too because they were blocking for him in August.

I didn't "rip" Rodgers, or "rip" the fans. Why are you twisting things and trying to start drama? Bored?

Mike Sherman knows more about football but clearly personnel decisions were above his pay grade... Or at least should have been.

It's nothing to do with Ted Thompson (you sound very negative towards him IMO). It has to do with rank and file. I don't care if its the Panthers, a player shouldn't talk above their title.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliffy is at least hope. He may be completely toast at this point but the idea of looking into it is rational.
Sherrod may not see the field this year and we literally have no one else that can play at this level. That is where the lack of depth can make a team pay the price. In 96' Wolf found Bruce Wilkerson, who helped save the day when Ken Ruetgers was all washed up. Not an all-pro but it kept Favre on his feet more often than not that year.
Look at Randy Moss. At his age he should only be catching short hook routes but he can still stretch the field and go get it. But then we have survived with no back up QB this season so far. I guess not having another tackle won't make a difference either.