Rodgers thinks Pack "should" talk to Clifton

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
http://espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=14911

“I haven’t talked to ‘Cliff’ in a while, but I would guess he might be able to be lured from Nashville,” Rodgers said. Asked if he’d like to see the Packers try to lure Clifton back, Rodgers replied, “I love Cliff, so I would never not want to see him up here. We’ve had a lot of fun together and it would be good to see him back up here.”
Rodgers gave no indication that the Packers are actually contemplating bringing Clifton back. Asked if he thought Clifton might have enough left in the tank to help the Packers, Rodgers replied, “I think if there’s any interest, it’s worth looking into. At least (it’d be worth) bringing him up here and seeing what kind of shape he’s in, how his body is. It’s worth that if there’s interest on our side.”

It is always worth a look to bring someone in

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I couldn't really disagree with Rodgers' thought. It doesn't hurt to bring the guy in to see how he looks. That costs Green Bay a plane ticket. I think that the media and fans are worrying about the LT situation more than the staff, and have a pretty good feeling that Sherrod is very likely to be taken off of the PUP list

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be a bad move he knows the scheme ,and being midseason think he can hold up if he stayed in shape,he may be better than last year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he has been working out and kept his football body then absolutely....give him a look. It would be better to have him as insurance rather than having to restructure the entire line in the event of another injury.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stick with throwing the football. Leave the personnel decisions to the people paid to make them.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first thing that came to mind when I saw Bulaga get carted off against the Cardinals is " What is Clifton up to?" He really only played in one or two games after he came back from his injuries last season. But he is a veteran with a great track record. If his body is in any kind of shape I'd look to getting him for several reasons.
1) His experience could loom large in post season
2) We are skinny thin on qualified O- linemen left on the roster.
3) If one or two more guys go down we are in ****(((&
4) Rodgers is the franchise. If we cannot protect him, look out.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did anyone see Clifton play at the end of last year? The guy was just a shell of what he was. It was pretty sad seeing him struggle.

Rodgers is stepping outside the box as a player with this lobbying in my opinion.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Did anyone see Clifton play at the end of last year? The guy was just a shell of what he was. It was pretty sad seeing him struggle.

Rodgers is stepping outside the box as a player with this lobbying in my opinion.

So bringing in a guy that knows the system to see how much shape he is in, is wrong?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You saw a guy who was still riddled with injuries...and he still might be.

However, I agree with ivo610 that I'm not a big fan of players sticking their noses in personnel decisions. I didn't like when Favre took Javon Walker to task and don't think that this helps either.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
There is a good reason he is no longer in GB. Not worth the look as of right now. He would be out of shape big time and would only bring a bigger threat to Arod. Not a good idea. I know that he and Arod are friends, but that is no reason to bring that idea up, friends and business are not a good mix......especially when that friend tries to protect you.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not to mention, clifton had a long career and his knee(s) were giving him problems. He needs to just stay retired and go fishing.

Knees? Article says back and hamstring was last issues

Again how does anyone know he isnt in shape? The only way to know is if he comes in for a work out..

What is the harm in it?

Really---- why are people dead set against him just coming for a work out????? It costs nothing and doesnt mean he will be signed

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well while we are at it why not bring in Tauscher? What about Earl Dotson?

Now your you just being obstinate

The article states he was going to stay in shape waiting for the call..

No one has given me a real answer as to why it is wrong to bring him in for a work out

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stick with throwing the football. Leave the personnel decisions to the people paid to make them.
So the guy who's life is in the hands of the OL should just shut up, not have an opinion?
If he trusts Clifton to protect him, he should be able to think it and say it.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really---- why are people dead set against him just coming for a work out????? It costs nothing and doesnt mean he will be signed
I think the answer is: Because GM Ted Thompson has not done it. So they side with the status quo.
But if Ted were to bring him in, and they signed him, then these same Negative Nancy's would say it was a great move.... whatever Ted does, they support it.

Some good in that thinking, but also sometimes some people need to learn how to think outside the box.

A lot of these particular fans scoffed at the idea of bringing in Cedric Benson back in the summer.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He has a history of bad injuries, which he did recover from the worst of ( warren sapp dirty hit that gave clifton the pelvis injury) The last known injury was that bad hamstring injury.

Pelvis injury
Hamstring
Back injury
Both knees are weak from repeted injury

After being off for a long time with no real reps, I doubt anyone could come back and be 100% and protect 100%. Those types of injuries will nag him till the day he dies.

Granted a free workout with the team couldn't hurt anyone, it will just make a media frenzy that most fans will fall into with false hopes....only to have those hopes shattered. I liked the guy, but this is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and grasping for straws.

If we truely need O line, we need to look elsewhere

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the guy who's life is in the hands of the OL should just shut up, not have an opinion?
If he trusts Clifton to protect him, he should be able to think it and say it.

Ahhh but now you're twisting things. It wasnt a question of "if Clifton was brought in would you trust him?"

The kicker shouldn't get to pick his holder.
The RB shouldn't get to pick his FB.
MLBer shouldn't get to pick his DT.
QB shouldn't get to pick his C.

Players are paid to play. Not make executive decisions. Rodgers along with every other player in the NFL should keep their mouth shut when it comes to those matters. I said it about Favre and I'll say it about Rodgers.

Or do YOU think Ted should give advice to Rodgers on how to throw? I mean its his player he picked and his *ss on the line if it doesn't go well.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts