Rodgers' MVP Chances?

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I beleive Rodgers severly damaged his MVP chances yesterday. Brees continued his stellar play, leads the league in yards, percentage and is only 3 TD passes behind Rodgers and has a QBR of 109. The Saints are on track to possibly get the #2 seed. He has played much better than Aaron the last 4 weeks.

Tom Brady is also looking excellent - 2nd in yards, QBR of 106, 35 td passes and has also played outstanding coming down the stretch.

However, I do believe if Aaron finishes with two great games he will still win the award but I doubt it will be unanimous as earlier thought. I have great faith in him and I wouldn't trade him for any QB in the league. The play of the offensive line is a great concern and the receivers definitely need to step up their performance in the last two weeks, not to mention the defense needs to improve. The defense allows the opponent to stay on the field for long stretches, limiting Rodgers' opportunities to put points on the board.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rodgers beat out for the MVP. I think the biggest culprit has been the O-line. In the long run, I really don't care much about individual awards.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Chris Carter (yes that CC) said because Rodgers has been consistently doing this over 18+ games, he still deserves it..

I will say if he has poor showings next two weeks and Brees continues, it will be a tight race, maybe a tie.

IF he doe splay poorly for 3 weeks in a row, a MVP doesnt do that, specially at the end of the season

PackAttack1992

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had one mediocre game - Brees and Brady have had worse. No need to jump the gun ;) One bad game doesn't mean that he's not MVP material. Every QB has a few bad games.

He played consistently well for 3-4 years. He's more than earned MVP and a bad game.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR: 322-473 (68.1%) 4,360 yards, 40 TD, 6 INT
DB: 417-583 (71.5%) 4,780 yards, 37 TD, 11 INT

Tough call IMO. Brees has 400 more yards, but also almost 100 more passes. That makes his completion % more accomplished (more consistent) but deflates the significance of the passing yards and TD's which also explaining the difference in INT's. If Brees ends the season with more TD's it'll be a really tough call.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st take

Eric Mangini and Skip (is an idiot)Bayles said Brady
Yep I am watching that too.....

TWO big weeks left, and here's Rodgers' problems:

• Number 1, he's missing his BEST guy in Jennings. I don't care what some people say, that is a HUGE loss.
  • Number 2, his 2 remaining games are in crappy ice cold weather where the frozen hard ball is harder to throw than it is in Sept-Oct, or in a dome, harder to grip and catch. And we already see how many drops these receivers have when it's as cold as 50 degrees.
  • Number 3, his opponents are the Bears, who are Kryptonite to him. And the Lions, who will be pissed off.
    Number 4, our O-line is in shambles right now.
  • Number 5, McCarthy might rest him, and/or try and keep him alive while hoping Bulaga can come back and Clifton too.....
  • Number 6, both of Brees remaining games are at home, in the friendly confines of that dome. He might rack up 8-9 more touchdowns to go along with shattering Marino's yardage record and leading the Saints to the 2nd best record in the NFL. Being a Super Bowl champion and MVP helps his chances.

Now if Brady keeps his schit up too, and his last 2 games are: vs crappy Miami, and vs crappy Buffalo, he will get plenty of votes too. Voters love that guy because he has 3 rings.

It's gone from a landslide, to a wide-open race. Remember there is a lot of east-coast bias in the media.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
F That! He deserves it! One loss shouldnt tarnish it... Its not like Brees and Brady have had a flawless season! The MVP is ARods!

It's not just yesterday. He's had like two bad games in a row.

But all the dropped passes sure aren't helping any.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guys, keep in mind if you are putting Brees up against Rodgers, Brees and the Saints didn't get off to that great of a start this year. In fact, many people were starting to rule them out of the picture around mid season. They have turned their season around but Aaron Rodgers hasn't needed a turnaround. His play has been consistent all season long with the exception of yesterday's game which has more to do with his o-lineman than himself. One small tarnish on a record breaking season is not going to be enough to overturn it. I think people are going to be paying close attention to him in the last two games to see how he recovers from yesterday, but if the Packers decide to put Flynn in, that might be a moot point. If you are going to factor Brady into the equation, he hasn't been on his game either. I'm not just looking at what these QBs are doing right now, I'm looking at what they have done all this season and no matter how I look at it, Brees and Brady just pale in comparison to Rodgers when you look at the season as a whole.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
. In fact, many people were starting to rule them out of the picture around mid season. They have turned their season around

Why did the Saints turn around their season? Maybe Brees got better? Which in turn could be a case for MVP

I am not saying he will win it, but if Aaron falters next two games, that just might push him self out of the race

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did the Saints turn around their season? Maybe Brees got better? Which in turn could be a case for MVP

I am not saying he will win it, but if Aaron falters next two games, that just might push him self out of the race

I think Brees did get better for the 2nd half of the season for sure. I think the race is going to come down to the last two games, for all 3 QBs. But I kind of hope they factor in the whole season into this. Rodgers was just invincible up until the last 2 games. Brees, not so much. But if they are going to focus on what they are doing right now, than our guy may be in some trouble.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think Brees totally deserves it after this week.

Sorry to say, but the completion percentage rate is HUGE. For every dropped pass by Jermichael Finley, it just hurts the rating for Rodgers.

This is actually sad....New Orleans only has 2 elite weapons. Sproles and Graham, the rest of those receivers are B and C rating, and he still has a better completion percentage rate than anyone in NFL, including all the star power the Patriots have, and our much better WR's.

Seriously, as a whole, Brees is probably the most underrated quarterback in the top 5, and people still down him. ESPN's top 4 quarterbacks is Rodgers, Eli Manning, Brady, and Brees. You hear all that BS about how great Eli is "You can't spell Elite without Eli!" and he goes and blows it against the Redskins with 3 INTs, yet they give him every excuse in the book, and now they are still saying how the Giants will still win the East.

If Brees wins it this year, he deserves it. People love to down the guy and say they can't play well on the road, (or when they win on the road, make excuses to continue downing them lol) but go look at his stats for once instead of listening to the media. He has played LIGHTS OUT since they lost those early games in the season.

Rodgers had his first game with a below 50% completion rate, and I think that is going to really jeopardize him winning the MVP. I'd rather win the Super Bowl than MVP though.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees has thrown 17 TD and 0 Int in last 6 weeks. He has a case if Rodgers doesn't play well next two games. Brady went 15 TD and 1 Int in that timespan as well. 2nd Half of the season is huge for MVP since that's where playoff positioning start to unwind. I'd still give it to Rodgers but Brees train is picking up considering he'll break Marino's record as early as next week.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, once Brees breaks Marino's passing yrds record you'll start hearing his name as the MVP front runner, and I think that might put him over the top to win the award.

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All awards are "what have you done for me lately" awards. If Rodgers has 2 more sub-par games I wouldn't be surprised if he gets beat out for the MVP, despite deserving it for his work over the majority of the season.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who votes on the MVP award? The media. And the media is so knee-jerk that after one loss, the Packers are no longer the best team in the league and Rodgers is no longer the MVP. Maybe Rodgers can redeem himself against the Bears and Lions. But if Brees runs up the score on his last two opponents, he's getting the MVP over Rodgers.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brees has a pretty good WR corp.

A better TE.

And an actual running game.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Brees is not going to win the MVP even if he breaks Dan's record. A good percentage of Brees' yards and TD's were in blowout wins, unlike Rodgers who has to score because of our pitiful defense.

Brees also has possibly the best offensive line in football. There are a lot of QB's in this league who could up respectable numbers under center for the Saints. Nobody barely ever lays a finger on Drew Brees behind his O-line. Meanwhile for the last 8-10 games Rodgers has thrown more touchdowns and less interceptions behind a patchwork offensive line and no rushing attack. We lead the league in drops if I'm not mistaken as well. If it was any other QB under center for us, they'd be in a coma and our team would probably have a losing record.

Rodgers is the clear MVP and one performance where he got absolutely no protection, our receivers dropped a record number of passes and we still only lost by 5 won't and shouldn't keep him from winning.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If Rogers is not the MVP, I will Paint my body Green and Gold and run up and down my street naked shouting "There is no DOG" (I'm dyslexic). This will probably land me in court for a long time since anyone who witnesses this will be temporarily blinded and suffer from PTSD.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers and Saints played the same NFC teams (Rams, Giants, NFC South, NFC North).

Rodgers is 10-0 vs. the NFC.

Brees is 7-3.

Members online

Latest posts