Rodgers' first year was not bad, but he needs lot of work on

packer98

Cheesehead
Reaction score
handling pressure and undrstanding how to run the 2 minute drill. Not a bad first year, but needs to wok on those area in a big way in the off season. Thoughts?

c_mac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Better o-line play will go a long way in helping Rodgers and Grant play better in the last minutes.

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that's a fair assessment. Also, I think at times Aaron holds onto the ball a bit too long.

Still, it was a good first year, and he should improve going forward.

OHIOFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of the "issues" fans see will be cleared up once he gets some help on the o-line and when the team is able to run the ball when it needs to. Rodgers has the ability and is able to handle pressure (top qb rating in the league inside the red zone) but he needs to know that he can trust his team and that he does not need to make plays on his own. When he makes the mistakes inside 2 minutes it is because he is pressing, getting desparate for someone to get open and getting rid of the ball before the pocket caves in. Some of this is due to lack of experience, but if we had a back to catch screen passes out of the back field and also more security from the O-line the receivers would have more times to get open (a play to develop). At the beginning of the season, I thought A-rod would have roughly 27 tds and 10 pics, he is very close to those numbers. Rodgers seems to be a very inteligent player and determined to be the best he can be. I think that he will make the Pro Bowl next year and that means the Pack will have to have a winning record. Overall with the pressure of replacing Brett and the poor play of the o-line and the inability of the team to run the ball at critical times, I would give Rodgers an A, he could do better, but which player could not improve? Did anyone else notice all the dropped balls this year compared to last year? Merry Christmas everyone

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe that under the circumstances, i.e. questionable play calls and OL, Rodgers has done very well. It's a sure thing, in my mind at least, that the Packers have a fine QB for many years. He is talented and intelligent and capable of improving. Many other teams are not so blessed. Next year, much depends on Thompson getting help for him, on BOTH lines. He is the one that gives me the most confidence in the future.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, if Rodgers brings the team back to take a lead, and the defense gives it up on a quick drive, forcing Rodgers to do it again, do we blame it on him?

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He does, I know I won't be adding much to the conversation here, but I don't think anything was really his fault. The pitiful O Line and pathetic defense is the only reason he didn't win games.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dansz15 said:
He does, I know I won't be adding much to the conversation here, but I don't think anything was really his fault. The pitiful O Line and pathetic defense is the only reason he didn't win games.
i agree ... Rodgers had a great season ... if he had a o line he would have had a stand out year ... but all in all he was great ... im glad to see him not injured too ,, i was worried in the beginning of the season ...

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NMke posted : agree ... Rodgers had a great season ... if he had a o line he would have had a stand out year ... but all in all he was great ... im glad to see him not injured too ,, i was worried in the beginning of the season "

Mike-- Aaron Rodgers received a strained shoulder injury in the Bucs game on Sep 28. He played with final 12 games for the '08 season after this injury. It would be not be until Nov 23 ,that QB Aaron Rodgers would not be listed on Packer injury list. The Packers team dotors said ,if Rodgers played the '08 season with out taking time off from playing football to allow his injury to heal ; It is quite possible that he would feel pain from that injury in every one of those last 12 games -he played. Aaron Rodgers is going under go tests on his shoulder in off season to see ,if he needs a operation to correct any problem, there maybe in his on his shoulder

To go through the preasure of everything that happen during off season and his first season starting in NFL. All in all, . QB
QB Aaron Rodger performance was one of few brights spots in this '08 Packer losing season.

In the past history of this Packer franchise during the change over of veteran QB to his younger replacement, mostly has not gone smoothly.

This Rodgers change over probably is 2nd smoothest change over from Veteran QB to Young Packer . The smoothest change over was when veteran Packer QB Don Majkowski was was injured early in first Quarter of Bengal game,
which was third game of 1992 season. Then Back up QB Brett Favre came in and pulled out a comeback 28-27 Packer victory over the Bengals. The Packera finshed the 1992 season at 9-7. From that time in 1992, QB Brett Favre never missed a game starting for the Packers in 16 years. A truly remarkable record of durability for a NFL Quarter back.

Winterman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:
I believe that under the circumstances, i.e. questionable play calls and OL, Rodgers has done very well. It's a sure thing, in my mind at least, that the Packers have a fine QB for many years. He is talented and intelligent and capable of improving. Many other teams are not so blessed. Next year, much depends on Thompson getting help for him, on BOTH lines. He is the one that gives me the most confidence in the future.

I agree. Rodgers reminds me of a Steve Young, he is fast, intelligent, and throws accurately. This year we found he is tough. My biggest hang-up this year the poor angles the LB/S take on running plays.

Members online

Latest posts