Rodgers Contract

RedSoxExcel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has anyone even considered that Rodgers contract is up after two more years. A lot of people seem so convinced that the "prodigy" is THE future and we can't do anything to risk that. I think it is a pretty fair consensus that Favre is better than Rodgers in the immediate future because of experience alone. The kid is going to have growing pains regardless of him being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

One of the things I worry about is Rodgers playing well and in two years wanting to bolt to somewhere like California because he doesn't like playing in GB. I think if Favre tells them he wants to come back and they decide to release Favre, they should sign Rodgers to an extension or something (as insane as that sounds given he hasn't started an NFL game yet).

Because if we discouraged Favre from coming back for another year or two and then this kid bolts in two years, I'm going to go nuts.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would be unwise for either party (Rodgers or the Packers) to seek a contract extension before Rodgers has had a year to show what he can or cannot do. But I'm not too worried about him bolting for another team if he is good. NFL teams almost always take care of franchise QB's. You don't see them moving around much when they are in their prime. The only exception would be if Brohm also looked really good. Then the Packers would have a Brees-Rivers situation, and the Packers might then allow Rodgers to go elsewhere if he wanted to.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it depends on the development of Brohm. A lot can happen in 2 years - maybe we will be having a different discussion where we hope ARod will fly the coupe.

Hey wont Vick be out of prison by then? lol j/k

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot can happen in two years, and even more in three. We have three. It's unorthodox but we could franchise him in two years.

Even if Favre comes back for two more years, it's still possible to keep Rodgers and see what he does for a season before offering a long-term contract.

Or Favre could come back for one and then we extend Rodgers. Or Favre doesn't come back at all and we extend Rodgers. Or Favre doesn't come back and Brohm supplants Rodgers. Or both Rodgers and Brohm flame out and we start over by poaching a mature and much improved Grossman from the Bears. (Well, maybe not that one.)

I like Rodgers and if he proves it on the field the Packers will likely be able to keep him for a long time. If he plays in a substantial number of games before his contract expires, and he does well, he is very very unlikely to leave Green Bay IMO.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
A lot can happen in two years, and even more in three. We have three. It's unorthodox but we could franchise him in two years.

Even if Favre comes back for two more years, it's still possible to keep Rodgers and see what he does for a season before offering a long-term contract.

Or Favre could come back for one and then we extend Rodgers. Or Favre doesn't come back at all and we extend Rodgers. Or Favre doesn't come back and Brohm supplants Rodgers. Or both Rodgers and Brohm flame out and we start over by poaching a mature and much improved Grossman from the Bears. (Well, maybe not that one.)

I like Rodgers and if he proves it on the field the Packers will likely be able to keep him for a long time. If he plays in a substantial number of games before his contract expires, and he does well, he is very very unlikely to leave Green Bay IMO.

How many teams have franchised their starting QB? I can't think of any. That's because the top five QB salaries at any given time are very high, so if you're going to give a player that kind of money, you might as well give him a vote of confidence by negotiating a longer-term contract. The QB position is different from any other position. It's better to have a more solid bond between the QB and the team if the QB is good. It helps with stability all around.

I think the Packers need to know what Rodgers can do after his first season as starter. I don't think they will want him to go into the final season of his contract with his status up in the air. If that happens, and he plays well in that final year, they will find themselves in a bidding war, which is not where Ted Thompson wants to be.

johnny_blood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They definitely don't want all that to happen, for the reasons you cite.

Now, if Favre came back, those might be things they consider. This is an unusual situation so I'm thinking about all the options.

I totally agree with your post.

Latest posts