Rodgers Contract Situation

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the brink of Joe Flacco earning his big money payday which could be in the range of $20m+ per year with up to $40m in guarantees it got me thinking.

Rodgers > Flacco

Rodgers is likely to bargain he is better than Flacco and only one year older so he should be paid as such. A lot of you argue he will take a hometown discount with the Pack, but I don't agree. Players very rarely take discounts.

So let's say Rodgers and his agent David Dunn walk up to the bargaining table and demand a 5 year 115 million dollar contract with 50 million guaranteed. Do we pay him that? What is the max number you think Thompson would pay him? Are we actually really willing to let Aaron Rodgers walk?

Rodgers contract runs out after 2014 so this is all coming up really quick. This year would typically be the bargaining year to get an extension done. The Quarterback franchise tag would be about $15 million then, while the "Exclusive" tag could be up to $22 million.

Let me know what you guys think what could happen with Rodgers and his contract.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the brink of Joe Flacco earning his big money payday which could be in the range of $20m+ per year with up to $40m in guarantees it got me thinking.

Rodgers > Flacco

Rodgers is likely to bargain he is better than Flacco and only one year older so he should be paid as such. A lot of you argue he will take a hometown discount with the Pack, but I don't agree. Players very rarely take discounts.

So let's say Rodgers and his agent David Dunn walk up to the bargaining table and demand a 5 year 115 million dollar contract with 50 million guaranteed. Do we pay him that? What is the max number you think Thompson would pay him? Are we actually really willing to let Aaron Rodgers walk?

Rodgers contract runs out after 2014 so this is all coming up really quick. This year would typically be the bargaining year to get an extension done. The Quarterback franchise tag would be about $15 million then, while the "Exclusive" tag could be up to $22 million.

Let me know what you guys think what could happen with Rodgers and his contract.

You pay him. You want a 10 year contract so you can handle the cap number. Its going to be historic.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So whatever he asks for, you give to him? No matter the number? You don't think there's a "max" to this deal for GB.

Well of couse, but its more about structure than total $ in the headlines. I could draw up a 20 year 400 million dollar contract for Rodgers that he only would see 30 million of. Its completely about structure in todays salary cap era.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If we tag (we'll re-sign him way before that) it'll be exclusive. Teams will GLADLY give 2-3 1's for him.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say "yes" to just about whatever number he says. Then I would add contract years to his $ to even out the deal.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, they will not let Rodgers walk. If it really came down to it, they would tag him. He has 2 years left on his deal and they could actually tag him for an additional 3. Assume the QB tag is around $18M when Rodgers' deal runs out (it's $16.4 right now). He would get $18M in his first tagged year, $21.6M in his second, and $25.92M in his 3rd year (total value: 3 years/ $65.52M)

It will never get that ugly, but I'm just laying out a hypothetical. Right this minute, they can control Rodgers until he's 35 if they really want to, and there would not be much he could do about it.

Rodgers knows that, and he also knows he holds tremendous value to the team as their franchise QB. So a deal will get done, I would guess somewhere between $20-$22M a year, and it will be stretched out into a very long term deal.

10 years/$200M still sounds about right to me.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
No, they will not let Rodgers walk. If it really came down to it, they would tag him. He has 2 years left on his deal and they could actually tag him for an additional 3. Assume the QB tag is around $18M when Rodgers' deal runs out (it's $16.4 right now). He would get $18M in his first tagged year, $21.6M in his second, and $25.92M in his 3rd year (total value: 3 years/ $65.52M)

It will never get that ugly, but I'm just laying out a hypothetical. Right this minute, they can control Rodgers until he's 35 if they really want to, and there would not be much he could do about it.

Rodgers knows that, and he also knows he holds tremendous value to the team as their franchise QB. So a deal will get done, I would guess somewhere between $20-$22M a year, and it will be stretched out into a very long term deal.

I agree with most of your sentiment, however ... - I don't see TT shelling out a contract like the one Brees got (and the one I think Flacco will get) ... - Even 10 years / $200M I think perhaps will be a little too much for TT ...

I even see a scenario where the Packers might let Rodgers walk (after a few years under the franchise tag) if he gets "too greedy" ...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with most of your sentiment, however ... - I don't see TT shelling out a contract like the one Brees got (and the one I think Flacco will get) ... - Even 10 years / $200M I think perhaps will be a little too much for TT ...

I even see a scenario where the Packers might let Rodgers walk (after a few years under the franchise tag) if he gets "too greedy" ...

2 years of the franchise tag would be more damaging to the team than a 10 year contract

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Your franchise tag numbers are off. They would exclusive tag him. You are looking at around $23 mil the first year.

OP
OP
Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Is that spaced out evenly?

You're either paying Rodgers around 30 million a year in the heart of that contract or 20 million a year when he's 39/40?

M

mayo44

You have to remember one thing. Rodgers has said many times that the most important thing to him is winning. If that is, in fact, true, then he will not insist on a contract that hamstrings the organization and causes it to not be able to field a competitive team. We'll find out soon enough.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rogers will be signed before the draft, and get about the same numbers as Brees, maybe a few million (pocket change) more. No way TT will franchise him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to remember one thing. Rodgers has said many times that the most important thing to him is winning. If that is, in fact, true, then he will not insist on a contract that hamstrings the organization and causes it to not be able to field a competitive team. We'll find out soon enough.

Structure is so important. You can win with a big contract. The packers gave Favre the first $100 mil contract but that never seemed to prevent them from winning.

H

HardRightEdge

Brees vs. Rodgers - Part I

The signing bonus and guaranteed $'s are critical in these things. Years and total $ can be misleading, with performance incentives and option year gimmicks (see Vick). The devil is in the details.

As best I can tell, the richest, cleanest deal in the league right now is Brees 2012 contract. The only richer deal ever written might be Manning's last one with the Colts, but I don't have those details.

Brees last deal, from rotoworld:

"7/13/2012: Signed a five-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $40 million guaranteed -- a $37 million signing bonus and Brees' first-year base salary. Brees is eligible for annual $250,000 workout bonuses in years two through five. 2013: $9.75 million, 2014: $10.75 million, 2015: $18.75 million, 2016: $19.75 million, 2017: Free Agent"

rotworld has rolled off the 2012 base, but it's clear from these numbers it was $3 mil.

With the large signing bonus prorated over the 5 years for cap purposes, it's what they call "cap friendly". What this actually means is that it's cap friendly in the early years, and cap nasty in the out year. Here's the cap breakdown by year:

2012: $3.0 mil base + $7.4 mil signing bonus = $10.4 mil
2013: $9.75 mil base + $7.4 mil signing bonus + $0.25 mil workout bonus = $17.4 mil
2014: $10.75 mil base + $7.4 mil signing bonus + $0.25 mil workout bonus = $18.4 mil
2015: $18.75 mil base + $7.4 mil signing bonus + $0.25 mil workout bonus = $26.4 mil
2016: $19.75 mil base + $7.4 mil signing bonus + $0.25 mil workout bonus = $27.4 mil

The conventional wisdom on these kinds of deals is the last year will never be paid; perhaps not the last two years.

All the guaranteed money was already paid in 2012. There is no cash money to be paid out if he is released at any time going forward. However, un-prorated signing bonus $ hit the cap immediately in the year the player is release.

Brees just turned 34 years old. By the time he gets to 2015 he'll be 36. If his performance has dropped off, the Saint's will have 3 choices...(1) keep him and take the $26.4 mil cap hit (and pay $19 mil in cash money), (2) release him at take a $14.8 mil hit against the cap in 2015 or (3) renegotiate. This was roughly the kind of choice the Colts had with Manning, which they tried their hardest to not to make the no-brainer it was, given his age, injury status and holding the #1 pick.

Even if Brees is still playing lights out in 2015, it will have become increasingly hard to put enough decent players around him to get to the playoffs with that cap hit in 2016. The cap hit incurred by releasing him drops to $7.4 mil in 2016. That's better leverage for a renegotiation if he's still playing at a high level.

If the team sucks in any year in the 2013 - 2015 period, they get a high pick, and a franchise-potential QB is on the board, expect them to take him in preparation for 2015 or 2016.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your franchise tag numbers are off. They would exclusive tag him. You are looking at around $23 mil the first year.

Where are you getting those figures?

Brees' tag figure was $14.4M last year, and that was for exclusive rights. It's an average of the top 5 the first year. Brees hit $20M. No one has touched $23M, let alone have that be the average for the top 5. Any estimate is speculation right now, but $23M is out there. In 2 years it'll go up no doubt, but I'd be shocked if it got that high.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where are you getting those figures?

Brees' tag figure was $14.4M last year, and that was for exclusive rights. It's an average of the top 5 the first year. Brees hit $20M. No one has touched $23M, let alone have that be the average for the top 5. Any estimate is speculation right now, but $23M is out there. In 2 years it'll go up no doubt, but I'd be shocked if it got that high.

Well like you said you take the avg of the top 5, so lets do that for 2013

Tom Brady - $21.55 million
Matt stafford - $20.82 million
eli manning - $20.35 million
Peyton manning - $20 million
Big Ben - $19.6 million

Avg of $20.46 mil. So I don't think it's a jump to see reach 23 mil in 2 years. Either way $20 mil is crazy

H

HardRightEdge

http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/
Well like you said you take the avg of the top 5, so lets do that for 2013

Tom Brady - $21.55 million
Matt stafford - $20.82 million
eli manning - $20.35 million
Peyton manning - $20 million
Big Ben - $19.6 million

Avg of $20.46 mil. So I don't think it's a jump to see reach 23 mil in 2 years. Either way $20 mil is crazy

Under the new CBA, it's the average of the top 5 over the last 5 years.

I found this after about 10 seconds of googling:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ag-numbers-tentatively-set-2013-cap-near-121m

And I'm not sure where you got those player numbers from...they look awfully high. For example, Brady's deal in 2010 was for 5 years, $78.5 mil. That might seem low until you look at the $48.5 mil guaranteed, which is the significant number.

H

HardRightEdge

Brees vs. Rodgers - Part II

First, a note on Flaco. He might be looking for a clean, $20 mil per year deal, but he won't get it. He's not elite tier, despite the SB win...more like rising to second tier with Eli and Ben. $14 mil per year would be the top end I'd think, and that is probably generous. The agents need check their spreadsheets and tell these guys the cap has gone down since 2008, and there are 52 other players to pay. If he's stubborn about it, they can franchise him.

As for Rodgers, $20 mil per year is in line with Brees, and looks about right. It will probably be longer, maybe 7 years, taking Rodgers out to age 36.

The real issue is how it will be structured. As noted in Part I, a Rodger's deal structured like Brees' with the big signing bonus and low first year base salary would result in little or no increase in cap hit in 2013. It's a riskier, "win now" strategy because that big signing bonus prorated for cap purposes would make releasing an injured or declining Rodgers in the middle years of the contract prohibitive.

Since Packer management tends to be risk averse and longish term thinkers, a deal like Brady's last contract might be the way they'll try to go, if Rodgers will have it. Brady got a huge guarantee ($48.5 mil) but a relatively small signing bonus ($16 mil). The cap hit is fairly evenly spread across the contract, without a big prorated signing bonus overhang. If he fell down the stairs tomorrow and broke his neck they could release him with only a $6.4 mil cap hit...not trivial, but not a cap disaster. If it were Brees, it would be a $22.2 mil cap hit to release him...a different kettle of fish.

M

mayo44

Structure is so important. You can win with a big contract. The packers gave Favre the first $100 mil contract but that never seemed to prevent them from winning.

They didn't win many playoff games after that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://nflsfuture.com/2012/03/28/team-by-team-offensivedefensive-schemes/

Under the new CBA, it's the average of the top 5 over the last 5 years.

I found this after about 10 seconds of googling:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ag-numbers-tentatively-set-2013-cap-near-121m

And I'm not sure where you got those player numbers from...they look awfully high. For example, Brady's deal in 2010 was for 5 years, $78.5 mil. That might seem low until you look at the $48.5 mil guaranteed, which is the significant number.

Sigh...those aren't exclusive tags those are regular tags. We went over this already. Sometimes you have to actually know what you are googling to get the right answer bud.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...han-20-million-under-exclusive-franchise-tag/

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Ravens are smart, they'll use the non-exclusive tag on Flacco.

2 first rounders for Flacco? That's a pretty nice prize for being reluctant to give top 3 QB money to a QB that you know damn well isn't top 3.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If the Ravens are smart, they'll use the non-exclusive tag on Flacco.

2 first rounders for Flacco? That's a pretty nice prize for being reluctant to give top 3 QB money to a QB that you know damn well isn't top 3.
None of the QB in this years draft could replace Flacco. That's the rub

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
None of the QB in this years draft could replace Flacco. That's the rub

Yeah true...it's a tough sell to say you're going to have a rebuilding year in the year after you win the Super Bowl.

Long-term it would be in their best interests, but they're pretty much stuck with Flacco, which is tough for them because he's still not even a top 10 QB IMO. He just played well in the playoffs and won the Super Bowl at the exact right time.

Members online

Latest posts