Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1'

GnG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1'

By Kevin Seifert
Many of us presumed the Green Bay Packers were prepared to let receiver James Jones move on via free agency. I, for one, have been among those who wondered if the Packers would commit market-level money to a pass-catcher when Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson and Jermichael Finley will all be on the roster in 2011.

Well, none of us asked Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers.

Appearing Tuesday on ESPN 540 in Milwaukee, Rodgers lobbied for Jones' return in the strongest terms imaginable.

"James is extremely talented and he's a guy that I think we need to bring back without a doubt," Rodgers said. "He should be priority No. 1 and I mean that with all my heart. He really should be priority No. 1. We don't win the Super Bowl without him and we need him."

Asked about Jones' well-documented drops last season, Rodgers said: "Physical mistakes can happen. Yeah, it's frustrating, but James made a ton of big plays for us [last] season and I think his best football is in front of him."

Whoa.

General manager Ted Thompson doesn't typically consult with players on such matters and Rodgers admitted his job isn't to make such decisions. But when the Super Bowl MVP speaks up forcefully on a personnel issue, it's worth listening to. If nothing else, we know Rodgers will be quite disappointed if Jones moves on.

There are a number of high quality receivers available, and the market has yet to develop. It's possible the Packers could wind up with Jones at a bargain price. We'll see.

Rodgers calls James Jones 'priority No. 1' - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised by that. I just don't think we need to spend big money on a slot receiver and it would be better used on other areas. I guess they could keep Jones and part ways with Nelson when the time comes. I couldn't envision them giving three receivers long-term deals.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, though Jones had a lot of BAD drops, I am pretty sure he can work on those. AP got his fumbling problem sorted out. JJ can get his hands in shape to catch the football. Ultimately its going to be up to TT to make the call, and I would rather have his judgement's than ARod's.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rats. Seeing the title of this thread, I was hoping Rodgers said Jones was the number 1 priority to upgrade.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has said they came repeat with the guys in the locker room. Jones is part of that locker room.

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol.... what ever TT does will be the right decision.....
pay him or keep him....

either way

R. Cobb is gonna fit in well though... so IMHO.... adios 89

Ausnadian

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones's biggest issues are the fact his eyes light up when he sees an empty field in front of him, instead of concentrating on the catch he already thinks TD, and I am not sure you can beat that outta him. I would be sad if we wasted much cap room on him. Fine as a 3rd WR but not 1st or 2nd money, which someone else will pay him.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing anyone that wants to keep James Jones in GB has going for them is the fact that there a few as good if not better free agent WR's out there this year. That being said if the other guys get scooped up early we might be able to keep JJ here on a bit smaller contract.

Future

He did WHAT?
Reaction score
The only thing anyone that wants to keep James Jones in GB has going for them is the fact that there a few as good if not better free agent WR's out there this year. That being said if the other guys get scooped up early we might be able to keep JJ here on a bit smaller contract.

This is definitely what I am hoping for. Jones has so much talent and I believe people are writing him off too quickly after we drafted Cobb. It usually takes until a WR's third year for him to really grasp the position. Plus, it's not as if Jones hasn't had any production. 700 yards for your 3rd WR is pretty solid.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not trying to criticize Jones. I think he's a good WR and could be a #2 on many teams. Heck, he'd be a #1 on Chicago with some improvement on concentration.

But we already have three solid wide receivers. They also use Finley in slot formations and will still need to make room for Cobb to get some plays in.

Receiver is one of the deepest positions in the NFL and therefore can be replaced easier. I'd also say that Aaron Rodgers can make most receivers look better than they are if they're willing to work and not slouch off. We already have our go-to guy (Jennings) and Nelson is a fine #2. They don't need to break bank on too many receivers with guys like Clay Matthews, B.J. Raji, and Josh Sitton coming up.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I read this as AR is saying it for his guy. You know, standing up for JJ. This isn't a statement to TT. What's he supposed to say? Get rid of the bum? AR is a leader on the team and has to speak up for his teamates.
That being said, I'd love for him to stay, but at a realistic dollar is all. If someone is going to pay him #1 WR money you gotta pat him on the back, thank him for his services and wish him luck.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's gone. We have a roster full of stars, paying him big money will hurt in long term down the road. Pretty sure TT is considering that.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate when players comment on what the GM does. When his business card says general manager he can speak like a general manager. Didnt he learn anything from the idiot we had before him that tried to play GM?

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Yeah, as much as I love Rodgers, I completely dislike when players comment on personnel decisions. Jones needs to go. Drafting Cobb means he's done. Very small upside and butter fingers. Also he likes candy wayyyyyy to much.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read this as AR is saying it for his guy. You know, standing up for JJ. This isn't a statement to TT. What's he supposed to say? Get rid of the bum? AR is a leader on the team and has to speak up for his teamates.
That being said, I'd love for him to stay, but at a realistic dollar is all. If someone is going to pay him #1 WR money you gotta pat him on the back, thank him for his services and wish him luck.

you mean as opposed to someone like say...oh...i dunno...james harrison? there's a guy thats as bad as the delisiounal pittsburg fans that follow him. (looking for the steelers sux emoticon...oh well, i will use this one instead: :chisux:

Reaction score
I think everyone should be more fortunate that we have the opportunity to keep a decent receiver. He will be able to fix his dropping problem. You can't fix his size, speed, blocking ability, or chemistry with the rest of the team.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think everyone should be more fortunate that we have the opportunity to keep a decent receiver. He will be able to fix his dropping problem. You can't fix his size, speed, blocking ability, or chemistry with the rest of the team.

I'd agree that he has the natural build and talent level to be a good WR in the NFL but after a few years of making the mental mistakes over and over what makes you think he will magically remedy the problem?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You cannot teach hands, and JJ doesn't have a good set of em.
He has good hands, he's able to catch the ball easily outside his body. But he doesn't have good concentration. He drops easy passes, but makes incredibly difficult ones, like the TD against the Eagles and the one against the Falcons, 2 very difficult ones.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has good hands, he's able to catch the ball easily outside his body. But he doesn't have good concentration. He drops easy passes, but makes incredibly difficult ones, like the TD against the Eagles and the one against the Falcons, 2 very difficult ones.

He drops it from everywhere, you cannot blame that solely on concentration. He doesn't and never will have good hands.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
It's concentration for certain. When I'm at the range with a rifle I'm an expert. When I'm hunting deer with a rifle I never miss.
However, when shooting clays I'm a 20 or 21 shooter. But hunting birds I rarely miss.
The problem is, even if you recognize that, it's hard to change, I've been shooting this way for years.
JJ is a helluvva lot younger than me, but habits are hard to break. I wish him well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts