Robert Ferguson gets treated better than Favre?

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Packers fan first, a Brett Favre fan second, and a NFL fan third. What the Packers organization is threatening to do to Favre is not good for Green Bay’s image, cruel to Favre, and horrific for the NFL.

I do not fault Green Bay for not wanting Favre back. I do think it is bizarre that they are turning their back on their best player from the previous season (not to mention the best player in the storied history of the franchise). But I get that they do not want to alienate Aaron Rodgers, do not want to put on the shelf all of the tweaking they did to the offense (seriously, folks, do you think they changed things that much?), and also want to groom Brian Bohm.

It does not make sense to carry Favre on the roster as a backup. That only would increase the pressure on and scrutiny of Rodgers, could divide the locker room, and would be bad cap management. And, unless Favre has fallen off dramatically in the past few months, it would be a plain lie—like when Al Davis refused to let Marcus Allen play just because he did not like him.

The honorable thing, the right thing, the sensible thing, would be for the Packers to simply release Favre and let him do whatever he wants to do. Over the past few years, the Packers have been classy and released veteran players who were no longer in the team’s plans at an early stage of the offseason so they could try to catch on with other teams. Think Robert Ferguson a year ago and Bubba Franks and Koren Robinson this past off season. They have allowed still productive players to leave in free agency that they did not want to afford. Think Darren Sharper, Mike Wahle, Ryan Longwell and Ahman Green. They released injured players who they did not think could play, even though the players themselves still wanted to pursue their careers. Think Robert Brooks, Terrence Murphy, and even Sterling Sharpe.

But they will not release Favre. The man who not only brought football greatness back to Green Bay, but who also helped generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the Wisconsin economy.

And why won’t they release him? Because they know he still CAN play. That even at 38, he is still the best player on the roster (if they would let him back on the roster). They know that if they allow him to play anywhere he wants, he might embarrass the team for letting him go, and perhaps even cost the team one or more victories by beating the Packers in a face-to-face meeting.

They would rather force him into a premature retirement by not welcoming him back and trying to stash him on the roster as a backup, or by trading him to a team he does not wish to play for with the hope that he will choose not to report and head back to Mississippi.

No matter what you think Favre’s wishy-washiness has done to the organization over the past few years, it SO pales in comparison to what he has given the franchise, the city, the state and the league that it is absurd to somehow think Favre is deserving of this unseemly game of hardball that Ted Thompson is playing.

I just cannot believe that the Packers would give more consideration to Robert Ferguson than Brett Favre.

It stinks.

Favre deserves better. The NFL deserves better. All NFL fans deserve better.

You people in Green Bay should not let this happen. If the Packers insist on putting Favre in roster jail, you should picket Lambeau Field. You should demonstrate. You should call the front office.

If I lived there I would do it.

Go ahead and move on into the future with Aaron Rodgers, if you really want to. But let Brett play. Wherever he wants.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really want to see Aaron play, still I would really like to see Brett Favre back in Green Bay. I also agree that it is not right to put Favre on the bench. I love Brett and would like to see him play, but Aaron Rodgers is the quarterback and I think he deserves his chance to start.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for your first post Mr. Bus Cook

Love the member sign on name. "Truman"

You must have chose it from one of your favorite Truman quotes.

"Fame is only good for one thing - they will cash your check in a small town."
--- Truman Capote ---

Arles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps if Favre would have accepted their offer to return in March/April, he would be the starter now. But, by waiting until July, the team didn't have much of a choice. I think Favre will either stay retired (something he may have done had GB rolled out the red carpet for him again in July) or get traded to an AFC team like Baltimore.

The reason Fergie got released was the same reason the team released Koren this year - they had no value. If Favre had no value, they would have released him back in March. But, in the NFL, no one ever released a player with high value as a "favor". If you can name me one team to do that, I will be impressed.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should bring him back as either a back up QB, as a QB who would not start every game so AR could get about 6 games under his belt or trade him to a team like the Dolphins or the Falcons.

Yes he gave a lot to the game and to the Packers but at the monent he is basically slapping all the fans that stuck with him even when we didn't have such great seasons in the face. Sorry but no player is greater than the team or it's fans. He is special and I will always cherrish watching him but the Packers come first.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Thanks for your first post Mr. Bus Cook

Love the member sign on name. "Truman"

You must have chose it from one of your favorite Truman quotes.

"Fame is only good for one thing - they will cash your check in a small town."
--- Truman Capote ---

Wow you're on fire.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Packers fan first, a Brett Favre fan second, and a NFL fan third. What the Packers organization is threatening to do to Favre is not good for Green Bay’s image, cruel to Favre, and horrific for the NFL.

I do not fault Green Bay for not wanting Favre back. I do think it is bizarre that they are turning their back on their best player from the previous season (not to mention the best player in the storied history of the franchise). But I get that they do not want to alienate Aaron Rodgers, do not want to put on the shelf all of the tweaking they did to the offense (seriously, folks, do you think they changed things that much?), and also want to groom Brian Bohm.

It does not make sense to carry Favre on the roster as a backup. That only would increase the pressure on and scrutiny of Rodgers, could divide the locker room, and would be bad cap management. And, unless Favre has fallen off dramatically in the past few months, it would be a plain lie—like when Al Davis refused to let Marcus Allen play just because he did not like him.

The honorable thing, the right thing, the sensible thing, would be for the Packers to simply release Favre and let him do whatever he wants to do. Over the past few years, the Packers have been classy and released veteran players who were no longer in the team’s plans at an early stage of the offseason so they could try to catch on with other teams. Think Robert Ferguson a year ago and Bubba Franks and Koren Robinson this past off season. They have allowed still productive players to leave in free agency that they did not want to afford. Think Darren Sharper, Mike Wahle, Ryan Longwell and Ahman Green. They released injured players who they did not think could play, even though the players themselves still wanted to pursue their careers. Think Robert Brooks, Terrence Murphy, and even Sterling Sharpe.

But they will not release Favre. The man who not only brought football greatness back to Green Bay, but who also helped generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the Wisconsin economy.

And why won’t they release him? Because they know he still CAN play. That even at 38, he is still the best player on the roster (if they would let him back on the roster). They know that if they allow him to play anywhere he wants, he might embarrass the team for letting him go, and perhaps even cost the team one or more victories by beating the Packers in a face-to-face meeting.

They would rather force him into a premature retirement by not welcoming him back and trying to stash him on the roster as a backup, or by trading him to a team he does not wish to play for with the hope that he will choose not to report and head back to Mississippi.

No matter what you think Favre’s wishy-washiness has done to the organization over the past few years, it SO pales in comparison to what he has given the franchise, the city, the state and the league that it is absurd to somehow think Favre is deserving of this unseemly game of hardball that Ted Thompson is playing.

I just cannot believe that the Packers would give more consideration to Robert Ferguson than Brett Favre.

It stinks.

Favre deserves better. The NFL deserves better. All NFL fans deserve better.

You people in Green Bay should not let this happen. If the Packers insist on putting Favre in roster jail, you should picket Lambeau Field. You should demonstrate. You should call the front office.

If I lived there I would do it.

Go ahead and move on into the future with Aaron Rodgers, if you really want to. But let Brett play. Wherever he wants.

Bravo, Bravo.

Very well written my friend. I agree with you for the most part. Ignore the snide one-liners below your well thought out gem that have no point or substance other than to try to throw pie in your face. I hope you stick around this place.

OP
OP
T

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49ers released Jerry Rice. During his last year with SF, he still had value, catching 75 passes for seven touchdowns. The 49ers offered Rice $1 million to retire as a 49er, or a release. Rice took the release and signed with the cross-town rival Raiders (similar to a Favre to Minnesota scenario). Rice caught 83 passes for more than a thousand yards and nine touchdowns in his next year with the Raiders.

That is the first example that comes to mind.

Sure Favre has more value than Ferguson. Clearly I get that. But Favre also has earned special consideration. Do not underestimate the economic impact he has had. If not for Favre, there might not have been a Lambeau Field renovation.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He should have came back to Lambeau when TT and MM asked him too several times. Now he will have to deal with whatever the managment thinks is best for the franchise. That's just the way it is. This is a buisness like any other buisness. You don't just give away something that has value. It doesn't make sense. As for the Rice scenario...Do we really want to see Favre pass for 28 TDs for the Vikings? Hell no!

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ever since the Lambeau Field renovation, the Packers have been a worse team. Don't feed us that ********.

Jerry Rice went to the Raiders--that's a state rivalry--not an NFL rivalry. That has nothing to do with this situation.

Rodgers is injury prone and hasn't proved himself. And don't you forget--Brian Brohm is there too. If Rodgers isn't Favre's heir apparent, Brohm is.

Reaction score
Sure Favre has more value than Ferguson. Clearly I get that. But Favre also has earned special consideration. Do not underestimate the economic impact he has had. If not for Favre, there might not have been a Lambeau Field renovation.

Truman, I think your opinion that the Packers are "turning their back on Favre" is a biased opinion because as recent sources have confirmed (to more than one person), the Packers were ready to welcome back Favre to the team in April/March, only to have Farve tell them he'd changed his mind (yet again) and wanted to stay retired.

This team was ready to welcome back Favre, to hand him his starting job again, and he said "No thanks". You can't bend over backwards twice for a player, even one like Favre.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the whole "Favre said he was coming back in late March/early April, only to once again say he was retired for good.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Truman, I think your opinion that the Packers are "turning their back on Favre" is a biased opinion because as recent sources have confirmed (to more than one person), the Packers were ready to welcome back Favre to the team in April/March, only to have Farve tell them he'd changed his mind (yet again) and wanted to stay retired.

This team was ready to welcome back Favre, to hand him his starting job again, and he said "No thanks". You can't bend over backwards twice for a player, even one like Favre.

I'd be interested to hear your opinion on the whole "Favre said he was coming back in late March/early April, only to once again say he was retired for good.

C'mon now it was reported by a Media person. Why is thier any more validity to this one than the one that stated Ted moved on THE MOMENT Favre retired?

OP
OP
T

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear, my greatest desire is that Favre start for the Packers against the Vikings. If the Packers do not want that, I want to see him play somewhere, because he is still the most entertaining player to watch in the NFL. And because of all the enjoyment he has given us, I would like him to be able to play where he would have the most fun, given that his first choice (the Packers) turned him away.

As for the Lambeau Renovation, sure the team has not been as dominant as before. But that is a side issue. The renovation has fueled the Packers revenues, and allowed this small market team to continue competing against the likes of New England, Washington and Dallas. Without that renovation, the Packers would not be financially competitive.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will someone please answer the following question? By Brett retiring, what exactly did the Packers have to do differently in OTA's that Brett didn't even attend last year? Flynn?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will someone please answer the following question? By Brett retiring, what exactly did the Packers have to do differently in OTA's that Brett didn't even attend last year? Flynn?

I think it was last year Rodgers taught Favre the new playbook.

That's right.

OP
OP
T

Truman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Jay Glazer story about a flip/flop in late March or April is troubling. I would like to hear Favre's side of the story. Favre appears to be telling his story through Chris Mortensen and Peter King, while the Packers are talking through Glazer.

As I stated in the original post, I understand the team wanting to move on. I wish they would still have him back, because he probably still is the best player on the team, and certainly the most impactful. But if they feel betrayed and want to move ahead with Rodgers, fine. Just don't punish Brett in the process. Let him go. There is no sense in spending $12 million on a backup, especially one who will make any previous quarterback controversy seem insignificant in comparison.

If I were Rodgers, I would be on the phone with Ted and Mike begging them to let Favre go. Rodgers has been a good citizen throughout this, and he does not deserve the pressure that the present stalemate will put on him.

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Truman said:

C'mon now it was reported by a Media person. Why is thier any more validity to this one than the one that stated Ted moved on THE MOMENT Favre retired?

Can you provide a link to the story about Ted moving on the moment Brett announced his retirement? I may have missed that one. If it is true I dosen't mean that he didn't try to bring him back when he said he was interested. Also... what did you expect Ted to do? Sit and hope Brett would change his mind again?

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Jay Glazer story about a flip/flop in late March or April is troubling. I would like to hear Favre's side of the story. Favre appears to be telling his story through Chris Mortensen and Peter King, while the Packers are talking through Glazer.

As I stated in the original post, I understand the team wanting to move on. I wish they would still have him back, because he probably still is the best player on the team, and certainly the most impactful. But if they feel betrayed and want to move ahead with Rodgers, fine. Just don't punish Brett in the process. Let him go. There is no sense in spending $12 million on a backup, especially one who will make any previous quarterback controversy seem insignificant in comparison.

If I were Rodgers, I would be on the phone with Ted and Mike begging them to let Favre go. Rodgers has been a good citizen throughout this, and he does not deserve the pressure that the present stalemate will put on him.

I can't see a buisness just giving away a valuable asset. It doesn't make sense for the buisness. If they trade him then both win. Packers get something and Brett get's to play. Win, Win.

dd80forever

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Correct, lots of stories coming from all angles. But hey, don't let that stop them. If Jay Glazier reports that Ted Thompson couldn't figure out how to work his Microwave tomorrow he will be the biggest idiot, and most unreliable source in the world.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would not be so quick to assume that the Packers are playing "hardball" with Favre. For now, they have chosen not to make any rash decisions. We'll see how this plays out over the next couple weeks.

As Arles pointed out, the Ferguson comparison is irrelevant.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I would not be so quick to assume that the Packers are playing "hardball" with Favre. For now, they have chosen not to make any rash decisions. We'll see how this plays out over the next couple weeks.

As Arles pointed out, the Ferguson comparison is irrelevant.

Change weeks to days

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion is that the Packers were willing to let Favre come back, and he changed his mind........again. I think they are tired of the "will he, won't he" game.
What if he came in for camp for a week, and decided to change his mind.....again? Where would that leave the Packers? And then what about next season? We have had to hold our collective breaths for 3 years now, wondering each off season if he was gonna pull the plug. Now, when i least expected him to do it, he did it........twice. So how do you plan a season, not knowing if he might do it again?
Thats how i see it at least.

Members online

Latest posts