Rex Grossman replaced..

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griese to replace Grossman at QB for Bears

NFL.com Wire Reports

The NFL Network's Adam Schefter has confirmed that Brian Griese will start at quarterback Sunday for the Chicago Bears.

Griese will replace Rex Grossman, who threw three interceptions as the Chicago Bears fell to the Dallas Cowboys 34-10 on Sunday night and did not get a vote of confidence from his coach a day later.

"Will Rex Grossman start Sunday?" coach Lovie Smith asked on Monday, repeating the question. "Well, our evaluation process is going on right now, and if you come out to practice Wednesday, you'll have a better idea of who will be starting at all positions."

Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images
Rex Grossman's struggles have lead the Bears to turn to Brian Griese.

Smith gave his usual answer when asked Sunday night about Grossman -- "Rex Grossman is our quarterback" -- but his tone was different on Monday, fueling speculation Brian Griese might start Sunday against Detroit.

Grossman's supporters would have a hard time arguing against the move, considering he ranks 23rd in the league with 500 yards, has a 45.2 passer rating and is 47-of-89 (52.8 percent) with a league-leading six interceptions and just one touchdown.

But is Griese the answer?

A Pro Bowl pick with Denver in 2000, he has passed for 16,564 yards, but has also been released three times -- by the Broncos, Miami and Tampa Bay.

"I have confidence in our entire football team," Smith said. "Brian is a part of that. After you have a loss like that, we all feel bad. We should."

And Smith realizes something needs to change -- quickly.

At 1-2, the Bears are certainly not living up to those soaring expectations after last season's Super Bowl appearance. Besides Grossman's struggles, injuries are mounting.

They lost former Pro Bowl safety Mike Brown and starting nose tackle Dusty Dvoracek to season-ending knee injuries in the opener at San Diego. And on Sunday, Bears were falling like dominoes.

Linebacker Lance Briggs (groin), cornerback Nathan Vasher (groin) and defensive tackle Tommie Harris (knee) all left the game with injuries. Offensive lineman Ruben Brown suffered what was announced as a game-ending ankle injury, although he returned near the end.

"All of these injuries we're evaluating right now," Smith said. "I can't give you anything else."

As for the evaluation at quarterback, Grossman's troubles are well-documented and they explain why the Bears let him enter this season with an expiring contract rather than an extension.

He was the NFC Offensive Player of the Month last September. Now, he may not be the starting quarterback when September ends.

There certainly is blame to pass around, but the focus is on the quarterback.

The Bears were hoping Grossman would play the way he did the first five weeks last season and ditch the inconsistency he showed the rest of the way.

Well, he is more consistent.

The problem is "Bad Rex" keeps lining up behind center, and that's bad news for the Bears.

Smith stuck with Grossman last season, but that leash appears to be growing shorter with each pass into double or triple coverage; there were a few of those on Sunday night.

Like the one that Anthony Henry picked off early in the fourth quarter.

Dallas' Nick Folk had just kicked a 44-yard field goal when Grossman tried to hit Muhsin Muhammad in triple coverage. Henry intercepted and ran it back 28 yards for a touchdown that made it 27-10 and put away the Bears.

Grossman didn't get much help.

"All the way around the whole offense, it was one of those days where it seemed like we'd get something going and it'd fall back, and we just couldn't get anything going," wide receiver Bernard Berrian said.

Cedric Benson managed 46 yards after running for 101 the previous week in a 20-10 victory over Kansas City.

A wide-open Berrian dropped what might have been a 35-yard touchdown pass. And Muhammad seemed to stop on a deep route over the middle on the first play of the second quarter, resulting in an interception for Henry.

Smith called it "bad timing between the quarterback and receiver."

Although fans booed and chanted for Griese, teammates continued to support Grossman.

"Rex is my guy. Rex is my guy until the end," tight end Desmond Clark said. "He didn't have his greatest game (Sunday), but if you ask me Rex is my guy."

But for how much longer?

"We're talking a lot about Rex, and I guess we should," Smith said. "I would talk about our football team. I made a lot of mistakes yesterday. We all did. That was a team loss. ... You can't give a quarterback all the blame."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, you were right on top of that one Heather. This is the first I've heard of it. I have to admit, I was one of the minority who thought Rex would step up his game this season. Instead, he looks more awful than ever. Griese is the kind of QB who could work out okay for the Bears, at least if their defense continues to play well in spite of the injuries.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grossman benched. How will this affect the Packers

In preparation for the beleagered Bears?

This may be a bit early since they could end up reinstating his starter status after they lose to the Lions but I was looking forward to seeing what kind of redemption Grossman had planned for the Packers if any.

Personally I think Griese poses more of a problem for the Packers than Grossman.

Any thoughts?

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I said before, Griese is most likely just a temporary solution. I think they need to give Orton a shot. He's 23 years old and sitting 3rd string, what's the use of keeping him if you never play him. He can develop into a good quarterback.

°Jacob°

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grossman benched. How will this affect the Packers

yeah i just read this.... i'm not sure what it will do im not very familar with greasy....but we'll see... i think the thing lovey smith was tryin to do with grossman is leave him in a long time and thought he would get better by experience but i think it was just gettin too bad with grossman so he gotta put in greasy..

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lovie Smith:"Rex Grossman is our quarterback...........I put 50 cents in the newspaper machine, got no paper, and when i pushed the change return, only 25 cents came back. So I said, "Rex, get my quarterback!!!"

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries on Defense are as big a story as the QB. It may be to late without those horses...

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Griese will be coming in COLD...so...I dont expect much from him...but...a QB rating of at least 50 is better than grossman. On lthe other hand...he is a cagy veteran...so...I think he will manage the game and not let his play beat the bears...unlike Grossman...who was 2nd in the NFL in picks...

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Briggs, Vasher, R. Brown, T. Harris all listed as day-to-day.
A. Brown, Kreutz, Maynard, and Urlacher are listed as probable.

Detroit may have their way with us. Wouldn't it be ironic if the offense performed well and the D sucked it up?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries on Defense are as big a story as the QB. It may be to late without those horses...
Yeah,......but they still have plenty of the BACK end of horses on the team!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The key with the Bears is whether or not we can be effective offensively. There's not enough on offense from the Bears to really give Green Bay problems (unless they simply have a bad game). Plus, Manuel is gone so the play-action to Berrian from midfield wont' be automatic. Funny thing is when that happened (week 1 last year) I was screaming at the t.v. in the moments before the snap, "WATCH THE PLAY ACTION OVER THE TOP... BERRIAN IS A BURNER!"

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really don't see much difference to be honest. I think that if you stop the Bears running game, you stop their offense. With a running game, Griese could be effective more than Grossman but I'm not sure if Benson can cut it and our defense is strong enough to slow it down.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This is a packers forum.

The packers had 16 people on the injury report last week.

Injuries ain't excuses, bub.

NJPackFan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I agree with an earlier post. I don't think the Bear's offense is our main concern. I think it comes down to what our offense can do against their defense and containing them on ST, which I don't think will be too difficult.

I'm really looking for the running game to get going and if we can establish the run early against the Bears, we can beat them with the pass later on.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

One good thing about CHI making the move now is we'll get some (legitimate) film on him before they play each other.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The bad -- Griese is a better passer. He's more accurate and has a stronger arm.

The good -- Griese isn't as mobile. Our pass rush will have plenty of opportunities to get to him.

The key for GB then is how well our DL does at getting to the QB. The fatal weakness could be the screen pass and the key to stopping it is for our LBs to be ready.

Overall I think Rex is my favorite Bears' QB, because he sucks. Therefore I don't like the switch, but it definitely makes sense. Now I just hope that Griese struggles the way he did in other places.

GO PACK GO!!!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Grossman benched. How will this affect the Packers

remember week 17? we played Griese because most the Bears starters only played half the game. His stats were........

Griese 5 of 15, 124 yards, 1 td and 2 int
Grossman 2 of 12, 33 yards, 0 td and 3 int

im not worried about 1 or the other

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griese should be a better game manager than Grossman, and if they have a running game he can be effective.

But, neither has a big arm or are extremely mobile. They both seem kind of like middle of the road to below average QB's, however Grossman seems to have more give the game away in him than Griese.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:

This is a packers forum.

The packers had 16 people on the injury report last week.

Injuries ain't excuses, bub.

Of those 16, how many didnt play? It is one thing to be on the list. Another to not play. Hasnt Brady been on the injury report every game for the past 2 years? and not missed a game.

True, you need to have depth, but to think that you can play a game without half your starters and still be the same, I dont believe is realistic.

I am sure that when GB starts to lose starters, there will be discussion of it affecting things.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am sure that when GB starts to lose starters, there will be discussion of it affecting things.

Kinda like how Morency hasn't played 1 regular season snap yet and Greg Jennings is just now coming back?

Or how about having to go with a rookie Lb converted to FB cuz the STARTER who won the job from william henderson couldn't stay healthy?

Injuries happen. It shouldn't be so bad for your team. You lost GREAT players, now GOOD players can step in (thats if your depth is GOOD).

BearDown!

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And those are decent players, but are they the backbone of your offense? Harris and Lance are both former probowlers. Harris' backup, Dvoracek, is already out with a season ending knee injury. Both starting corners are injured and Archuleta has a broken hand. Mike Brown, the other Bears safety is out with a knee injury. That means two backups at safety, two backups playing at corner, a rookie playing LB. To cap it off, two injuries at an already weak offensive line.

Sorry, I see no connection.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
BearDown! said:
And those are decent players, but are they the backbone of your offense? Harris and Lance are both former probowlers. Harris' backup, Dvoracek, is already out with a season ending knee injury. Both starting corners are injured and Archuleta has a broken hand. Mike Brown, the other Bears safety is out with a knee injury. That means two backups at safety, two backups playing at corner, a rookie playing LB. To cap it off, two injuries at an already weak offensive line.

Sorry, I see no connection.

Welcome to the packers of 2005

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think its too early to bench grossman, last year was his first full season and it was decent.

just my 2 cents.

Members online

Latest posts