Retiring Number Four

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett Favre goes thru with his scheme to play against the Packers for the Minnesota Vikings this season the Packers should move ahead to retire his Green Bay number at the Minnesota game at Lambeau in November. He's obviously not going to play for the Packers again and no one in Green Bay is going to be issued #4 so there's no need to wait for Favre to retire as a player for this occasion. They don't need Favre's consent for this. The Green & Gold No. 4 is the property of the Packers and the possession of the franchise and its fans. Just announce that it's going to take place on that date and it should be convenient since Favre and his family & entourage are all going to be in town for the game anyway. The program should celebrate & reflect Favre's great 16 year career in Green Bay but not be blind to his conduct toward the club and the fans these past 16 months either. Have the number retirment ceremony just before kickoff. I'd get retired club president Bob Harlan to emcee. Bring in the guys who brought FAvre to Green Bay and made him; Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Steve Mariucci on hand. Have some of his old Packers teammates present: His best buddies Frank Winters & Mark Chmura. His favorite receiver Antonio Freeman. Dorsey Levens & Edgar Bennett. Maybe Gilbert Brown and LeRoy Butler to represent the defensive side. For extra context have some of the great old Packers of yesteryear present as well: Bart STarr, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer & Fuzzy Thurston, Willie DAvis, DAve Robinson, Willie Wood. Favre can join them at midfield for the program or just watch it from the Minnesota sideline, as he wishes. Either way, he should feel foolish being at this event this way in the white and purple trimmed uniform of a Viking! Of course they'll tick off the record of Favre with the Packers. The all-time wins, consecutive starts, td passes, passing yards, etc., the 3 straight MVP/co-MVP seasons, Super Bowl XXXI, Pro Bowl selections, et.al. But with the emphasis that he accomplished all these things first and foremost with, as and for the GReen Bay Packers. On the big stadium video screen they can run a tribute to FAvre showing the great, defining and representative moments of his Packers career. Vintage highlight film of Favre making plays, thowing td's, celebrating with his Packers mates, interracting with his loyal Green Bay fans, played to the instrumental strains of "The Natural" and fading into "The Way We Were." Then, as a burst of fireworks erupts in the sky over Lambeau, FAvre's name & number are unveiled on the hall of fame ring around the stadium, as the capacity crowd, a sea black No.4 mourning bands on their arms, explodes in one final cheer for Brett! The program concluded, all the Packers head to the Green Bay sideline while Favre walks alone to the Minnesota bench area. The video screen flickers to life again. As the sounds of the cantina band from STar Wars drifts across the stadium they play more film of FAvre. Favre vs. the Vikings. Favre throwing 4 picks in the home playff loss to them in '04. Favre getting picked 3 times in spoiling the home opener and Lambeau renovation dedication in '03. FAvre helping end the Packers 29 game home streak against Minnesota in '98. Favre limping to the sidelines after getting knocked out of games at the Metrodome in '94 & 95 while the Vikings celebrate their plays against him. A second string Viking db running back a FAvre int. for a td in that '06 game at Lambeau the Pack won on Mason Crosby's field goals. And as this strange and unnatural relationship between Favre and the Vikings gets thus exposed, Favre can ask himself who is friends really are and like Alec Guinness in the climactic scene in Bridge on the River Kwai can say,"What have I done?" Of course the Packers beat the Vikings in the game and pick off FAvre 3 times, running one back for a td.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting picture you have painted, but I think it would be more acceptable to wait until he's done for good to retire it.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should hang the #4 jersey, allright.
But instead of here:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It should be in here:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is the abject failure, (Mr 31-33) Thom P. Tedson behind this scheme?

He's a real loser.

sask_cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Favre plays for the Queens, it will cement in my mind the opinion that he should NEVER be allowed on the same field as great former players who actually had GREAT character such as Kramer and Starr.

acanofpan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Brett Favre goes thru with his scheme to play against the Packers for the Minnesota Vikings this season the Packers should move ahead to retire his Green Bay number at the Minnesota game at Lambeau in November. He's obviously not going to play for the Packers again and no one in Green Bay is going to be issued #4 so there's no need to wait for Favre to retire as a player for this occasion. They don't need Favre's consent for this. The Green & Gold No. 4 is the property of the Packers and the possession of the franchise and its fans. Just announce that it's going to take place on that date and it should be convenient since Favre and his family & entourage are all going to be in town for the game anyway. The program should celebrate & reflect Favre's great 16 year career in Green Bay but not be blind to his conduct toward the club and the fans these past 16 months either. Have the number retirment ceremony just before kickoff. I'd get retired club president Bob Harlan to emcee. Bring in the guys who brought FAvre to Green Bay and made him; Ron Wolf, Mike Holmgren, Steve Mariucci on hand. Have some of his old Packers teammates present: His best buddies Frank Winters & Mark Chmura. His favorite receiver Antonio Freeman. Dorsey Levens & Edgar Bennett. Maybe Gilbert Brown and LeRoy Butler to represent the defensive side. For extra context have some of the great old Packers of yesteryear present as well: Bart STarr, Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer & Fuzzy Thurston, Willie DAvis, DAve Robinson, Willie Wood. Favre can join them at midfield for the program or just watch it from the Minnesota sideline, as he wishes. Either way, he should feel foolish being at this event this way in the white and purple trimmed uniform of a Viking! Of course they'll tick off the record of Favre with the Packers. The all-time wins, consecutive starts, td passes, passing yards, etc., the 3 straight MVP/co-MVP seasons, Super Bowl XXXI, Pro Bowl selections, et.al. But with the emphasis that he accomplished all these things first and foremost with, as and for the GReen Bay Packers. On the big stadium video screen they can run a tribute to FAvre showing the great, defining and representative moments of his Packers career. Vintage highlight film of Favre making plays, thowing td's, celebrating with his Packers mates, interracting with his loyal Green Bay fans, played to the instrumental strains of "The Natural" and fading into "The Way We Were." Then, as a burst of fireworks erupts in the sky over Lambeau, FAvre's name & number are unveiled on the hall of fame ring around the stadium, as the capacity crowd, a sea black No.4 mourning bands on their arms, explodes in one final cheer for Brett! The program concluded, all the Packers head to the Green Bay sideline while Favre walks alone to the Minnesota bench area. The video screen flickers to life again. As the sounds of the cantina band from STar Wars drifts across the stadium they play more film of FAvre. Favre vs. the Vikings. Favre throwing 4 picks in the home playff loss to them in '04. Favre getting picked 3 times in spoiling the home opener and Lambeau renovation dedication in '03. FAvre helping end the Packers 29 game home streak against Minnesota in '98. Favre limping to the sidelines after getting knocked out of games at the Metrodome in '94 & 95 while the Vikings celebrate their plays against him. A second string Viking db running back a FAvre int. for a td in that '06 game at Lambeau the Pack won on Mason Crosby's field goals. And as this strange and unnatural relationship between Favre and the Vikings gets thus exposed, Favre can ask himself who is friends really are and like Alec Guinness in the climactic scene in Bridge on the River Kwai can say,"What have I done?" Of course the Packers beat the Vikings in the game and pick off FAvre 3 times, running one back for a td.

man you took the words right out of me mouth.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF Favre plays for the Queens, it will cement in my mind the opinion that he should NEVER be allowed on the same field as great former players who actually had GREAT character such as Kramer and Starr.

Oh, like Lombardi too, who left for Washington???

Please, people. Favre was underhandedly shown the door, and he didn't let them steal his thunder or his passion for the game. This is to be admired, not ridiculed.:frustrated:

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead I think they should wait and just let everything heal so in like 5 or 6 years we can recognize that it was him just wanting to play, no matter who it was for. Brett just loves football. Someday, we will appreciate what he has done. I am very sour about what he has done, but in 5 years, I will look back and say nothing can replace the fact he helped win the Super Bowl and had some wonderful years as a Packer. Just like any relationship, it takes time to heal. Favre and GB is no different.

Just my 2 cents.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Please, people. Favre was underhandedly shown the door, and he didn't let them steal his thunder or his passion for the game. This is to be admired, not ridiculed.:frustrated:
Yeah, compare Lombardi to Favre. And the queens to the redskins. Favre represents the sae thing for the Packers as Lombardi does. And clearly, there's no bigger rivalry than Packers x Redskins. Where have I heard that before? Wait, why don't you use the Kmart Wallmart comparison, that's plausible...

Why do you think there weren't discussions about if the packers should or shouldn't retire his jersey (there were discussions about WHEN, but it was guaranteed) when he went to the Jets? And now there is?

Eclipse612

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's nasty! It really made me laugh! :)

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The kind of foolish balogna that hastened your departure from footballsfuture.com, no doubt.

"Underhandedly" shown the door? How so? The team was ready to move on, Favre wasn't. Favre retired, the team moved on. Favre unretired and the team had still moved on.

If Favre was shown the door, it was for one reason: The Packers felt they were a better team without him than they would be with him.

The comparison with Lombardi is utter nonsense and you've had it explained to you many times before yet you continue to say it, as though if you say it enough it makes it true.

Pathetic.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Uh huh..

Vince retired as coach but stayed as GM for one year, then decided he wanted to coach again..

The only real comparison is that the Packers didn't take Vince back either

Any real proof that Brett was shown the door?

I got proof he was asked to come back, got proof he was told they would make adjustments for him to ease his work load..

But yet they pushed him out?????????

Recall Tom Silversteisn Ted T time line that was published in the paper?

Well on Bretts official message board,his pilot and business partner commented on it..

The black type is from Toms timeline..

The red is what his pilot said came directly from Brett himself..

In there no where does it say that Mike M lied about lessening the workload, so to me that tells me they were trying to help him..

* Feb. 29 - Favre calls McCarthy and tells him if he had to make a decision now, he would retire, after being pressed 4 a decision by the end of February. McCarthy tells him to think about it over the weekend and both Thompson and McCarthy, despite Favre explicitly telling McCarthy that being forced to make a decision now will lead to retirement, think Favre will play.

"Mike talked to him about, 'Well, what if we change (reduce) some reps or off-season things' and things like that and he was pretty sure that he wanted to retire." Favre reiterates that if a decision needs to be made by the end of February, he will retire. Nothing is said by McCarthy that indicates that Favre has time beyond March 1st to make his decision. Packers President, Mark Murphy, at a public speaking function, indicates that Favre will announce his decision to return by the end of February.. Such announcement lends further credence to Favre's belief that the organization is pushing 4 an early decision because they know what that decision must be.

That to me isnt being underhanded...That is saying look we will help you, but we need to know NOW

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In all seriousness, and on topic, there is no great hurry to retire Favre's number. Paul Hornung's wasn't retired for 20 years and was even worn by other players; Jim Taylor's number is being worn by Al Harris, Willie Davis' number by Jordy Nelson, Willie Wood's by Jarret Bush.

If it were up to me, I'd "unofficially" retire the number and just not issue it to anybody for a while. We'll see what the future holds and if there's some type of amicable reconciliation or not.

Personally, when I look at those retired jerseys....Nitschke, Starr, White, Hutson, Canadeo....I honestly and truthfully don't think Favre belongs in their company. These guys bled Green and Gold and it's clear that Favre doesn't.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The sooner the Packers "exorcise" the ghost of Favre the better for the team. Favre was a distraction at this time last year and here he is a distraction again even if the interminable questions are how do the Packers feel about Favre in Minnesota.
Retiring the number means "closure" on the Favre era in Green Bay. Favre may continue to play elsewhere but retiring the number is the club's and the fans way of saying,"We don't care anymore. We've moved on."
If Mr. Faver wants to stick his **** in our face by joining up with the Queens, a little lefthanded compliment to him on his visit to Lambeau in November seems to me entirely appropo.

D.Levens

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You will never get beyond Favre....

Thom P. Tedson (or Mr. 31-33, as he's known) will crash and burn with A-*** at the helm, and in a few years you'll look back on the Favre years like we used to look back on the Lombardi years before Favre came to Green Bay...

Face it Packer fans, you're back on that long slide back into the abyss of obscurity....haha..for backing TT, the loser!!!

:jester:

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may well feel that way Levens, but I do not. When I look back at the Lombardi Era, I recall an era of excellence where the Packers became the standard for professional football.

The Favre Era does not evoke the same sentiment because I view the last decade as a vast wasteland of blown opportunities and error-riddled performances in big games.

I'll always be thankful for the role he played (along with many others) in winning the 1996 season Super Bowl, but that doesn't mean that he should be given a pass in perpetuity for subsequent poor play in the playoffs.

As regards Packerlifer's sentiment that we need to have closure as soon as possible, I'd agree but it takes two to tango and God only knows when Favre is going to make reconciliation possible.

I know that Lambeau never reconciled with the brass and the field was named after him only after he died.

Until there is a suitable environment for closure, I don't see any purpose in trying to rush into anything.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You will never get beyond Favre....

Thom P. Tedson (or Mr. 31-33, as he's known) will crash and burn with A-*** at the helm, and in a few years you'll look back on the Favre years like we used to look back on the Lombardi years before Favre came to Green Bay...

Face it Packer fans, you're back on that long slide back into the abyss of obscurity....haha..for backing TT, the loser!!!

:jester:
Thom P. Tedson is a response to the Brent usage? Maybe you should start using the numeral "4" in place of the preposition "for", like Brent's driver does...
And more important, when you say Packer fans, is it because you don't consider yourself one? Cause it sound like it, like you're against the world...

Schmitty327

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I defenatly think they should wait to retire #4. A lot of Packer fans are sour at Brett for wanting to and possibly going to MN. I am not as much. Of course I cant wish him the best if he does go to MN because we need to win this division but if it were any other team not in our divison I would. Why not keep playing if you are wanted. Once its done its gone forever. Packers fans will come around after Favre is done playing football and this event should be special for Packer fans. Wait till its all over then retire #4.

shiftysdad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, all the people saying 4 shouldn't be retired.

You Have to realize how much he did for the team.

Of his many years of football, he only spent (up to date) sopmething like 2 years outside of Green Bay. That's pretty committed.

He was also a great QB. I'd like to think he's the Babe Ruth of football (lots of touchdowns, lots of Int.)

So yes, I think he belongs up there, regardless of if he's done a couple odd things in the past couple years.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay should definitely retire # 4, the guy did so much for the organization.

Members online

Latest posts