Retiring Favre's #4

Reaction score
Similarly, normal Packer fans do not harbor the bitter hatred of the minority who post about it incessantly on the internet. The Favre Haters are like a cult; they camp in front of their computers constantly, spewing hatred, and posting meaningless, inane little snipes about Favre (“uh, duh, Favre hit on a sideline hostess . . .”).

Legitimate Packer fans have moved on from the fact that Ted Thompson forced Favre out of Green Bay in one of the most infamous acts in Packer history. Legitimate Packer fans support the Pack AND Favre. And they will support him when his number is retired and when he is welcomed back to Lambeau on other occasions as well.

This is a pile of crap! The majority of Packer fans were pissed about Favre's actions the last few years. I think the majority of fans realize that most of this garbage was Bretts doing. How long should a team constantly have to wait for him to give a decision about playing? So they didn't kiss Lord Favre's butt every day and HE decided to retire. So the Packers moved on. How many are questioning if Rodgers was ready to play? I think most of us can admit that the Packers were right to move on!

I have no problem with Favre playing with the Jets. The issue I and I think most Packer fans have with him was his retiring and un-retiring so he could go play for the Vikes. The "I want to stick it to Ted" comment and the "Go beat the Packers" comment to Peppers last year showed his true feelings. If Brett truly wants to rejoin the Packer family I believe he owes us Packer fans a heartfelt apology. Until that happens I never want to see his number retired or his name on the Ring of HONOR. Now I'm sure eventually the Packers will retire his number and may put his name up on the ring. I for one will not be cheering him on that day!!!

gbforever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not another bf thread :/

Attachments

• snail.jpg
    snail.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 271

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Can I toss another name out there? How about the Packers all-time leading scorer? Ryan Shankwell. He too explored the joys of free agency and visited ONE team and signed immediately -- started talking **** right out of the blocks too, disrespecting the City of Green Bay in his first darned interview.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I was thinking..Shankwell...Shankwell... hmmmm........:fool:.. Then it hit me!!!
:D I dubbed him..Ryan-So-longwell

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its very possible nothing at all is done. Brett has to want to come back and kiss *ss, I cant see GB retiring a number for a player that doesnt show up. Or changes his mind if he wants to show up. So just leave it. Not retired, not issued. Or just move on and issue it.

I do wish someone in the organization had the balls to say what they think, that he doesnt deserve it. Retiring #4 is a disrespect to the great players and individuals that have had their numbers retired with the Packers. They were all class acts and made the Team and fans proud. They never stabbed the Packers in the back and were all about themselves. Im proud Reggie White, Don Hutson, Ray Nitschke, Tony Canadeo and Bart Starr were Packers. I am not proud that Brett Favre ever put on the Green and Gold.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Can I toss another name out there? How about the Packers all-time leading scorer? Ryan Shankwell. He too explored the joys of free agency and visited ONE team and signed immediately -- started talking **** right out of the blocks too, disrespecting the City of Green Bay in his first darned interview.
I find it funny how Packer fans remember history. Longwell was never offered a contract with the Packers. Ted didn't want to pay a kicker big bucks. BTW, he wasn't drafted by the Packers either. And as to the article, Favre didn't "sign" with the Jets, he was traded.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I think its very possible nothing at all is done. Brett has to want to come back and kiss *ss, I cant see GB retiring a number for a player that doesnt show up. Or changes his mind if he wants to show up. So just leave it. Not retired, not issued. Or just move on and issue it.

Good point. We're all ranting and raving about what to do about old "You Know Who" but have we thought about HIS wishes? Remember, it was pride in the first place that made him want to stick it to the Packers. Would his ego be able to handle a cold welcome by many fans? Indeed, he did endure the boo's when returning to Lambeau with the Vikings however, that was when he was still on a mission and thought he had a chance to twist the dagger.
Throw in the texting issue. He has to know that that would come up (no pun intended...well maybe) at some point if he returns.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish they would put the #4 retirement to a vote by fans. I sure as hell would vote no. Give #4 to the next FA punter they sign. Why honor a guy who:

1. wanted to stick it to the Packers by signing with the Vikings.
2. Called other teams to help them game plan against the Packers.
3. Was rooting for the Bears to beat the Packers and prevent them from going to the playoffs.

Screw him. He is a Viking now.

As I have said, they need to retire his jersey in a big ceremony, and when BF walks to the mike to speak, Ted jumps in front and says, "I changed my mind about retirement!". On cue the retired number falls from its place from the ring of honor. Pictures the next day show a huge "Favre #4" in a dumpster behind Lambeau.

Reaction score
I understand Favre fatigue so if you’ve had it up to “here” with the topic I understand. Skip this long rant. But I haven’t explained my view of him on this forum so here goes.

First, I for one don't hate Favre. I honestly don’t care enough about him to hate him. The Fredo analogy is apt: As a Packers fan, he’s dead to me: You don’t go against the family. No matter who you are or what you've done.

I think some fans are Favre fans first and Packers fans second – they were the ones that spewed venom at Ted Thompson and even a few at the “innocent” Rodgers. Not true Packers fans IMO. But there are also Packers fans who think all should be forgiven because Favre gave so much to the franchise. When I hear that, another analogy comes to mind. Now, this is ONLY an analogy. In no way am I saying the scope or importance of the betrayals is equal. Not even close. If you know American history, you know Benedict Arnold was a well-known hero of the American Revolution in the middle to late 1770’s. He participated in a lot of battles, earned the rank of Major General, and was a great patriot until he decided to betray his new country. So if you remind me he helped capture Fort Ticonderoga, I’ll certainly affirm he did. But don’t expect me to toast him on the Fourth of July. Same with Favre in the perspective of Packer fandom. Exciting and great player for about the first half of his career. For 3-4 seasons in the '90s Favre was not only the best QB in the NFL he was arguably the best player. The ironman streak was incredible: Earned a Pro Bowl berth no questions asked. But he betrayed our publically owned team. He did more than Longwell; he did more than just talk. He took action against us. Trying to help the Lions beat the Packers, conspiring to join the arch-rivals to the west, and cheering for the Packers’ defeat don’t equal planning to give West Point to the British. But in the perspective of Packers fandom, they’re all betrayals. One betrayal just on a much, much greater scale.

One thing that differentiates me - and I'm sure some of you - from the Packers fans I describe above is, I was ready to move on from Favre in 2008. I was convinced Favre couldn’t lead the team to a Super Bowl because he just wasn’t careful enough with the ball to win consecutive playoff games. For about the last half of Favre’s Packers career my feelings toward him can be summed up with the phrase, what could have been. At some point along the way, about when Holmgren left, IMO Favre became selfish and bought into the hype his acolytes so adoringly piled onto him. He avoided minicamps and OTAs. He had a private "locker room". As Favre mentioned in the Greta interview, in one of his first contacts with new GM Ted Thompson, he told Ted how to do his job. Imagine that from Thompson's point of view.

Of course no single player is responsible for everything that goes on during a game, but the six INT game against the Rams was an on-the-field indication of this IMO. Remember the powerhouse offense the Packers had in 2003? Their fantastic running game that season averaged 5 yards per carry. It and a defense that finished 11th in scoring should have been reason enough for Favre to play smart football and be careful with the ball. In the playoff game at Philadelphia, after mistakes made by Sherman on offense and the 4th and 26 embarrassment on defense, Favre trotted out onto the field in overtime with decent field position only needing to get into field goal range to continue the playoff run. Instead he threw up a punt-like pass unworthy of a rookie QB. The stupid carelessness of that “pass” at that critical time still dumbfounds me.

The next year ended when the Packers hosted the hated Vikings in the playoffs and Favre responded by throwing 4 INTs. I was waiting for Favre to play like the old vet QB he was, beating teams with his experience and veteran savvy and not just his rocket-arm. We all know the history: That player finally emerged in 2007. But at the end of that season he looked like he didn't want to play in the cold in Chicago or at home for the trip to SB. Again he trotted out onto the field in overtime with decent field position needing only a FG to earn a trip to the Super Bowl. With Ryan Grant wide open in the middle of the field, Favre gun-slinged another "amazing" pass and another playoff run ended.

So I was happy he was going to retire. After Rodgers outplayed Favre in Dallas in 2007 I thought he was ready and I was ready to move on to a more disciplined QB who would stick to McCarthy’s game plan and hopefully not meltdown in critical playoff moments. I never believed Favre was the franchise (or even Lombardi or Lambeau) or even the best Packers QB all time, for that matter. I certainly wasn’t a myth-believing, Favre-can-do-no-wrong acolyte who was sorry to see him retire. I was thinking, what could have been if he had played as disciplined in 2000-2006 as he did in the ’07 and ‘09 regular seasons. I thought it was too bad he hadn’t. Of course I never thought he would go to the lengths he did to betray the Packers and disgrace himself.

Favre will no doubt be honored by the Packers. But don’t expect me to toast to him on the Fourth of July or any other day.

Nicely said. I agree with EVERYTHING you said. I also thought Favre was done when he first retired. He didn't want anything to do with cold weather games anymore. You could see in the Bears game & the NFC Championship games that he was more interested in staying warm than actually winning the games. I was also convinced after the Dallas game tha we would be just fine with Rodgers leading the team going forward.

I was actually very happy when he first announced his retirement. I thought he was doing the right thing for once. I wasn't happy with his unretirement BS. His interview with Greta VS was disgraceful. When the Packers traded him to the Jets I really didn't give a crap. It was time to move on and it was obvious that he didn't want to play in GB anymore.

His total classless actions since are why I would never consider retiring his jersey or putting his name on the Ring. Calling the Lions and giving them info, weaseling his way out of NY so he could sign with the hated Vikings. His comment to Peppers last year to go beat the Packers was the last straw for me. Total sign of a traitor. Not to mention his off the field behavior. This guy made his bed. He ruined his legacy, he has become nothing more than a punchline now. Why should we show him respect and honor him at all? He needs to come crawling back to us and apologize for being such a tool before I'd even consider any accolades for him.

Now I know the Packers will probably eventually honor him but if I'm at that game I won't be cheering for him.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it funny how Packer fans remember history. Longwell was never offered a contract with the Packers. Ted didn't want to pay a kicker big bucks. BTW, he wasn't drafted by the Packers either. And as to the article, Favre didn't "sign" with the Jets, he was traded.

Pack and Ryan were in talks..But with a week left they stopped..

Ryan was always whining about the holders, the weather and the need to prolong his career in a warm weather place or a dome..

So while it would have been nice to sign him, he just wasnt going to stay no matter what...

That same year they offered adam vinatieri a contract worth more than what Ryan got..But he too wanted to prolong his career and singed with the Colts

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL@ this

Favre to play '06 season for Packers - NFL - ESPN

Favre, who had a roster bonus pushed back from March to July while he pondered his decision, has said that if he chose to play in 2006 that it would be his final season.

Favre said repeatedly after the 2005 season ended that he wasn't sure if he would come back to play a 16th season, saying he wasn't sure if he wanted to be part of what he saw as a possible long-term rebuilding effort.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
"I always said the calendar was working in our favor,'' Harlan said. "If he was going to [retire], he would have told us in January.''
(How many years ago?? How many times??? :haha: )

Sticking to Thompson's stated philosophy....
(This gave me a start there... I thought that was ironic choice of words!) LOL!!

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
ThxJackVainisi and The Real Pack Attack, I agree that was well said and I agree with each of you, in addition, and what really grated on me was the vacillating each off-season and the drama of "Should I? Shouldn't I?"
As to the latter years and his propensity at risk-taking, living here in Bear Country one of my most oft repeated replies to their trash talk was "Live by the Favre, die by the Favre," and unfortunately it was die by the Favre all too frequently.
That being said, it appears to be a given that the organization (at least as long as Murphy is around then) will retire #4. I just don't see him going back on his word now -- unless, of course Favre does something else incredibly stupid -- which is not out of the realm of possibility.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Peter King interviews Favre for SI, don't remember exactly when, early 2000's I take, and Favre said clearly that he would never play for any other franchise than Green Bay.

He even said that, if they didn't want him anymore, he would simply retire, rather than play for another team...

Yup he did...

But he has the right to change his mind..

Just as I have the right to change my mind..From going to loving him and never seeing a fault in him to realizing he did things I dont agree with

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup he did...

But he has the right to change his mind..

Just as I have the right to change my mind..From going to loving him and never seeing a fault in him to realizing he did things I dont agree with
A righteous person doesn't change his principles.
Words mean something for some people, for others not apparently.

I know it has already been discussed, but there are only 3 possibilities in that case.
1) He lied back then, he was just saying that to please fans.
2) He meant it, but he's not good for his word
3) He did mean it, and he does keeps his word, but his legacy with the Green Bay Packers simply didn't matter to him much, so to him, it was as simple as changing his mind about which shoes to wear.

Either way, it doesn't look good.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've posted this over at AcmePackingCompany, but posting in here as well:

Here's the real Favre:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Maybe the NFL's 1st troll, and certainly the one who lasted the longest.

His MO was to lead the teams to the playoffs just to throw backbreaking picks.

Instead of the typical U MAD? phrase following the trolling, he conducted press conferences where he cried and proclaimed to be retired, only to subsequently unretire, and keep the trollage.

When his first target, the Green Bay Packers, discovered the trolling, he moved to the NYJ and the MN Vikings, where he sucessfully trolled for 3 more years.

It seems unlikely that Favre will continue his career as a troll with another franchise, but with such high level trollage, anything is possible. Maybe this current break is, in fact, him trolling the entire NFL. Maybe he is the responsible for the work stoppage, and DeMaurice Smith and Roger Goodell are just other usernames he is utilizing right now…

Members online

Latest posts