Retiring Favre's #4

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If anyone frequents cheeseheadtv, I'm sorry for being repetitive, but I'll copy almost exactly what I said there in here, and I'm not gonna talk again about this subject, because it has been said too many times.

I think they should retire his jersey in the near future. Let that be clear.

Regarding the myth that Favre gave us a shot at winning the game every time he took the field, and that's why he should have his jersey retired:

The contrary also applies here. Every time he took the field, specially in a playoff game, he gave the other team a legitimate shot at winning. And more often than not he delivered.

That’s no reason to retire someone’s jersey.

Regardless if he gave them some hypotetical shot at winning, fact is he only brought one Lombardi in 16 seasons.

And the myth that really grinds my gears, that his jersey should be retired because Favre brought the Packers back to winning after a dark period:

This is so insanely meaningless, and wrong quite frankly. It wasn’t Favre that build the new team. It wasn’t him that adquired the players, assembled the coaching staff. It wasn’t him that rebuilt Lambeau. It was Bob Harlan, Ron Wolf and Mike Holmgren.

And even regarding wins and losses, I can make a much better case to where the Packers were before Reggie White came on board. Because it wasn’t until he was signed that we reached the playoffs, and it wasn’t until after he retired that we stopped being a dominant team, even with Favre at the helm.

-------------------------

Favre should have his number retired, but not because of the state of the franchise prior to him, or that he could win any game at any time.

It’s because of what he did and represented to the Packers while he was with the team. He was THE franchise for almost 2 decades. Not many people can say that for any other franchise in sports, and, coupled with all his achievements, merits his jersey to be retired.

The only people that represented more to the Packers than Favre were Lombardi and Lambeau, and even that's debatable.

For so long, longer than anyone in almost any other sport, Favre was the Packers and the Packers were Favre.

And IMHO that's what matters most when having a number retired. Not quality of play, because Favre was nowhere near the best QB to play for the Packers. Not achievements, because, again, he only won 1 SB. But what he meant to the franchise. And it's undeniable that he ment a lot.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it RS, I agree with you. Before he UN-retired for the first time, he was still worshiped and loved in the Packer community because of his many contributions. By the time he alienated everyone in Green Bay, he was no longer part of the team. Should he be judged on his accomplishments WITH the team or AFTER he was gone? I feel equally pissed about how he treated his Packer family. That's why I too think his number should be retired however, after a LONG LONG healing time which I think we deserve.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eventually, his number will be retired.. He will enter the HOF as a Packer, and The Jets and Viqueens will just be a sad footnote in his history. After all, Jim Taylor played for The Saints. But no one even remembers that and is just a side note in his HOF tribute.
But everyone will remember what's his name?, was a traitor playing for the Viqueens

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather hear about Murphys plan to retire #12 and #80.

Lets just skip the whole #4 thing, does Brett even care?

I am sure "Brent" cares...

I would issue #4 to the first rookie undrafted free agent punter to sign a contract...

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be a long time but it'll get done. He's done so much for us....good or bad. It's all memories but it's all worth remembering.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I don't have the blind hatred that many here in NE Wisconsin do for the guy. Still and the same, I believe that when he's put into the NFL Hall of Fame, his name should be put on the Ring. Do I think his number should join the 5 already there? No. I don't.

All recent history aside ... the man WANTED to join the Vikings ostensibly to 'stick it to Ted' and vicariously, stick it to the fans of the Packers as well.

The guy will one day be back in the proverbial fold, but, he burned a lot of bridges on the way out.

So be it. One day, the Packers will retire his jersey/number and he'll join some pretty exemplary Green Bay Packers in the North end zone....unfortunately.

Incidentally, Aaron Rodgers won the Super Bowl for the Green Bay Packers. He and #4 are now tied in that regard. Let's retire his number too.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Brett may have worn #4 ... but when all is said and done, he's #2 in my heart.

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love what the packers are doing. I am sure Favre still has an attachment to Green Bay. Look at all the great years he had and just because he wanted to keep playing the game that he loved, people turned their back on him? Favre is one of the top 5 Packers of all time(I think they ranked him at 3, but not sure)

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How long can a team wait on a QB to make a decision if he's playing or not til halfway through training camp? #1 Position on your football team and the guy is not accountable during important prep time...that is Favre's decision to do so...but I really think that attitude didn't sit well w/ Coaching Staff and Management...hey he had his chance to continue to play 3 more years following GB...he gave it his all, he is a historic player...but eventually all things must come to an end...even great things...it's a new Chapter now for GB and Favre is no longer the focal point in GB, it is the GB TEAM that is now the focal point as they enter a year as the 2nd youngest team in the NFL w/ a chance to make another run...all of that is possible thanks to the current Management, Coaching Staff, & present Roster.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know we loved Farve when he was here. We all stuck up for him when other fans made fun of him for making risky decisions or for some of his real bad games. I was a huge Farve fan. Then he betrayed us for the enemy. But time does heal wounds. He's like that son or daughter that just doesn't get it. They make mistakes and blame others for what happen. But in the end you still love them and welcome them home. That's what a majority of us will do when they retire his number. Not now but in a few years when everybody is healed.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very well written article as always, Miranda!!! :)

I don't like the way he did things, but that's just me. I wouldn't of done that (Vikings) but I'm not in Favre's shoes. When he was a Packer I cheered for him because I was cheering for the Packers. He has a long history with this team, some of it good, some of it not. If you consider the team as an extension of your family, you don't always get along with your family. Sometimes you fight. Sometimes you do things that don't make sense. Sometimes they betray you and you have a choice to forgive them or not. I'm no longer in the forgive stage. I'm more in the moving on stage. What is done is done and cannot be undone. I can't change it, I don't have to like it and I'm not spending any more energy on the past. This present team has more than earned my respect and loyalty 1,000 times over. Therefore, whatever beef I may of had with Favre, I'm casting away. I'm going to try and focus my time and energy on the present team and the awesome future I foresee for them. A future sans Favre and who no longer dwells in his shadow. The time of the old king is long since gone, a new king, a new team has taken it's place. Let us give to them our energy. Whatever negative energy that was associated with Favre, let us turn it into positive energy for our present team. The retiring of his jersey is symbolic. It merely represents a phase in our team's history that has passed. It represents an ending, a finality.. But to all things that end, presents the circle, a new phase begins. 2010 Superbowl Champs. It is reborn in you!

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once this fiasco is over and dies down considerably, his number will be retired. I'd say within 10 years of his real retirement.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiments that we should live in the present and focus on our current championship team. Why are we exhausting ourselves on Favre issues when we have so much to celebrate NOW. It's starting to irritate me when I think about how much energy we are wasting on BF and his selfish antics. Sure, he deserves some sort of recognition in the future but make him wait like other players. He's been out of our family for years now yet still is able to creep back into the spotlight. Yes, he was part of our family but I think of him more as an unfaithful X-husband than a wayward child. Don't let the door hit you in the *ss on your way out. You'll get your half of the property but when we're good and ready to give it to you. In the mean time, leave us alone.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Brett's # will be retired at some point, and I think that most of those in attendance will cheer, and hold back tears..He does deserve to have it retired...

Those that say no are wrong...

If only winning a Sb was reason to forgive someone, then Holmgren should have never been boo'd while still the coach

Those that say he deserves to be forgiven just cuz he won a SB 13 years ago, are wrong as well...That was 13 years ago, and since 99 he was not the same q/b at all, and in fact probably lost lot more games then he should have..

But it will take time and the SB win did help with some of the feelings..But even if they did it now, there will be more boo's then cheers..

It might be good till he gets into the HOF, that maybe long enough for all the bad feelings to be gone..And might have time for the Pack to win one or two more SB

And for those that dont know, he wont go in as a Viking a Jet or a Packer, but as a football player with the teams he played for..

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
He's been out of our family for years now yet still is able to creep back into the spotlight. Yes, he was part of our family but I think of him more as an unfaithful X-husband than a wayward child.

Too bad we can get a restraining order on this guy...stay at least 500 ft away, away from the spotlight for at least 10 yrs. ect.

Excellent article Melinda! My sentiments exactly!

mcoomer146

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers even mentioning retiring his #4 means they will protect the number from future wanna-be's that try to get it, before they officially retire it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When will the Packers 'welcome back' Favre? | National Football Post

Check this post from that article

The Favre haters are not unlike the dirtbag protesters who for months on end spewed irrational hatred toward governor Walker this past winter in Madison. They wailed and they whined. They vandalized and threatened. They threw tantrums and wet their pants.

And then the normal citizenry calmly voted these idiots down.

Similarly, normal Packer fans do not harbor the bitter hatred of the minority who post about it incessantly on the internet. The Favre Haters are like a cult; they camp in front of their computers constantly, spewing hatred, and posting meaningless, inane little snipes about Favre (“uh, duh, Favre hit on a sideline hostess . . .”).

Legitimate Packer fans have moved on from the fact that Ted Thompson forced Favre out of Green Bay in one of the most infamous acts in Packer history. Legitimate Packer fans support the Pack AND Favre. And they will support him when his number is retired and when he is welcomed back to Lambeau on other occasions as well.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vandalism? you mean the tape residue they left on the marble in the capital? Yeah that should have been a felony right there.

And Hatred in the minority? I would think if that was the case you wouldnt have heard boos everytime favre took a snap at lambeau.

Favre is a traitor. He is Fredo.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love what the packers are doing. I am sure Favre still has an attachment to Green Bay. Look at all the great years he had and just because he wanted to keep playing the game that he loved, people turned their back on him? Favre is one of the top 5 Packers of all time(I think they ranked him at 3, but not sure)

Dont forget Brett thinks his best years were in MN.

Top 4 Packers of all time?

Don Hutson
Bart Starr
Reggie White
Curly Lambeau

Favre might come in 5th in my book.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's over. People can spill out propaganda all they want, about how the "majority" always suported Favre, but it's over.

Nobody is fooling anybody anymore.

Favre's number will be retired, but he'll never be the hero he was. He will always be the one who defected to the enemy, no matter what happens. The hatred will diminish, but Packers fans will always be aware of his true feelings.

His number will be retired for what he did on the field, but he'll never be the symbol Starr and the others are. He will always be the man who chose revenge over loyalty.

There'll always be an asterisk besides his jersey.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts