Retiring #4 Jersey

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
All the way up throught the end of the 08 season i thought for sure the #4 jersey would be retired maybe not soon but eventually. Then he played for the viqueens (on purpose for revenge) and i thought ok maybe not officially retire it but just don't issue it for another 10 years or so (unofficially retire). But this past month or so i have completely changed my mind. Brett Favre and his family have been a**wipes towards us for no reason other than us wanting to start Rodgers and moving on due to him retiring and then changing his mind a few months later year after year.

Now i say screw it. Lets give the number out to whoever wants it.

Thoughts?

(I know and acknowledge there has been a thread on this but it is a year and a half old and i figured starting a new one would be alright)

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lol... What a load of crock this is.

The Packers retire the numbers of the teams all time greats. Brett Favre is not only one of the best Packers, but one of the best players the league has ever seen.

Of course his number should, and will be retired.

My guess is that when he enters the HoF, all these Packer fans with sandy vaginal cavities will all of a sudden feel better.

Time heals all wounds.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regardless of what he has done we have got to retire the number. I don't think there is much doubt that we will eventually. Give it a few years, and by the time Favre goes into the Hall of Fame Packers fans will, for the most part, have forgiven him. When it's all said and done he did many, many great things for the Packers and for the NFL. We tend to have short memories and only remember the recent events, which in this case would be his retirements and his tenure with the Vikings. But no one will ever remember him as a Viking, they will remember him as a Packer, as they should.

Remember, without him there is no Super Bowl title in '96.

Pegger Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that it will inevitably happen, but probably not for another 5 years... once he's in the Hall Of Fame...

The ironic part would be that if he had stayed retired in 2008, he would likely only be 2 more years away from the hall of fame, right?

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I think that it will inevitably happen, but probably not for another 5 years... once he's in the Hall Of Fame...

The ironic part would be that if he had stayed retired in 2008, he would likely only be 2 more years away from the hall of fame, right?

he stay retired anytime before he joined the vikings he would be a lock for a retired jersey and close to being in the hall of fame

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
he stay retired anytime before he joined the vikings he would be a lock for a retired jersey and close to being in the hall of fame

Close? He has been a lock for the HoF for years. And one lousy season on a TERRIBLE Vikings team isn't changing that.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
kinda like how when we got rid of reggie white he went to the panthers. not the lions or bears or vikings. same said for al harris

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Close? He has been a lock for the HoF for years. And one lousy season on a TERRIBLE Vikings team isn't changing that.

i said a lock to have his jersey retired and right now would be close as in how long it would be before he is inducted into the HOF

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i said a lock to have his jersey retired and right now would be close as in how long it would be before he is inducted into the HOF

I think the Packers were going to retire his jersey on opening day 2008.

Anyway, I think he is a virtual lock now. Time will pass, and the wounds will heal.

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Right.... But I was talking about your comment that he would be CLOSE to the Hall of Fame. Which is just untrue. He is a lock for the HoF, and has been.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right.... But I was talking about your comment that he would be CLOSE to the Hall of Fame. Which is just untrue. He is a lock for the HoF, and has been.

You misread what he said. He said "close to being the hall of fame" as in if he had stayed retired after 2007.

OP
OP
Wood Chipper

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score

when i said close i was referring to the time he would get in. had he retired a few years ago he would be in the HOF sooner than if he retires this year

Favre4Ever

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You misread what he said. He said "close to being the hall of fame" as in if he had stayed retired after 2007.

Not misread. Misinterpreted.

when i said close i was referring to the time he would get in. had he retired a few years ago he would be in the HOF sooner than if he retires this year

Indeed you are correct. My bad, sir.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
It'll happen eventually, no doubt about it. He has a lot of *** kissing to do until then. I just don't see it happening on the terms the two sides are on now.

John L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as jersey retirement, I could see it happening at the soonest during the first game of the 2012 season. Favre will have then been out for an entire off season and season.

That should be sufficient time for both sides to see the maximum earning opportunity in Favre/Packers materials for the event. Favre will also get a years distance from whatever comes from this new harassment suit.

Originally it was thought that Favre would wait until TT and MM were fired. TT is having a great year proving the depth of his picks and acquisitions after all of the injuries and MM is back in the Playoffs. Favre proved he could still play last year and beat them both twice so all demons should be exorcised by the the start two seasons from now.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I feel they would either rush it or wait till A-Rod retires and then do it. I would support waiting till all members of the rough patch are out of the picture and then retire it. I would say do it 19 seasons from this season (one for each season he played) But it would be around the Packers 100th anniversary and that isn't right.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with John L, it should happen soon. Not this year, maybe next, but not five years from now. He played for the vikings, beat us twice in a season, won the division... oh so what? did i like it? no, but this is the first Packers QB i have ever watched (only 23) and this is a legend through and through and we should let bygones be bygones and treat the man with respect. He brought us back to glory and let him have his place among the greats sooner rather than later. No need for bitterness, this is our legend... GO PACK GO!

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its gonna take some time to let Packers fan heal from all his BS he has done over the past few years. But they will retire it one day. Until then this is what I would do......
MM-Mike McCarthey
MF-Matt Flynn

MM-"Hey Matt, number 10 is so boring. You really wanna wear the same number as Eli Manning?"
MF-"I really don't care that much its just a number. When I came on the team it was really the only thing available."
MM-"Well guess what! Its your lucky day. We happen to have a winners number just laying around. Try this on Matt."
MF-"Number 4? Who wore this number that won on the Packers."
MM-"Oh that quarterback we had before Aaron, I think his name was Barry, or Brent or something."
MM-"Number 4 looks great on you Matt."
MF-"Thanks coach."

See this way Brett can complain because the person wearing his old number will be on the bench just like he was his last two games. Problem solved.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this whole retiring a players # works, so I just have to ask.

Does the player have any say in the decision?

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how this whole retiring a players # works, so I just have to ask.

Does the player have any say in the decision?

One of my friends told me that Brett said he did not want his number retired until TT and MM where out of Green Bay.

New idea give Mason Crosby the #4. At least we never have to worry about him throwing a pic.

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
One of my friends told me that Brett said he did not want his number retired until TT and MM where out of Green Bay.

New idea give Mason Crosby the #4. At least we never have to worry about him throwing a pic.

Thats what I was wondering,..as much as he's been doing to distance himself from the Packers, Why wouldn't he just say that he'd go ahead and retire it with the Vikings?
As far as I know, he's not offically retired yet.

ClayMatthews

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thats what I was wondering,..as much as he's been doing to distance himself from the Packers, Why wouldn't he just say that he'd go ahead and retire it with the Vikings?
As far as I know, he's not offically retired yet.

Yeah, I have heard anything about him being officially retired yet either. FML

I don't wanna go through another summer of Favre drama. :swoon2:

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I have heard anything about him being officially retired yet either. FML

I don't wanna go through another summer of Favre drama. :swoon2:

Wasn't that press conference kinda his retirement? Or am I mistaken?

I don't know or understand anything about him anymore. Even if he wants to come back what team would be willing to take a chance with him? It's not like he has an upside anymore. I mean, maybe if he came back he could do better than last year. But still, he's just too old now. Too prone to getting injured, and seriously ******** the rest of his life up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts