Report: Packers told body of Michael Philbin has been identified

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wow thoughts and prayers to the Philbin family. This will sound selfish maybe, but lets hope this is nothing or this is a bad distraction.

Let's all hope for a positive ending to this story from the Green Bay Press-Gazette.

The son of Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin was reported missing Sunday night. Police in Oshkosh, Wis., are seeking information on the whereabouts of Michael T. Philbin, 21, who was last heard from early Sunday morning.

Joe Philbin has been a Packers assistant coach since 2003 and their offensive coordinator since 2007. He has been named as a candidate for multiple NFL head coaching jobs recently, and interviewed for openings last week with the Kansas City Chiefs and on Saturday with the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins job remains unfilled. It's also possible that Philbin could be a candidate for theOakland Raiders' job if incumbent Hue Jackson is fired by new general manager Reggie McKenzie, a longtime former Packers executive. The Packers will reconvene Monday at Lambeau Field to begin preparations for Sunday's divisional playoff game against the New York Giants.

This is a private issue that will play out partly in public due to police involvement. We'll do our best to respect both sides of that.
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/51948/son-of-packers-philbin-reported-missing

gmann001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The New York/New Jersey mafia???

Hope all is well with this kid...

Reaction score
Did Cullen Jenkins brother or dad or something disappear around the time of the Super Bowl? This is like Deja Vu all over again!

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prayers for the Philbin family. We got Joe's autograph when we went to Green Bay this year, he seems like a really cool and down to earth guy. Hoping for the best.

OP
OP
Mr. StyleZ

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Doesn't go very well with this story either.. since Philbin's son was last seen at 2 am Sunday.

OSHKOSH -- Authorities are still looking for a man who police believe drowned in the Fox River.
Police say around 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, a security guard from Axel Tech heard a man yelling for help from the Fox River off of Rockwell Avenue near the UW-Oshkosh campus.
Lieutenant Greg Cianciolo with the Winnebago Sheriff's Department, was one of the first responders on the scene Sunday morning.
"When we first got here, there was solid ice, going approximately 40-50 yards off shore. That ice was several inches thick in areas," he said.
When first responders arrived, police say the man was gone.
"We are looking for just one person; we don't have anything that indicates there was more than one. There were multiple holes in the ice when we arrived on scene but that's pretty common right now but that's pretty common right now because the ice is in such poor condition," he said.
The dive team worked Sunday on very limited information.
Police say no missing person report has been filed, and authorities had no description of the man or his motive.
"We don't even know who it is. So we'd like to find that person so we can identify them and complete and investigation as to what happened," Cianciolo said.
Recovery crews worked in ice cold waters 20 feet deep, with only about a foot of visibility, taking turns and warming up.
"We search an area if we don't find anything, we expand the search area a little bit and just keep moving along the grid," he said.
Authorities say typically when there's a hole in the ice and there's a witness, they usually find the person right away.
Police say from the information they do have, they're still treating this very seriously, and will resume the search tomorrow morning.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know from my years of ice fishing is that lake ice can be very safe; river ice can be very dangerous. Walking on ice that is more unpredictable and has a current that can move you from the break-through point is very risky. I hope that nobody did go through the ice and that either way, Joe's son is found.

At least McCarthy calls the plays so if this isn't resolved by Sunday, Joe won't have as much pressure to concentrate on the game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The New York/New Jersey mafia???

Hope all is well with this kid...
those *****es would not dare - this is Amish country

Doesn't sound good with the Fox River search going on. Is there people fishing the river at this time of the year? Thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends. As far as Packer distraction - stuff like this puts a silly game in perspective.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The 21-year-old son of Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin has been reported as missing. The Associated Press reports that Michael Philbin had been visiting friends in Oshkosh when he was last seen Sunday at 2. a.m. CT. He was reported missing on Sunday evening. Michael Philbin spent six months in jail in 2009. He was convicted…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Horrible. Horrible timing for him, and the preparation of the team.

This kid has been trouble before, sadly, just like Andy Reid's kids.

LombardiChick

Win or lose, I love this team.
Reaction score
This is, I believe, the same son who was in trouble with the law a couple of years ago.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/41181747.html

It is. He was 17 years-old and had a party (girls were also "over the age of 16")...he did a really bad thing but people are jumping to conclusions elsewhere, that he is a "child molester" going after "little girls" - when it sounds to me like it was a case of a teen taking advantage of peers who had too much alcohol. Don't get me wrong - it's bad - but not the same kind of bad, imo.

Its relevance to this story escapes me, but the media is including the snippet about the conviction in every report...but without details, so it sounds like he's some sort of child predator. Already saw a couple of people say they felt bad until they realized that's what he was.

Adding: Here's a link to another J/S story on it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is. He was 17 years-old and had a party (girls were also "over the age of 16")...he did a really bad thing but people are jumping to conclusions elsewhere, that he is a "child molester" going after "little girls" - when it sounds to me like it was a case of a teen taking advantage of peers who had too much alcohol. Don't get me wrong - it's bad - but not the same kind of bad, imo.

Its relevance to this story escapes me, but the media is including the snippet about the conviction in every report...but without details, so it sounds like he's some sort of child predator. Already saw a couple of people say they felt bad until they realized that's what he was.

Well, he was 18. I will admit, I lost sympathy when I saw this. Who knows, maybe he became a better guy after this.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
Well, he was 18. I will admit, I lost sympathy when I saw this. Who knows, maybe he became a better guy after this.

The link I posted says he was 17:

According to the criminal complaint, Michael Philbin, who was 17 at the time, hosted a party at the family's Sonoran Court home near Southwest High School on Aug. 21. The Packers flew to Denver that day to play the Broncos the next evening in an exhibition game.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think non consensual sex or contact is all on the same level. It's all bad no matter who does what to whom whatever the ages and circumstances.
If that's the only way that he could have sex with girls, passed out, that is just wrong in all sorts of ways and on so many levels.
You just don't do that. Take advantage in the worst way when the victim is asleep and can't defend herself.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm beginning to feel the same way.
I don't wish him dead but if he is I probably won't feel so bad about now that I know the wrong he did to innocent victims.
Ignorance really is bliss.

LombardiChick

Reaction score
I think non consensual sex or contact is all on the same level. It's all bad no matter who does what to whom whatever the ages and circumstances.

I agree that it's all bad (and I said so), but: You don't think there's any difference between a 17 year-old taking advantage of drunk teens at a party and, say, what happened at Penn State?

People who do what he did serve jail, not prison sentences, for less than one year. If it were the same, and just as bad, do you think that would be the case? Do you think he should have gone to prison?

Members online

Latest posts