Report: Al Harris to be released on Monday

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should have stuck Underwood's skinny *** on IR, and kept Harris as the #4 CB.

Can you imagine:

#1- Tramon
#2- Woodson
#3- Shields
#4- Harris

How much better is that than what we had last year with Bush at #3 and Josh Bell at #4 down the stretch???

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Harris is, right now, better than Shields as the nickel corner.
Says who?

3 years ago, Harris was beat like a drum by Plaxico Burress. Had he covered him well that day, we'd have gone to the Super Bowl. He was old then. He's older now.
He wasn't that fast then. He's gotta be slower now.
He got beat by Crabtree for a TD last year against Alex Smith....

I love Al Harris, but he's not better right now than Sam Shields is. Still, I wish we'd have kept him and sent Underwood to the IR where he'll probably end up anyway.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Says who?

3 years ago, Harris was beat like a drum by Plaxico Burress. Had he covered him well that day, we'd have gone to the Super Bowl. He was old then. He's older now.
He wasn't that fast then. He's gotta be slower now.
He got beat by Crabtree for a TD last year against Alex Smith....

I love Al Harris, but he's not better right now than Sam Shields is. Still, I wish we'd have kept him and sent Underwood to the IR where he'll probably end up anyway.

Plaxico Burress. I hate that **** still to this day for that!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh wow how things would have been different for us. Would favre still be playing in MN?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I like the way you guys make excuses for tt and mm letting al go. But the coaches that was actually watching Als progress thought he looked better then he did when his knee was healthy. What I'm saying is sheilds over al?? No way no how atleast they could have let al finish this season. That sloppy fade route that dez Bryant caught for a td that wouldn't have happened on al. IMO they should have let al finshed this year out and traded him or let him go in the off season. That's just my out look on the situation.

I'm old enough to know that age alone in a highly competitive and physical league can be a detriment. When you get older things just don't work the way you want them to. Normally a 35 year old guy playing against 23 year olds has to work twice as hard to handle it. Now Harris is not only the older guy, but he totally blew out just about everything in his knee. For him to be able to come back and be fast enough and competitive enough with the healthy 23 year old is asking a lot. He may run the coverage pattern nicely, but can he keep up step for step with the 23 year old guy who just made him turn completely around and bolt after the guy? With that kind of injury, it's highly questionable.

It hurts to lose Al Harris, and we're not "making excuses", if that's what you management despisers what to call it. Facts is facts. They said it wasn't about his physical condition, but maybe they were being gracious to give the guy a shot at another team with lesser depth. If they said; "Yup, he just doesn't have the speed anymore." No one would give him a second look. This way, by saying it the way they did, they help him.

He may not be fast enough anymore for the Packers, but someone like the 49ers could use him, if for nothing else than to bring the young guys along. It's a long shot he'd go to the Vikings, but if he did, Jennings would torch him 3 out of 4 times.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Last year when Al went out, how many games did we win?

This year, how has our secondary done for most part as A WHOLE UNIT

I was a doubter about our secondary until a couple weeks ago when the folks on this board used a lot of excellent facts to help me believe. Then the game against the Jets solidified my belief that this secondary is fine. I saw the light. Some of these young guys who were questionable earlier have really stepped up. I never expected Williams to have the year he's having. Now Capers has shown us a new wrinkle with Woodson. This secondary is quietly becoming scarey good.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Why the Packers cut Al Harris (I think)* - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

The Green Bay Packers' decision to release cornerback Al Harris was "not a physical decision," coach Mike McCarthy said Monday. Instead, McCarthy said, "this is a big-picture roster decision."

Translation: The Packers didn't have much use for a reserve cornerback who wouldn't be a special-teams contributor and might hinder the development of a younger player.

Harris obviously wasn't going to reclaim his starting job from Tramon Williams, and the Packers like what they've seen from rookie nickel back Sam Shields. So at best, Harris would have been the Packers' dime back assuming everyone ahead of him remained healthy.

I have said same thing??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Andrew Brandt mailbag-Al Harris

Andrew's answers: Tuesday's mailbag | National Football Post

You know Al Harris well. Do you think he has good years left after being released by the Packers and are you surprised?

I am not surprised. The Packers rave about Harris’s replacement Tramon Williams and are actively looking to extend his contract. With other young cornerbacks skilled at special teams, Al became a luxury.
Even injured, Al was an admired presence by players, coaches and administrators alike.

And Al would do anything for a friend. When I was being considered for the Packers’ CEO position in 2007, Al offered a video testimonial about me with a couple other players to submit to the search committee. That’s the kind of guy he is.

I negotiated several contracts for Al – all with my NFP colleague Jack Bechta – and never found him to be unreasonable in his requests.

Although 35, after many years as a backup in Tampa and Philadelphia prior to the Packers, Al has some football left in him.

chucknorris101

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hey chuck norris, who wins in a fight, Chuck Norris or Clay Matthews?
No one knows but it is theorized that if such a fight were to take place the universe would most likely implode due to the sheer awesomeness. As a result Clay and Chuck have agreed to settle any disagreements with the most manly bouts of rock paper scissors in history.

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Al Harris makes it through waivers

Former Packers cornerback Al Harris will have to take a pay cut to play in the NFL this year.Harris passed through waivers on Tuesday according to multiple reports, meaning no team wanted the prorated rest of his $2.5 million contract.The...

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
That much I expected. But what happens to him now? Does he control his own destiny (retire, sign with another team of his choice)... or does he just land up back with the Packers.

Interesting the Vikes didn't pick him up off waivers. There fans are gonna be crushed.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Its said to see our "dreadlocks guy" go, but at least we can be happy he was a Packer and was a great one at that. I hope that what ever team gets him doesn't have to play us.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
called that one.

Maybe Ill be right on my 2nd prediction too. One can only hope.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, as in we give him a fair shot at getting picked up by someone else and a chance to make the most of his situation. Not really sure how the rest of the league views him. I would think this might be his last season.

that your prediction?

That they allowed him to clear waivers and explore what the market is willing to pay him, then the PAck match it?

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He isnt going to be picked up on waivers. You dont pay a corner $2 mil thats 35 coming off that injury. He will be signed as a FA.

Bailey is still a great corner, he just gets lost in the problems that Denver has. He is grading out on PFF as the 2nd best corner in the league. They have Tramon as the 3rd best :)

this was what I was referring to.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that your prediction?

That they allowed him to clear waivers and explore what the market is willing to pay him, then the PAck match it?

or did you mean the 2nd prediction? yeah thats it. It would make sense for both parties if the organization was interested. Harris hinted at staying in the division so maybe to everyones surprise he meant he had a conversation with the packers only.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Harris hinted at staying in the division so maybe to everyones surprise he meant he had a conversation with the packers only.

That concerns me. He could be talking about the Packers.

OR. He could be really pissed that we released him and on the next plane to Purple Land.

Members online

Latest posts