Reggie McKenzie, next Houston GM?

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saw this on the rumor mill about Reggie McKenzie, who is our director of pro personnel maybe becoming the GM for the Texans, it also touches on how he worked closely with Sherman

Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie is being mentioned as a candidate to become the next general manager of the Houston Texans. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Charley Casserly resigned as the Texans' general manager to pursue a position as vice president of football operations and development at the National Football League's office in New York. McKenzie worked closely with former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman, who is now an assistant head coach for the Texans.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
i don't undersatnd why the texans or Casserly would be stupid and make the Mario pick and then resign a few weeks later.

It was a team decision to go for Mario.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
i don't undersatnd why the texans or Casserly would be stupid and make the Mario pick and then resign a few weeks later.

It was rumored long before the Draft. Cassely is their scapegoat now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
so they pick mario and then blame it on the gm that resigned?

No one was blamed. The Texans as a team decided to take Mario, not just the GM. He did have the final say on whether he or Bush were to be taken though. The coach and owner agreed to take Mario over Bush.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:

If Mario is a complete BUST, Cassley is set to receive some Heat. he had as much say in the pick as anyone else did.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
porky88 said:
thetombradyhater said:

If Mario is a complete BUST, Cassley is set to receive some Heat. he had as much say in the pick as anyone else did.

Yep. it was a team decision. He had the 'say so' in changing the pick, but chose to go with what everyone on the staff felt was best for the team. Atleast thats what he said on his interview on the Dan Patrick radio show a few days back.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
thetombradyhater said:

Yep. it was a team decision. He had the 'say so' in changing the pick, but chose to go with what everyone on the staff felt was best for the team. Atleast thats what he said on his interview on the Dan Patrick radio show a few days back.

but he is still someone they can blame if Marios sucks

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
Zero2Cool said:
porky88 said:
thetombradyhater said:

but he is still someone they can blame if Marios sucks

Blame is a easy way out, if they wanted they could blame you! Doesn't mean your at fault though.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the universal assumption: Reggie Bush can't be a bust. Yes, he can, just like any draft pick, including A.J. Hawk.

I find it odd that Mike Sherman's name hasn't been mentioned. Without stirring up the old crap here, why would you hire Reggie McKenzie(who has never done THE ENTIRE JOB) when you have an NFL GM experienced person ON STAFF already? Sherman might not want it, but Gary Kubiak said in an interview that he's been using Sherman's expertise to get him through his first head coaching job.

I emailed one of the Packers beat reporters at the Journal-Sentinel about this and received a reply that in Texas there are many rumors about Sherman as possible GM, but the reporter couldn't get anyone on the record to say it, so the reporter didn't use it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net....I'm not sure Sherman wants it. Isn't he the one that recommended McKenzie?

I am guessing that Sherman just wants to coach. Just a guess.....I have no backup.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack4life said:
Saw this on the rumor mill about Reggie McKenzie, who is our director of pro personnel maybe becoming the GM for the Texans, it also touches on how he worked closely with Sherman

Green Bay Packers director of pro personnel Reggie McKenzie is being mentioned as a candidate to become the next general manager of the Houston Texans. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Charley Casserly resigned as the Texans' general manager to pursue a position as vice president of football operations and development at the National Football League's office in New York. McKenzie worked closely with former Packers coach and general manager Mike Sherman, who is now an assistant head coach for the Texans.

Sounds like there is some doubt as to whether he would be given enough power, or just the title to do basically what he is doing in Green Bay. Also, he would be saddled with a Head Coach who was not his hire. Not always a good thing. That said, he apparently is widely respected throughout the league and it probably is just a matter of time before the right situation surfaces.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts