Recent NFL trades

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like to gripe about an otherwise solid season, but Bucs just picked up Michael Bennett, Chargers picked up Chambers.

Not that they're world beaters, and not that I'd necessarily want the packers going after either, but given our glaring rb situation, I'm a little discouraged that we're not wheeling and dealing while it's being proven that even in the NFL, you can trade for some moderately big names mid-season.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like to gripe about an otherwise solid season, but Bucs just picked up Michael Bennett, Chargers picked up Chambers.

Not that they're world beaters, and not that I'd necessarily want the packers going after either, but given our glaring rb situation, I'm a little discouraged that we're not wheeling and dealing while it's being proven that even in the NFL, you can trade for some moderately big names mid-season.

with TT as GM, did you really expect a trade?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe, if you actually pay attention, you will notice that the problem lies more with the OL than the RBs as far as the less-than-stellar run game is concerned. A lot of youth that has still not come together as we had hoped for this season.

Yeah, that pesky TT!! Stellar drafts; excellent acquisition of select FAs...and do not sell short the impact that the FAs he has signed have had on this team.....;an unflinching unwillingness to throw money at names that typically do not live up to their pay; fiscal responsibility; improved overall team play; and responsible for hiring of one of the hottest young coaches in the league.

What a bastard for saddling us with THAT!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
ask your self this...

What Rb out there would put us over the top?? That is if those few Rb were on the trading block

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
and oh yeah having 14 million in cap space to sit on.

how about turner from the chargers?

bell from denver?

Dont know a Bell at Denver..

The rb Dell i know of is in Detroit, and there was a thread already about trading for him...In division rival aint going to happen DURING the season..

Chargers will not trade Michael Turner

Tuesday, Oct 9, 2007 2:36 pm EDT
Michael Turner

Getty Images

San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith reiterated Monday that Michael Turner will remain a Charger through the 2007 season, the same thing he promised when he took Turner off the market in April.

Teams such as Green Bay and Tampa Bay might be willing to give up draft picks and/or players for Turner's services, and fans lament that Smith will give away another talent (e.g. Drew Brees and Donnie Edwards) for no compensation in free agency.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Turner is out of the question. AJ Smith removed him from offers awhile ago. He also wanted a 1st and 3rd for him. That's too steep, even for a guy that I really like.

Bell from Denver wouldn't do much good here either.

I don't think the Packers feel they have a problem with their RB as much as they know they have a problem with their OL blocking.

If you don't have a hole to run through, you wont' have a running game unless you have an extremely gifted RB which is simply not going to be available.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont feel Bell would put the team over the top...Turner MIGHT help the team, but the O-L has to start to block properly

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bell has been laying the ball on the ground his entire career and is vastly overrated, and Turner is a UFA after this season. Why would we squander multiple high draft picks...you know, those pesky things you build a football team with....to acquire Turner when we can negotiate with him after this season without the cost of draft picks.

I love how the TT bashers completely overlook all the positive things the guy has done for this team and latch onto this one aspect like a pit bull. Face it, this team was in disarray, lacking talent/depth across the board, had an out of control QB and was demoralized when he took over. Something I like to call "night and day" turnaround in just a few years.

Shame on TT for building a bad **** defense with solid young depth across the team that has vastly elevated special teams' play. Shame on him for bringing in a coach who, through his demand for accountability, has our HOF QB playing up to that status. Shame on him for re-signing our own FA veterans....sorry guys and gals, these moves count too....and not allowing a talent drain. Shame on him for Pickett and Woodson! Shame on him...shame, shame, shame!!!

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'm not bashing anyone. i am saying we had a pile of dough and there were some guys i thought may have helped the team. that is it.

you feel differently, fine. you are welcome to your opinion, and i should be able to post mine.

it is how a forum works.

if TT offered turner 6 million in march, who knows what might have happened.

the special teamshas been lookin pretty avg of late, a bad **** defense?

the defense has been solid, but i do not feel they are top 5 in the nfl.

TT has built a young team. i do not hate the guy, just wish he had done something in f/a to get a playmaker in the off season.

you asked who, and i responded.

wow, the insanity!!!!!!!!!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding of the $6 million offer you mention....yeah, Turner might have accepted it....and we would be out a #1 and #3 pick. And we know that TT does a lot with those picks.

My best hunch, Turner is a Packer in 2008; Favre plays 2 more seasons; and the playoffs becone familiar territory for this team on an annual basis; and the SB is actually conceivable.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs...I'm not bashing TT...he has done an incredible job in constructing a great and deep defense, and has found some gems in Jennings (injuries aside) and Jones.

I'm just saying that you can still get some decent players out there. NO, they won't redefine your team, but they may give you an extra push, much like Rison in the SB years, and I think Chambers was a great pick up by SD.

Turner did come to mind, and Bennett **may** have been worth a shot.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and oh yeah having 14 million in cap space to sit on.

how about turner from the chargers?

bell from denver?

A.J. Smith told Michael Turner he won't trade him even though he's going to let him walk as a free agent next year. He said it's about this season and he believes Turner can be helpful in getting San Diego to a Super Bowl.

I heard that on ESPN Radio a while back.

Unless TT can find a guard, I'm not sure Mike Bell has anything DeShawn Wynn doesn't.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No RB is going to do anything if there are no holes to run through. They need to get this o-line to learn HOW to open up holes. I think if they can do that, Wynn and Morency will get them 5 yards a play.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe, if you actually pay attention, you will notice that the problem lies more with the OL than the RBs as far as the less-than-stellar run game is concerned. A lot of youth that has still not come together as we had hoped for this season.

Yeah, that pesky TT!! Stellar drafts; excellent acquisition of select FAs...and do not sell short the impact that the FAs he has signed have had on this team.....;an unflinching unwillingness to throw money at names that typically do not live up to their pay; fiscal responsibility; improved overall team play; and responsible for hiring of one of the hottest young coaches in the league.

Stellar drafts and excellent acquisition of FA's?

FA's - how hard is it to decide to sign Charles Woodson and Pickett, who if im not mistaken was the to tackling DT in the entire NFL the year before coming to Green Bay.

Drafts - I dont know of any of his draft picks that has turned a superstar or pro bowler. Yes, some of them are pretty good players but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He basically threw away round 1 and 2 of the draft this year.

Jury is still out on this. Lets wait before we start greasing up our lips.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

FA's - how hard is it to decide to sign Charles Woodson and Pickett, who if im not mistaken was the to tackling DT in the entire NFL the year before coming to Green Bay.

Drafts - I dont know of any of his draft picks that has turned a superstar or pro bowler. Yes, some of them are pretty good players but lets not get ahead of ourselves. He basically threw away round 1 and 2 of the draft this year.

The jury is still out on if he's such a major screw up too, wouldn't you say? I myself think the guy has done a pretty decent job, considering what he had to start with when he came here. You can't build a SB contender in just a couple of years.......although we sure are looking pretty decent so far this seasn, wouldn't you agree? TT has done more in the couple of years he has had here then Matt Millen has done in his MANY years in Detroit.
If TT screws this team up (As some seem to want him to do) then i will say he's a bum. But other then just throwing money at FA's, which doesn't always mean they will turn out good, i don't see a whole lot to pick the guy apart on. I mean, geez, we are 5-1, and STILL people are calling for the guys head.
I still think there are many people that would find fault with him even if he's helping to hoist the Lombardi trophy for us at the end of the year. They hate him because they hate him. No reason necessary.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:

Only one other team actually pursued Charles Woodson and it was Tampa who felt he should become a Free Safety. A lot of people believed he was overrated and to injury prone to be relied on in the NFL. Most scouts thought safety was the way to go an that maybe he could revive his career there.

Ryan Pickett had only 3 other teams go after him and most teams didn't really believe he was a great defensive tackle but a okay one. Green Bay, Buffalo, and St. Louis were the teams. I recall a lot of people crying out for Grady Jackson at that time instead of Pickett.

It's very hard to locate and sign good talent in the NFL. Joe Johnson was a major bust. He was considered the best defensive player in free agency in 2001 I believe. Sherman went after him and gave him top dollar and it didn't work out. Other teams could of probably offered more but they didn't. I wonder why?

I agree the jury is still out but so far the jury looks pretty good to me. 5-1 with the youngest team in football and plenty of cap to spend though unlikely he uses all or even most of it. The Packers are 5-1 and we know they aren't playing up to their potential. That's saying something.

The Drafts are producing so far so good. Three Drafts and we have plenty of starters from them. I'll take that.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not good drafts? Did I say every player was a superstar? Nope! But this team has been re-loaded, and with very good talent across the board if you care to investigate, through the draft.

Harrel is a player, and he will fill the void when Williams leaves via FA this year. And of course you would probably be the first to ***** if there was no replacement for him on the roster. Brandon Jackson? Hell, give any one of our backs some holes to run through and they will. The problem is the line thus far.

Be real! This team is where it is today BECAUSE of TT's drafts...whether you care to admit it or not.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
For those of you upset at no trade, it is not all over yet.. Players on the PUP have to be activated, released or put on IR today... one noteable RB is Michael Bush of Oakland.. they have to make room someplace for him..

Makes sense to let another RB walk.. so that means either Rhodes or Fargas COULD be let go to make this room up..

There are other PUP players out there.. so maybe a flurry of moves gets a another RB or Lineman open to look at.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the reality is the team has won a game because of special teams, won a game b/c of the defense and three games on #4's arm.

if i am not allowed to say harrell and jackson are busts, then i do not see how you can argue the two players will be a success.

neither player has done anything to say they will be solid players at the next level.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those of you upset at no trade, it is not all over yet.. Players on the PUP have to be activated, released or put on IR today... one noteable RB is Michael Bush of Oakland.. they have to make room someplace for him..

Makes sense to let another RB walk.. so that means either Rhodes or Fargas COULD be let go to make this room up..

There are other PUP players out there.. so maybe a flurry of moves gets a another RB or Lineman open to look at.

I'd love to see M.Bush in Green Bay. b/f he got hurt he was a beast!!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, I don't know...I watch Harrell's snaps pretty closely and he gets on people and gets into the action with regularity. The guy looks to be a beast against the run based on what little I saw. Jackson...as I said, I will not judge him until he has a line opening holes for him.

My point here is not to proclaim these players as the next Gravedigger or Ahman Green, it is simply to bring to light your claim of them being busts is premature and not well thought out. Have they produced a lot? Nope. Have they been given opportunity to produce? Not really, as Harrell is buried in one of the deepest lines in the league...with the tackle spots being the deepest position.....and Jackson runing behind a line that cannot punch its way out of a paper bag where run blocking is concerned.

What I am saying, however, is that when the draft is accounted for...all rounds and not just the top spots....TT has done very well. Johnny Jolly in the 6th comes immediately to mind. DeShawn Wynn in the 7th as well. The guy knows how to identify football talent, bottom line.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts