Rebuttal to Sharper "butting in" - Historical

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure some of the Members here also gravitate over to other Forums, when posting thoughts... I, myself, not only run the IPB web site for the local Club - but visit the FTO boards, been a Member for a long time there; along with places like PackerChatters, and PackersNews, Forums as well. - There are others, but let's move on ----

In that regard - one of the Members over on PackerChatters has started a thread, which many of you wouldn't have necessarily seen - Hence, the naming of this thread - which bears some acute review by all of us with regard to how we "see" Players who are Members of Green Bay, or otherwise!

originally posted on Oct. 20, 2003 - JSonline
Sharper calls out teammates
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]

Green Bay - Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman says the team's problem on defense is not one of personnel, and safety Darren Sharper agrees with him.

But while Sherman plans to spend the bulk of the bye week examining why he and his staff aren't getting the most out of the unit, Sharper went to work right away, reminding some of his teammates that big production is supposed to go hand-in-hand with a big contract.

"Every time I lace up those pads, I'm going out there trying to win but also understanding that I have to make something happen out there," Sharper said. "If you get paid to do that and they're not calling your name a lot on that loudspeaker, then I think you're not only not earning your job, you're not earning your check.

"So those people who just got a lot of money recently, if you're not hearing their name a lot, then they could have (given) that to somebody else, right?"

Sharper, the highest-paid player on defense this season (based on salary cap figures) and its leader, didn't name names, but it was obvious he was referring to the lack of production the Packers have gotten out of end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, defensive tackle Cletidus Hunt, injured end Joe Johnson and perhaps, to a lesser extent, linebacker Na'il Diggs.

Gbaja-Biamila (seven years, $37.3 million, $11 million signing bonus) and Hunt (six years, $25.35 million, $6 million signing bonus) received blockbuster contracts during the off-season and Johnson (six years, $33 million, $6.5 million signing bonus), on injured reserve with a torn thigh muscle, received big money the year before.

Together, the three have barely been a blip on the defensive radar screen, especially with regard to rushing the passer. They have a combined six sacks in 19 games since signing their contracts.

Diggs signed a more modest contract (four years, $10.4 million, $2.8 signing bonus) in the off-season as a restricted free agent and has been about as productive as he was a year ago when he was playing strong-side linebacker.

Though Sharper's execution might not sit well with Sherman and some of his teammates, his plan was obviously to remind the others that there is a responsibility that comes with being among the unit's highest-paid players. Regardless of effort level, there is an expectation that big-money players make big plays.

Right now, the Packers aren't getting those plays. They rank 28th in the league in total defense, 28th against the pass, 18th against the run and 29th in sack average.

"We definitely have the talent to win, and win more than we have," said Sharper, who signed a six-year, $30 million deal ($7 million signing bonus) in February 2001. "You think about it last year, we had six starters missing from our defense and we beat New England, who was the defending champion.

"So talent I don't think necessarily has anything to do with it. It's more energy, more effort and execution. Effort can beat talent sometimes."

Gbaja-Biamila didn't like the idea of someone in the locker room pointing fingers, but at the same time he said it didn't matter because he wasn't playing for his teammates, that his only debt was to his maker. He said he was satisfied with his effort, but not with his production.

"We need to stick together, encourage one another, and pointing fingers is not the way to unite," Gbaja-Biamila said. "That can divide a team. That's unfortunate.

"I can speak for myself, I know everyday I'm out there I'm giving my best. I may not be doing everything right, scheme-wise or not being disciplined and jumping offsides, but I am giving my best."

Sharper, whose own numbers are down this year (33 tackles, two sacks, one interception) but is regarded as the unit's best player, probably will earn a scolding from Sherman for his comments. But at the same time, he might be saying publicly what Sherman can't since he's the one who approved the contracts for those players.

What Sherman did make clear on Monday, a day after the Packers' 34-24 loss to the St. Louis Rams dropped them to 3-4, was that his intention was to use the bye to study whether the coaches were doing enough to help the players. Going through the defensive lineup almost man for man, Sherman couldn't come up with a position where he felt he was worse off than a year ago.

That would suggest that either the 12-4 record and No. 12 ranking in total defense last year were a fluke or that the scheme is failing.

"We will do some work on the field obviously, but I think most of the work will be done up in the meetings with the coaches as we look at ourselves, as we do at every bye week whether our record is 6-1 or 3-4," Sherman said. "You have to look at yourself under a microscope regardless and find out: What can we do better? How can we create turnovers? How can we create more pressure?"

Sherman's No. 1 concern is why after spending all that money on Johnson, "KGB" and Hunt, the Packers aren't getting much of a pass rush. Even before Johnson got hurt, the line was no factor in pressuring the quarterback and now Sherman has to ask himself if blitzing with linebackers and safeties is his only option for producing a pass rush.

The Packers are going to have to do something to turn up the heat on opposing offenses before it's too late.

"We've got to put more pressure on the quarterback," Sharper said. "Just having four guys rushing isn't going to do it. We've got to do some different things."
Now - with comparing these words alongside those he has just voiced recently towards Brett Favre.... Anyone wanted to take the reins on this one and demonstrate where Darren might be totally correct here - or is he just plain "out of touch" with how a Player should react to other Players within the Community of the NFL (showing some hypocrisy, maybe). In my mind - You cannot have it both ways... You sign a contract, then live up to the agreement, ....is what I think he's tryin' to say here.... Or did I miss something?

Comments....?...!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez-Excellent Post. I really don't care what Sharper says, he is now a Minnesota Vikings. His just another unhappy exPacker player who wanted a bigger contract just like Walker and didn't get it and their egos are bruised. He was a good football player for the Packers. We will see what he does at Minnesota this year. Sharper recieved a big pay day from the Vikes, we will see if he earns it this coming year. Viking can plug a bunch of expensive Free agents into their defense, we will find out if this works. It did not work for the Redskins!!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you go to Packers.com to watch A Sharper Look he does an interview with Brett Favre.

The last thing Darren asks Brett is "On the practice field is there any particular guy you fear the most?" (not a direct quote)

Brett responds, "You must be talking about LeRoy Butler (with a big grin). Nah, I know what you're gettin' at. In an hour and a half I'll be roasting you again."

=====================
I just thought this was really funny. We'll see what happens now that Darren in purple.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who cares what he says.....he's just trying to get one last shot at the Packers organization because he knows that if Brett does convince Walker to honor his contract and ask for more money after another pro bowl year that he will be burned in a chasedown by Walker. I just hope Walker is not that dumb to believe that Sharper was right in what he says.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
If you go to Packers.com to watch A Sharper Look he does an interview with Brett Favre.

The last thing Darren asks Brett is "On the practice field is there any particular guy you fear the most?" (not a direct quote)

Brett responds, "You must be talking about LeRoy Butler (with a big grin). Nah, I know what you're gettin' at. In an hour and a half I'll be roasting you again."

=====================
I just thought this was really funny. We'll see what happens now that Darren in purple.

just watched it. priceless.

Members online

Latest posts