Re-watched the game vs. the 49'ers. Secondary THAT good?

Brandon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it is of my belief that the Packers have the BEST WE core in the NFL. I also think the Lions have a very powerful offense and WR core. So how good is this 49'ers secondary? I know it's only 2 games, but holy crap does that team scare me right now... they've now completely locked down two of the NFL's top scoring offenses.

The part that bothers me is aside from having a terrific pass rush and run-stopping defense, their secondary now looks amazing. On more than one occasion I witnessed the 49'ers blitz the house and all of their LB's, and more than once both Rodgers and Stafford had a good pocket despite this and still fail to find an open receiver. I just don't see how that is possible against talented WR's like we have, especially in 4-5 WR sets. How does that happen?!

Hard to judge their continuity based on the next game since they are playing the terrible Vikings, but with the way they have played thus far I just hope there is some blue print for the Packers to defeat them come playoff time. Your thoughts?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On top of what you said they tackle SO well and play with so much motivation and energy. Justin Smith is a FREAK.

I was also thinking about the defensive changes the Packers made against the Bears, do you think they held out their best hand against the 49ers to not show them their best team thinking we will see them in the playoffs? There was just so many defensive changes that were made it got me to thinking why all these changes were made after just one week. It would make sense to me especially after reading what a Giants fan posted on the boards about how he thought that the Giants playing the 49ers last year really helped Eli because he knew the 49ers D better.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it is of my belief that the Packers have the BEST WE core in the NFL. I also think the Lions have a very powerful offense and WR core. So how good is this 49'ers secondary? I know it's only 2 games, but holy crap does that team scare me right now... they've now completely locked down two of the NFL's top scoring offenses.

The part that bothers me is aside from having a terrific pass rush and run-stopping defense, their secondary now looks amazing. On more than one occasion I witnessed the 49'ers blitz the house and all of their LB's, and more than once both Rodgers and Stafford had a good pocket despite this and still fail to find an open receiver. I just don't see how that is possible against talented WR's like we have, especially in 4-5 WR sets. How does that happen?!

Hard to judge their continuity based on the next game since they are playing the terrible Vikings, but with the way they have played thus far I just hope there is some blue print for the Packers to defeat them come playoff time. Your thoughts?

In a nutshell NO. If you watch the Niners you see Bowman and Willis in coverage alot and do you know why they can affort to drop these guy's into coverage? because their d-line can win one on one mathups so they can afford to keep two high safties and use Willis and Bowman to erase any underneath stuff.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not sure we are firing on all cylinders just yet.

When we meet them again in January, we shall see.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure we are firing on all cylinders just yet.

When we meet them again in January, we shall see.

I guaranteed you if they played a team who could run the ball against their front four you would see them give up alot more passing yards. The blueprint to beating them is to use screens and quick passes. If this was our formula we would have beat them.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
In a nutshell NO. If you watch the Niners you see Bowman and Willis in coverage alot and do you know why they can affort to drop these guy's into coverage? because their d-line can win one on one mathups so they can afford to keep two high safties and use Willis and Bowman to erase any underneath stuff.

Actually I think it is because they can cover

I watched the game yesterday and they kept stating how they are the best covering LB in the league

H

HardRightEdge

Behind the physical facade of the 49er team lies a lot of ticky-tacky.

Their secondary and LBs are highly effective in pushing, nudging, grabbing, bumping just enough to get the job done. Not flagrant enough to get caught very often but enough to limit separation. Everybody does it, so it's a matter of degree, and SF scores high on this count. Still and all, a darn good coverage unit that is well coordinated and doesn't make many mistakes.

On the offensive side of the ball, to extend the ticky-tack theme, they ran a lot of picks, often when they needed a play. The Pack runs picks, more often than not around the goal line, but not as often as SF or as seemingly well-practiced. Again, a matter of degree.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all - since the day of my birth I had heard my grandfather and father bellow over and over again that if the Packers would just run a screen pass or run a naked bootleg, we would have won the game. BALONEY! Those plays work well because they are used in moderation, not because they are the greatest plays ever designed.

The 49ers are a great defense. They are what the Ravens and Bears were years ago. Now that their offense is playing better they can play from an even greater position of power, gearing up for the come-from-behind passing attacks. Anyone who doubts the players or the scheme just needs to sit down and re-watch game film. The 49ers defense is for real. They often only put five guys in the box to stop the run, and do so effectively, dropping seven into coverage. That's how you kill opposing offenses. This can only be done with top talent, which they have at every level.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They also are smart, smart coaching staff that studies opponent's offenses very well and understands their tendencies. And they pass it along to their defense.

So what needs to happen is McCarthy and the offensed (if we meet again), will have to have some new, unscouted stuff cooked up, and we need to run & execute it well. It's that simple.

Yes those guys tackle well, and cover well (the LBers cover well, their DB's are pretty good in coverage).
Let's see how healthy they are. If they lose a couple of DBs like the Giants did, they could be exposed more.

Those DBs do tackle well, and they are strong. We always seem to have weakling DBs like Shields, House, Tramon, very thin wirey guys, not strong tacklers, don't intimidate anyone.

Members online

Latest posts