Re-match Pack vs Vikings

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Merriam-Webster defines a traitor as: "One who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty".

Packer fans trusted him not to taint our memories of a great 16 year career. What made Brett magical to me was that I thought he held himself to a higher standard than other NFL players. I bought into the country boy who just loved to play the game spiel like everyone else did. And it breaks my heart to find out that he was really just as selfish and petty as the Ochocincos and T.O.s in the league.

The messy break up was difficult to be a part of, but I didn't begrudge him for wanting to play football, and yes, alot of great football players end their careers with another team. I cheered for him when he played for the Jets, to me there was nothing wrong with that.

But he made a conscious decision to play for his fans most hated team. Knowing full well he would alienate the fan base that lived and died with him. The fans who bought his jerseys and cheered for him. He manipulated the system by holding the Jets hostage with his giant salary. Then lied to everyone about his interest in playing for the Vikes. Now he expects us to "get over it"??

That is why he is a traitor. If he was truly just playing for the love of the game, he would play for someone else. period. This was his decision, not ours.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Merriam-Webster defines a traitor as: "One who betrays another's trust or is false to an obligation or duty".

Packer fans trusted him not to taint our memories of a great 16 year career. What made Brett magical to me was that I thought he held himself to a higher standard than other NFL players. I bought into the country boy who just loved to play the game spiel like everyone else did. And it breaks my heart to find out that he was really just as selfish and petty as the Ochocincos and T.O.s in the league.

The messy break up was difficult to be a part of, but I didn't begrudge him for wanting to play football, and yes, alot of great football players end their careers with another team. I cheered for him when he played for the Jets, to me there was nothing wrong with that.

But he made a conscious decision to play for his fans most hated team. Knowing full well he would alienate the fan base that lived and died with him. The fans who bought his jerseys and cheered for him. He manipulated the system by holding the Jets hostage with his giant salary. Then lied to everyone about his interest in playing for the Vikes. Now he expects us to "get over it"??

That is why he is a traitor. If he was truly just playing for the love of the game, he would play for someone else. period. This was his decision, not ours.

You forget one MAJOR thing ... "Trust" goes both ways ... as does the defintion of a "Traitor" ...

If you are calling Favre a "traitor" ... by that same definition ... so are *YOU* ... (based on what you are writing actually) ...

I'm not saying you are, however don't use that term as loose as you do ..., because half the NFL is composed by "Traitors" then ... Every Free Agent would be a "traitor" in your book ...

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To call any player a "Traitor" for playing for another team is pure ludicrous ... - Look around the league ... and the Free Agency over the past 10 seasons ...

IF a player is cut or traded away because a team doesn't want him, they are not "traitors", but merely either "washed up" or "unwanted" ...

However IF a player actually wants to sign on with another team, then just because of the "whim" of some fans, they are suddenly "traitors" ?

I'm sorry, but that is sheer hypocricy ... America, more than any other nation in the world has been the "catalyst" for "liberalism" both in it's best and worst forms ... And ofcourse that will also affect the "movement" of "labour" ... In this case several players NOT playing on any given team, where they have played for most of their respective careers ...

Ofcourse there will always be sentiments and feelings involved when some players with charisma and skill manages to win over ANY fan base and those (some) fans WILL always be affected emotionally ... just like in this case ...

But to call anyone a "traitor" is pure folly ... The days where players actually "end" a "long" career with the team they "initially" sign on with in their (very) early years of their careers is pretty much over ... - Especially with the cap-situation being changed in the future, you WILL see ALOT more free agency than ever before ...

IF those fans who always claim and accuse certain players for being traitors were indeed as "hard-core" / "die-hard" (TEAM) fans as they say they are ... they would NOT make such a big deal out of it, because it's the TEAM, right ? - If it is the TEAM, then how come (any) single player is able to "stir" up so much commotioin that it has (any) fanbase split over it ? Because afterall ... if it were "only" the "TEAM", then those same fans, would just accept facts and move on ... - However, yet here we are ...

Most people (not just Packer fans) who are having problems with this understand that that this is not just the normal changing teams that goes on all the time. Favre was with the Pack for 16 years, had a street named after him, was a God in GB, would have probably had a statue. What you are not getting is not the fact that he left, or the even that he specifically wanted to play for the Vikes just so he could trash GB. It was the way he went about it, the "maneuvering". Many can see that he more than likely created the whole mess just to make it as hard as he could for Green Bay players as well as mgmt. If he had just left, it would look bad on him, so he had to make it look like they "didn't want him". Who do you think begged him not to retire in 05 and 06? Who agreed to take him back in April, starting job and all? He knew it would be hard enough for Rodgers stepping into his shadow, but that wasn't good enough. He had to turn it up a notch, just in case the team acually did survive without him. Don't even compare the situation to players like Montana who was injured for a year and 1/2 and then was asked to be backup. That situation was not CREATED by either side. This one was created by Brett.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Most people (not just Packer fans) who are having problems with this understand that that this is not just the normal changing teams that goes on all the time. Favre was with the Pack for 16 years, had a street named after him, was a God in GB, would have probably had a statue. What you are not getting is not the fact that he left, or the even that he specifically wanted to play for the Vikes just so he could trash GB. It was the way he went about it, the "maneuvering". Many can see that he more than likely created the whole mess just to make it as hard as he could for Green Bay players as well as mgmt. If he had just left, it would look bad on him, so he had to make it look like they "didn't want him". Who do you think begged him not to retire in 05 and 06? Who agreed to take him back in April, starting job and all? He knew it would be hard enough for Rodgers stepping into his shadow, but that wasn't good enough. He had to turn it up a notch, just in case the team acually did survive without him. Don't even compare the situation to players like Montana who was injured for a year and 1/2 and then was asked to be backup. That situation was not CREATED by either side. This one was created by Brett.

I think there has been enough of the "banter" about who's to blame ...

- Both sides could have handled the situation better, I'm not detesting that, however ... - But to say Favre was the "Mastermind" is far-fetched at best ... Personally I don't buy into most of the "hype" (created by the media) ... There are always 2 sides to a story ... and most likely none of us will ever know the full extent of that "story" untill several years from now ... - All though I do have another perspective, I'm more inclined to agree with than others, however it is not up to me to judge.

If people want to play the "Blame-game" such as it seems some are wanting ... - You should infact be blaming yourself ... Not Favre, not Ted Thomson ... Blame the fans (on both sides) who are taking this way out of proportion and don't forget the Media as well ... More than anyone the Media are the ones who have really made this story ... Some times you need to take what you read with a grain of salt ...

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
You forget one MAJOR thing ... "Trust" goes both ways ... as does the defintion of a "Traitor" ...

If you are calling Favre a "traitor" ... by that same definition ... so are *YOU* ... (based on what you are writing actually) ...

I'm not saying you are, however don't use that term as loose as you do ..., because half the NFL is composed by "Traitors" then ... Every Free Agent would be a "traitor" in your book ...

How so? Name us one free agent that played for a team as long as Brett..Name one free agent that said they want to retire for that said team...

I do have to ask, what is it with all "your" quote "marks"?

Honestly it distracts from your posts for me..I am concentrating more on those "marks" then your "actual" postings..

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there has been enough of the "banter" about who's to blame ...

- Both sides could have handled the situation better, I'm not detesting that, however ... - But to say Favre was the "Mastermind" is far-fetched at best ... Personally I don't buy into most of the "hype" (created by the media) ... There are always 2 sides to a story ... and most likely none of us will ever know the full extent of that "story" untill several years from now ... - All though I do have another perspective, I'm more inclined to agree with than others, however it is not up to me to judge.

If people want to play the "Blame-game" such as it seems some are wanting ... - You should infact be blaming yourself ... Not Favre, not Ted Thomson ... Blame the fans (on both sides) who are taking this way out of proportion and don't forget the Media as well ... More than anyone the Media are the ones who have really made this story ... Some times you need to take what you read with a grain of salt ...

And just who do you think is running the show, Favre, or the media? I think people would have to be pretty gullible not to know that Favre and Cook "feed" most of the crap to the media. Just when things start dying down a bit some little tidbit will pop up again. His buddy Mariucci will be on with him on Sunday again, picking and choosing which great things we should be privy to just in case some other QB might want to get some press.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget to watch his interview with his pal Mariucci on Sunday morning so you can watch him trying to suck up to Green Bay fans before he comes on the field Sun afternoon. We will get to hear him say Brett Favre this, and Brett Favre that. I know I will be up all night waiting, oh the exitement of it all. Boooooooooooooooooo

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget to watch his interview with his pal Mariucci on Sunday morning so you can watch him trying to suck up to Green Bay fans before he comes on the field Sun afternoon. We will get to hear him say Brett Favre this, and Brett Favre that. I know I will be up all night waiting, oh the exitement of it all. Boooooooooooooooooo

Can I watch it on NFL.com?

Cartunist23

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That makes alot of sense. Considering I just said that I rooted for him when he played for the Jets. I'ts not about him playing for a team that isn't the packers. It's about him playing for a rival, and certainly not by accident. When I try to think of players, in any sport, who meant as much to their teams as favre did, and then switched sides... I can't come up with many.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That makes alot of sense. Considering I just said that I rooted for him when he played for the Jets. I'ts not about him playing for a team that isn't the packers. It's about him playing for a rival, and certainly not by accident. When I try to think of players, in any sport, who meant as much to their teams as favre did, and then switched sides... I can't come up with many.

Most who switched sides after that long were way different circumstances not of their own creation as in the Joe Montana example I just gave. He got hurt, didn't play for over a year, Young took over. No one's fault. In Favre's case he 1) wanted to play for Minnesota 2) wanted to cause as much disruption in the team as possible because, child that he is, he did not want them to do well without him.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The example are two differnet people. Montana moved because he wasnt needed and he lost he starting job to Steve Young, Brett Favre moved because he wants to play although he has retired twice already.

Exactly my point. Montana's situation was no one's fault. Injurys happen. Favre's situation was created by Favre alone. Besides, Favre didn't just want to play, he wanted to play for the Vikings.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most who switched sides after that long were way different circumstances not of their own creation as in the Joe Montana example I just gave. He got hurt, didn't play for over a year, Young took over. No one's fault. In Favre's case he 1) wanted to play for Minnesota 2) wanted to cause as much disruption in the team as possible because, child that he is, he did not want them to do well without him.
poor baby. So far it is Brett Favre 1 and GB Packers 0:happy0005:

MP18

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand all of this talk about Favre being a traitor.
First I am a Viking fan so everyone can tell me to you know what and that is cool.
I see the whole Favre situation as just bad management.
I mean you guys (and gals) have had Favre as your QB for what 16 or 17 years straight right? You never had to worry about drafting someone else to start, just to backup. I mean the backup was important but in the end you did not need him.
Now would you like for me to list all the crappy QBs the Vikings had in that time span?
Talk about spoiled fans.
You benefited from this guy lasting all those years and so you should have had to deal with his waffling about retirement which IMHO was only an excuse not to go to all of these off season "voluntary" mini camps so he can get in synch with his receivers.
Please, the guy played long enough not to have to go to these at all.
If anybody on the team complains then let them play that long, at that level, and then they can skip all of that stuff too.
Plus he wanted Thompson to get Moss but he wouldnt.
That sure was a smart move (I am still mad the bonehead Viking front office trading him for nothing).
Give the guy a WR he wants.
Unfortunately he put in enough time to make a few demands.
But Thompson decided it was enough.
Now getting Rodgers was a good move and Rodgers has benefitted from being brought up the old school way where you sit on the bench for 3 years before playing.
I am not saying he still would not be as good as he is which I think he is one of the best QBs right now.
I do not blame Thompson for not releasing him and keeping him from the Vikings.
He had to do that even though Brett did not like it.
Brett made a good point though when he said "if I am not good enough to play for you then just let me go".
That sounds fair until you consider how much better he was than the crappy Viking QBs.

I could see why he just wanted to go to a team where he thought they were almost there. the Jets did not appear to be as good as the Vikings before he was traded there.
He may want to stick it Thompson but I just think he wants to win another Super Bowl somehow someway.
I guess I just do not put as much into it as you fans.
Still you reaped the rewards so now you have to suffer the fate of having play for you rival.
You still have Rodgers who is damn good.
Unfortunately, Thompson failed to address the offensive line this offseason and drafted BJ Raji after drafting Harrell a few years ago.
I would have taken Michael Oher with that first pick.
Now I am no Favre fan.
I did not hate him when he use to kick our butts.
Havin him on the Vikings is like having Larry Bird on the Lakers or Majic Johnson on the Celtics.
It is weird and doesnt feel right.
There is not really much joy.
Sure I like the Vikings to win but deep down I know he belongs ont eh Packers and should have retired a Packer forever kicking the Vikings butts.
Much to my chagrin.
When the first game was played in the dome, if you watch the game again (somehow), watch when Favre is on the sideline watching the defense.
It sure looks like he is looking over at the green and gold sideline and probably feeling like he got deported or something.
He has this look in his eyes (like a longing or something).
It could be my imagination but I am sure he did not feel right.
All I can say is that it is "sad" that it could not be worked out in GB.
Now since this is a game day thread, I hope that you are considering attacking our lousy secondary and not trying to run the ball.
I mean I would like the Vikings to win no doubt but I can be objective and say what I would do if I was another team.
Good luck and QUIT HATIN' on Favre!
It is just a game and the jokeis on all of us because he is getting 12 mil to play.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not understand all of this talk about Favre being a traitor.
First I am a Viking fan so everyone can tell me to you know what and that is cool.
I see the whole Favre situation as just bad management.
I mean you guys (and gals) have had Favre as your QB for what 16 or 17 years straight right? You never had to worry about drafting someone else to start, just to backup. I mean the backup was important but in the end you did not need him.
Now would you like for me to list all the crappy QBs the Vikings had in that time span?
Talk about spoiled fans.
You benefited from this guy lasting all those years and so you should have had to deal with his waffling about retirement which IMHO was only an excuse not to go to all of these off season "voluntary" mini camps so he can get in synch with his receivers.
Please, the guy played long enough not to have to go to these at all.
If anybody on the team complains then let them play that long, at that level, and then they can skip all of that stuff too.
Plus he wanted Thompson to get Moss but he wouldnt.
That sure was a smart move (I am still mad the bonehead Viking front office trading him for nothing).
Give the guy a WR he wants.
Unfortunately he put in enough time to make a few demands.
But Thompson decided it was enough.
Now getting Rodgers was a good move and Rodgers has benefitted from being brought up the old school way where you sit on the bench for 3 years before playing.
I am not saying he still would not be as good as he is which I think he is one of the best QBs right now.
I do not blame Thompson for not releasing him and keeping him from the Vikings.
He had to do that even though Brett did not like it.
Brett made a good point though when he said "if I am not good enough to play for you then just let me go".
That sounds fair until you consider how much better he was than the crappy Viking QBs.

I could see why he just wanted to go to a team where he thought they were almost there. the Jets did not appear to be as good as the Vikings before he was traded there.
He may want to stick it Thompson but I just think he wants to win another Super Bowl somehow someway.
I guess I just do not put as much into it as you fans.
Still you reaped the rewards so now you have to suffer the fate of having play for you rival.
You still have Rodgers who is damn good.
Unfortunately, Thompson failed to address the offensive line this offseason and drafted BJ Raji after drafting Harrell a few years ago.
I would have taken Michael Oher with that first pick.
Now I am no Favre fan.
I did not hate him when he use to kick our butts.
Havin him on the Vikings is like having Larry Bird on the Lakers or Majic Johnson on the Celtics.
It is weird and doesnt feel right.
There is not really much joy.
Sure I like the Vikings to win but deep down I know he belongs ont eh Packers and should have retired a Packer forever kicking the Vikings butts.
Much to my chagrin.
When the first game was played in the dome, if you watch the game again (somehow), watch when Favre is on the sideline watching the defense.
It sure looks like he is looking over at the green and gold sideline and probably feeling like he got deported or something.
He has this look in his eyes (like a longing or something).
It could be my imagination but I am sure he did not feel right.
All I can say is that it is "sad" that it could not be worked out in GB.
Now since this is a game day thread, I hope that you are considering attacking our lousy secondary and not trying to run the ball.
I mean I would like the Vikings to win no doubt but I can be objective and say what I would do if I was another team.
Good luck and QUIT HATIN' on Favre!
It is just a game and the jokeis on all of us because he is getting 12 mil to play.
Yeah, what he said

Members online

Latest posts