Rank your QB's

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go ahead and rank em. Favre is currently 3 behind Brady and P. Manning.
I ranked him # 1 of course. I am a bit biased though.

ESPN QB Rank

My God. They actually ask if Tom Brady is better than P Manning? Does anyone think otherwise nowadays?

I think all time, I'll take Favre, but this year, Brady, P Manning, Favre, Romo.

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to put Romo in the top 5. Mostly because of the team he plays on. Dallass is the team I hate most in the NFL. Always have and always will. Too bad Romo didn't end up on a team that I don't dislike as much then he would have been # 4. Dallass deserves Grossman.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't bring myself to put Romo in the top 5. Mostly because of the team he plays on. Dallass is the team I hate most in the NFL. Always have and always will. Too bad Romo didn't end up on a team that I don't dislike as much then he would have been # 4. Dallass deserves Grossman.

Dallas does deserve Grossman. And I feel the same way. I hate Dallas (and the Colts) more than anyone else. It was painful writing a nice thing about a Dallas QB.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this will seem way out but the way Peyton's a bit off this year I might actually go Brady, Romo Favre Manning but maybe that's based to much on stats. I don't think Romo could do what Favre;s doing with this team

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year it is Brady Manning Favre Romo B. Roth....

All the years before this (post Favre MVP's) and all the years after, Manning will be better than Brady...funny how easy people forget how supremely awesome Peyton Manning has been the past few years just because of the year that Brady's having...I guarantee you that Brady will never have another year half as amazing as this, while Manning will continue to put him +100 qb rating years year in year out. And Favre does it without an absolutely dominating offensive line like the pats and colts have, and without future H.O.F. receivers

mi_keys

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this will seem way out but the way Peyton's a bit off this year I might actually go Brady, Romo Favre Manning but maybe that's based to much on stats. I don't think Romo could do what Favre;s doing with this team

I don't think Brady, Manning, or Romo could do what Favre has done in his shoes. For one none of them are ever hit so I don't think they could do what Favre does with a separated shoulder or a strained right elbow and with some of the pressure Favre has faced. Don't get me wrong, I think our line does a good job, but the protection Brady and Manning get is just ridiculous and Romo's protection is better than Favre's (though not to the same extent as Manning or Favre). None of them played without a competent run game for seven weeks. Favre has also been able to produce even when he's been missing weapons (such as when Jennings was out and not having Franks) and when his line has been banged up. We all saw how Manning struggled when he didn't have Harrison. So yeah, Brady, Manning, and Romo are great quarterbacks and what they do is outstanding, but in spite of all their skills, I don't feel they could have the same success Favre has had this year if they were in his position.

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Romo belongs in the top 10. Not just because I hate the cows but because he hasn't shown he can continue at this level. He has had what....about 1.5 seasons? Give him a few more seasons. If he continues to play well (especially without a great O-line) then I may break him into the top 5.

Favre on the other hand has continued to prove he can get it done over the long haul. Same with Manning.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just cannot take any more of the Brady overhype. If any of those top 10 listed, probably more, were in the Patriots QB position, they would be doing just as well. You know who Randy Moss made look good? Daunte Culpepper. Seriously. If anyone looks at Brady's numbers before this year, they are above average, but not first.

Also, why no one mentioned the second coming, Aaron Rodgers cracked the top 30? Destined for greatness? I think so.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Romo belongs in the top 10. Not just because I hate the cows but because he hasn't shown he can continue at this level. He has had what....about 1.5 seasons? Give him a few more seasons. If he continues to play well (especially without a great O-line) then I may break him into the top 5.

Favre on the other hand has continued to prove he can get it done over the long haul. Same with Manning.

Are you serious????

19 td's in 10 games last year...35 in 13 this year. 35 touchdowns!!!! And that's with losing Terry Glenn, their no. 2 receiver. You can't tell me this guy isn't a top 5 qb, let alone a top 10! He's a great improviser, has a very good arm, and can fit the ball into tight spaces (Favre-esque). He's not Brett, but he's a damn good quarterback. He's already had the best year ever for a QB quarterback (regular season, anyways), and that's saying something.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mi_keys said:

I don't think Brady, Manning, or Romo could do what Favre has done in his shoes. For one none of them are ever hit so I don't think they could do what Favre does with a separated shoulder or a strained right elbow and with some of the pressure Favre has faced. Don't get me wrong, I think our line does a good job, but the protection Brady and Manning get is just ridiculous and Romo's protection is better than Favre's (though not to the same extent as Manning or Favre). None of them played without a competent run game for seven weeks. Favre has also been able to produce even when he's been missing weapons (such as when Jennings was out and not having Franks) and when his line has been banged up. We all saw how Manning struggled when he didn't have Harrison. So yeah, Brady, Manning, and Romo are great quarterbacks and what they do is outstanding, but in spite of all their skills, I don't feel they could have the same success Favre has had this year if they were in his position.

I couldn't agree with you more. I think Brady, Mannig and Romo as well as Rothlessberger are all outstanding qb's. Other than one game this year, Brett has played at a level far superior to the other QB's based on what he has surrounding him. Who are we kidding? That offensive line is closer to being putrid than it is to being good. Grant looks like the real deal but it took most of the season to get him acclimated. Brett has once again turned no names into names because of his accuracy and ability to read defenses. Favre is simply amazing and in my mind, clearly the best QB in the league this year.

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:

Are you serious????

19 td's in 10 games last year...35 in 13 this year. 35 touchdowns!!!! And that's with losing Terry Glenn, their no. 2 receiver. You can't tell me this guy isn't a top 5 qb, let alone a top 10! He's a great improviser, has a very good arm, and can fit the ball into tight spaces (Favre-esque). He's not Brett, but he's a damn good quarterback. He's already had the best year ever for a QB quarterback (regular season, anyways), and that's saying something.

Yes, I am serious. Look at the guidelines they judged the QBs by. One was I believe how long they had been doing their thing. Give him another season or 2 at his current level and I would move him up. No doubt he looks good now. I would like to see him during a season where the team is struggling with some injuries to their O line and not just missing a number 2 receiver. A # 2 receiver?? Who cares? Try it with his # 1 missing like Manning has this last half season. Or try it with no running game to speak of and only one quality receiver like Favre has many times. He has had a solid team around him his whole short career. I think most of the top 15 could do just as well given the team he has to work with.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerfan4Life said:
DGB454 said:

Are you serious????

Yes, I am serious. Look at the guidelines they judged the QBs by. One was I believe how long they had been doing their thing. Give him another season or 2 at his current level and I would move him up. No doubt he looks good now. I would like to see him during a season where the team is struggling with some injuries to their O line and not just missing a number 2 receiver. A # 2 receiver?? Who cares? Try it with his # 1 missing like Manning has this last half season. Or try it with no running game to speak of and only one quality receiver like Favre has many times. He has had a solid team around him his whole short career. I think most of the top 15 could do just as well given the team he has to work with.

There were no guidelines, just at what level each quarterback is playing this year. You say "no doubt he looks good now"....is if he is supposed to decline the more acclimated he gets to the game? And missing a number 2 receiver is a big deal. Crayton is an okay no. 3 receiver but definately not a number 2, so defenses can key on T.O. and Romo still gets the ball to his playmakers and spreads the ball around evenly to his backs, TE's, and his wideouts. He's playing on par with Favre, Manning, and Brady, I really don't know how you can take away from what he's been doing this year...did you see him against the Packers? Granted we were without Woodson, but if T.O. didn't have that drop in the end zone, Romo would have gone for 300+ yards and 5 TD's instead of the 4 TD's and 1 int like he did. And boo hoo that Peyton loses Marvin Harrison, he has the best no. 2 receiver in the league with Reggie Wayne who's a top 10 receiver in the NFL, arguably top 7 or 8. I know Romo's a cowboy and we're supposed to hate all things non-packer, but just watch the kid play! He's had 7 straight games with a 100+ rating, and led a comeback against the Lions with 2 minutes on the clock and no timeouts. The only thing he has to do now is win in the playoffs and he'll get the respect he deserves. Don't get me wrong, GB is my team and Favre is my quarterback, and I'll take Favre over Romo anyday, but to say that theres 15 quarterbacks in the NFL that could do what Romo is doing right now is just ridiculous.

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Should have posted this at the same time.

These guys had guidlines and I half heartedly tried to follow some of them.

At first, ranking the starting and backup QBs didn't seem like a daunting task. After a two-hour conference call in which we debated the young guns versus the veterans, the backups versus some starters, and what in the world to do with the rookies who haven't played much yet, we learned it is a very difficult job.

More QBs

FUTURE CONTROVERSY: John Clayton identifies the top five QB competitions heading into 2008. Story
YOU RANK 'EM: Agree or disagree with Scouts Inc.'s rankings? Here's your chance to rank the league's top 32 QBs. Ranker
WHO'S NEXT: Scouts Inc. draft expert Todd McShay profiles the top 10 quarterbacks entering the 2008 draft. ZOOM Gallery
COMING THURSDAY: Asked to evaluate 11 young starters, a group of NFL experts singled out Denver's Jay Cutler as most likely to reach elite status. Also, Hall of Famer Steve Young assesses each young QB in a video report.

The hardest part was deciding how to rank them. Do we look at just this year? Do we look at their careers and their body of work? We decided it would be a mixture of the two, that we couldn't completely ignore a veteran with a history of great success having a subpar year.

About the only thing we agreed on was that Tom Brady was No. 1 and Peyton Manning was No. 2. From there, the first debate came, with some feeling that Tony Romo was right there with those two, but we eventually decided Romo was No. 4, behind Brady, Manning and Brett Favre. The top 10 was very difficult after we got through the top five. In that second group of QBs, Carson Palmer, Drew Brees and Donovan McNabb have all had a ton of success but have struggled at times this season due to different circumstances. The other QBs who were tough to place were the guys who are having success as first-time starters. David Garrard and Derek Anderson have both played very well, and we think they will continue to ascend. The rookies were tough to place, but we thought they should be ranked higher (based on upside) than some retread-type backups.

The one thing that was very noticeable from this list is that the future of the QB position looks bright with young players like Garrard, Anderson, Jay Cutler, Vince Young, Philip Rivers, Eli Manning and Jason Campbell taking their games to the next level.

1. Tom Brady

Starter, New England Patriots
Brady is a future Hall of Fame QB who is having a career season. He leads the NFL in touchdowns and completion percentage and has a league-best QB rating of 123.4. There is no longer a debate over who the best QB in the NFL is -- Brady has moved ahead of Manning.

2. Peyton Manning

Starter, Indianapolis Colts
Like Brady, Manning is a future Hall of Fame QB. There is not a QB in the NFL who studies the game as much as Manning, and he is one of the best competitors to play QB. Despite losing several key players to injuries this season, Manning has still completed 64 percent of his passes and thrown for 27 TDs.

3. Brett Favre

Starter, Green Bay Packers
He will be a first-ballot Hall of Famer. At 38, he is still playing at a high level, and it looks as if he may be able to play into his 40s. There is no denying his arm strength, and Favre is still able to make all the throws. Favre is doing a great job this season making every player on the offense better.

4. Tony Romo

Starter, Dallas Cowboys
He is a young gunslinger who reminds a lot of people of a young Favre, and Romo shows no fear in the pocket. He is mentally tough and shows an excellent ability to bounce back when he makes mistakes. He is a big reason the Cowboys have the best record in the NFC.

5. Ben Roethlisberger

Starter, Pittsburgh Steelers
Roethlisberger is a young QB who struggled last season, but he is healthy this year and is having a solid season. New offensive coordinator Bruce Arians has given him more responsibility, and Roethlisberger has responded with improved leadership. He's making better decisions and is completing a career-high 66.9 percent of his passes this season.

6. Carson Palmer

Starter, Cincinnati Bengals
This hasn't been Palmer's best season, but he still has all the tools you'd want in a QB. Playing behind a decimated offensive line, Palmer has thrown 17 interceptions and has struggled to lead this underachieving football team. Still, he is unquestionably one of the most talented QBs in the league.

7. Matt Hasselbeck

Starter, Seattle Seahawks
Coach Mike Holmgren has put much more pressure on Hasselbeck this season, and he has responded by playing very well. He is a rhythm passer who can be a little streaky, but he is very good at running Holmgren's West Coast offense. He is an excellent leader, and it's no coincidence that once Hasselbeck became the focus of the offense, the Seahawks won five straight and clinched their fourth straight NFC West title.

8. Drew Brees

Starter, New Orleans Saints
After a great 2006 season, Brees has struggled some this year behind a shaky offensive line and a running game that is missing starting RB Deuce McAllister. Brees has been forced to carry too much of the load this season, and though he is a very good QB, he is not the type of player who can carry a team without solid weapons around him.

9. Donovan McNabb

Starter, Philadelphia Eagles
When healthy, McNabb has shown that he can still be an elite starting QB. The problem is that he has rarely been healthy, and the last time he played a 16-game season was 2003. McNabb may be trade bait this offseason, but he still has some solid years left.

10. David Garrard

Starter, Jacksonville Jaguars
There were a lot of questions concerning Garrard when the Jaguars released Byron Leftwich at the start of the season, but he has proven his ability as a quarterback in the NFL. He benefits from a strong running game, but his decision-making has been superb (he has just one interception in 274 attempts this year), he's completing nearly 66 percent of his passes and his QB rating is third, trailing only Brady and Romo.

11. Jay Cutler

Starter, Denver Broncos
Easily one of the most impressive young quarterbacks in the NFL. He is a natural fit in coach Mike Shanahan's West Coast offense. He is a smart, instinctive player with a gunslinger mentality. He has a big-time arm that Shanahan loves, and he plays with a calm demeanor in the pocket. He is a young player who is only going to get better the more his plays.

12. Derek Anderson

Starter, Cleveland Browns
Without a doubt, he has made a name for himself and a lot of money in the future based on his performance in offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski's system since taking over as the starter in the second game of the season. Anderson has one of the stronger arms in the NFL, which has allowed the Browns to attack all levels in the passing game. He is a prototypical pocket passer with average to above-average accuracy in the short and intermediate areas in the passing game.

13. Marc Bulger

Injured starter, St. Louis Rams
Bulger has struggled this season behind a shaky offensive line and has missed time with a rib injury and a concussion. When healthy, he has played very well. He does not possess great size or arm strength but is an accurate QB and a great fit in coach Scott Linehan's offensive system.

14. Jeff Garcia

Starter, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Garcia is a perfect fit for coach Jon Gruden's version of the West Coast passing attack. He is highly competitive and can still move around in the pocket with good accuracy in short and intermediate areas. He doesn't have a big-time arm, but he does a great job when throwing in rhythm to spots on the field.

15. Vince Young

Starter, Tennessee Titans
Young is an intriguing young player who places a lot of pressure on opposing defenses with his outstanding athleticism, arm strength and ability to scramble and make plays with his legs. He hasn't had as much success this season because offensive coordinator Norm Chow's game plans haven't always taken advantage of Young's strengths as much as they did last season. That said, Young is still far from the finished product, especially as a passer, but he will continue to improve the more he plays.

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were no guidelines, just at what level each quarterback is playing this year.

My mistake for not posting the write up. There were some loose guidelines for the ESPN contributing writters. I tried to follow those.

You say "no doubt he looks good now"....is if he is supposed to decline the more acclimated he gets to the game?
It's not unheard of. Quarterbacks are human like everyone else. Are you telling me that you have never seen a QB start strong and flounder?

And missing a number 2 receiver is a big deal. Crayton is an okay no. 3 receiver but definately not a number 2, so defenses can key on T.O. and Romo still gets the ball to his playmakers and spreads the ball around evenly to his backs, TE's, and his wideouts.
And that's because he has a solid team around him. #2 isn't that big of a deal with all the other weapons he has not to mention a solid running game.

He's playing on par with Favre, Manning, and Brady, I really don't know how you can take away from what he's been doing this year...did you see him against the Packers?

I'm not taking anything away from him. He is playing at a high level.
Yes I saw the Dallas and GB game and more than just a few other Dallas games. I'm just saying I want to see him when he doesn't have as much talent around him. That's when a great QB shines.

Granted we were without Woodson, but if T.O. didn't have that drop in the end zone, Romo would have gone for 300+ yards and 5 TD's instead of the 4 TD's and 1 int like he did.
If ? could have ? Didn't.

And boo hoo that Peyton loses Marvin Harrison, he has the best no. 2 receiver in the league with Reggie Wayne who's a top 10 receiver in the NFL, arguably top 7 or 8.

#1 receiver vs. #2 receiver. Big difference.

I know Romo's a cowboy and we're supposed to hate all things non-packer, but just watch the kid play! He's had 7 straight games with a 100+ rating, and led a comeback against the Lions with 2 minutes on the clock and no timeouts. The only thing he has to do now is win in the playoffs and he'll get the respect he deserves. Don't get me wrong, GB is my team and Favre is my quarterback, and I'll take Favre over Romo anyday, but to say that theres 15 quarterbacks in the NFL that could do what Romo is doing right now is just ridiculous.

We aren't suppose to hate all things not Packers. I rank Manning and Brady above Favre. People earn respect over time. No one just deserves it.

All I'm saying is give him some time and a little adversity and let's see.

I'm just not a Romosexual like a lot of others are.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Webster defines adversity as blowing your first playoff game with a botched hold and having that on your conscience for the entire offseason and having everyone doubt your big game ability and the ability to bounce back from what would be a career damaging incident for some quarterbacks.

2007 season: 35 td's, 14 ints, 3654 yards, 107.7 rating. Through 13 games. I'd say he overcame a little adversity

OP
OP
DGB454

DGB454

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DGB454 said:

Webster defines adversity as blowing your first playoff game with a botched hold and having that on your conscience for the entire offseason and having everyone doubt your big game ability and the ability to bounce back from what would be a career damaging incident for some quarterbacks.

2007 season: 35 td's, 14 ints, 3654 yards, 107.7 rating. Through 13 games. I'd say he overcame a little adversity

So that's all the adversity he ever faced? Then the kid has never faced adversity.

Give it a rest. I'm not here to argue Romo. I'm not changing my opinion and I don't think you will either.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packerfan4Life said:
DGB454 said:

So that's all the adversity he ever faced? Then the kid has never faced adversity.

Give it a rest. I'm not here to argue Romo. I'm not changing my opinion and I don't think you will either.

Fair enough. He looked like dogshit today.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here you go. Try the Question/Answer game to determine the best Quarterback ever.

1. Has your QB ever won 3 regular season MVPs?:

Brady- No, Manning - No, Romo - Not even close, Favre. CHECK

2. Does your QB hold the record for Most TD Passes, Most Yards Passing, Most Attempts, Most Completions, MOST WINS?:

Brady - No, Manning - No, Romo - Not even close, Favre all the above.

3. Does your QB hold the record for most consecutive starts, despite having triple the injuries (listed on injury report) of the other candidates?:

Brady - No, Manning - No, Romo - No, Favre - CHECK

4. Has your QB won a championship?:

Brady - Yes, Manning - Yes, Romo - HAHA, Favre - CHECK

You can ask questions all day, but at this point in time Favre is the answer to every question.

Therefore the ultimate question "Who is the best QB" - Favre is the right answer.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG all this brady love is making me sick. Give Manning Moss, Welker, Stallworth & the rest of that team. Put Favre on that team either. They would both do just as well. Put Brady on the Packers and i'd love to see him being compared to Grossman and all the other crap in the NFL.

Bottom line, Manning, Brady & Romo have arguably the 3 best receivers in the game as their #1 guys. Cant even debate it really as its not a fair debate. If the Pack signs Moss this offseason like we should have, Favre might be breaking Mannings records instead of Brady, we might be undefeated not the Pats and we might be the superbowl favorites instead of the Pats. One transaction changed everything this offseason. Im not trying to start something(TT fans, MM fans, Jennings fans, Jones fans), just talking.

Members online

Latest posts