Rank or MV10P

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rank our most valuable 10 players.
(Big difference between valuable and best.)

Before, we always would have Woodson at #3 or close.
Now? Not sure.
I still think against great teams, we need him. He's physical tackling RBs, and he forces turnovers.

I'll start with my list, and this is as of right now, present time:

1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Clay Matthews
  3. AJ Hawk
  4. Marshall Newhouse
  5. Tramon Williams
  6. Morgan Burnett
  7. Josh Sitton
  8. J-Mike Finley
  9. Randall Cobb
  10. Ryan Pickett
Now, the reason I have Newhouse so high is because with Bulaga and Sherrod done, he's super important and I hope we don't see evidence of this being right. If he goes out, Jared Allen will be running right past TJ Lang to Rodgers.

AJ Hawk is so important to us in the middle. Missing Bishop & DJ Smith already, Hawk is reliable and accountable. No he's not great, but he's good, and very important to us considering Brad Jones is the other starter at ILB and he's not really an ILB.

Tramon is very important as he covers the best and big WRs.
Burnett is very important back there with the other 2 safeties being so young & inexperienced... if we lost Burnett right now, I think there'd be leaks back there like an old roof.

Josh Sitton is playing pretty well. He's good.
And if he got hurt, we'd go from strength to weakness there and it would have ramifications to our run and pass game.

Finley & the WR's are tricky.

We are so damn deep at WR it's hard to say any ONE of them is THAT valuable.
I mean our Super Bowl run just 2 years ago, the starting 2 were Jennings & Jordy.
Most of this year, our top 2 have been Cobb & Jones.

Finley has not done that great, but he's had some big catches, and he does command a lot of attention on defense. I feel the dropoff from him to the next best TE would be significant, at least in the way teams defend us. It would run off on the other WRs and the running game.

I know it's a passing game now, but Ryan Pickett inside against the run is a great run-stuffer & block-eater.
That guy gets less credit & recognition than anyone else on our team period.
On 4th & less than a yard, or 3rd & less than a yard, he's critical. I love Big Grease.

Rodgers is obvious, but Matthews better be too.
Without him, we're terrible at getting to the QB and that means our pass defense suffers.
With him? Oh my........ he's flatout great and I pray he has the longevity with us as his dad and uncle did.

By the way, I would have had Desmond Bishop at about #8 or 9 I think.
And I would have had Woodson at #3.

But the other young DBs, at least with Matthews and a healthy Michael Neal up front, have played great.

I thought Jennings was a top-10 valuable player.
And I though Jordy was.
That's how great our WR corps are.... imagine if all 4 of those guys are healthy when we have our first playoff game in 16-17 days!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Rank our most valuable 10 players.

1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Clay Matthews
  3. AJ Hawk
  4. Marshall Newhouse
  5. Tramon Williams
  6. Morgan Burnett
  7. Josh Sitton
  8. J-Mike Finley
  9. Randall Cobb
  10. Ryan Pickett
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Clay Matthews
  3. Marshall Newhouse
  4. Tramon Williams
  5. BJ Raji
  6. Morgan Burnett
  7. AJ Hawk
  8. Josh Sitton
  9. Tim Masthay
  10. Ryan Pickett
Most of the offensive skill players have been only OK or plug and play this season. Next man up.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hayward is rated as the best corner in the league and you dont have him in your top 10? SMH

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
!. Rodgers
2. Matthews
3. Cobb
4. Hayward
5. Sitton
6. Williams
7. James Jones (LEADS LEAGUE IN TDs and gets left off of peoples lists?)
8. Raji
9. Shields
10. Burnett

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
!. Rodgers
2. Matthews
3. Cobb
4. Hayward
5. Sitton
6. Williams
7. James Jones (LEADS LEAGUE IN TDs and gets left off of peoples lists?)
8. Raji
9. Shields
10. Burnett
If we lost James Jones, that would have less impact than if we lost AJ Hawk. Or Newhouse. Or Hayward who isn't even a starter.
Once again, no respect here for Hawk.

You want Brad Jones & Robert Francois as the 2 starting ILBers in the playoffs, against teams like the 49ers, Falcons, Seahawks, Redskins?

That'd be ugly for us. :eek:

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nickel man is becoming a major position these days. How often do we actually play base 3-4 anymore 2-4 is most of the snaps
True.
But Tramon, Shields, House, Woodson, even Bush.... that's 5 capable guys besides Hayward.
We have only one legit ILB on the roster now with Bishop & Smith on IR, and that's Hawk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lost James Jones, that would have less impact than if we lost AJ Hawk. Or Newhouse. Or Hayward who isn't even a starter.
Once again, no respect here for Hawk.

You want Brad Jones & Robert Francois as the 2 starting ILBers in the playoffs, against teams like the 49ers, Falcons, Seahawks, Redskins?

That'd be ugly for us. :eek:

I don't see a huge drop off from hawk. At best he is avg. he is good at staying healthy if I had to say something positive about him.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So importance is based on if they start then?

Hmm well then according to you Cobb and jones aren't important than either? Hmmmm
The easiest way to figure it out is "if we lost the player". That's why it's opinion, not fact.
I believe we'd be crippled a lot more losing Hawk than losing Hayward. Not close IMO.
Same with our WRs, even Cobb. We won the Super Bowl without Cobb. I think we'd still have the best WRs with Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Driver, Boykin.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see a huge drop off from hawk.
To who?
Terrell Manning who has never played ILB for us yet?
Robert Francois?

There is a huge dropoff. I'm not sure if you're serious..... if so, what a lack or respect for the former #5 overall pick, Pro Bowler.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The easiest way to figure it out is "if we lost the player". That's why it's opinion, not fact.
I believe we'd be crippled a lot more losing Hawk than losing Hayward. Not close IMO.
Same with our WRs, even Cobb. We won the Super Bowl without Cobb. I think we'd still have the best WRs with Jennings, Jordy, Jones, Driver, Boykin.

Please, let's not compare 2010 to now. Some of these players are shells of their former self. We could win the SB this season without Woodson but wouldn't have in 2010. Driver is on his last leg and Jennings hasn't been dominate since his injury.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
To who?
Robert Francois?

There is a huge dropoff. I'm not sure if you're serious..... if so, what a lack or respect for the former #5 overall pick, Pro Bowler.
to DJ Smith or Brad Jones? Also you forgot Lattimore

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To who?
Robert Francois?

Wasnt he the 6th linebacker for the NFC that year by default?

Derek Anderson was a pro bowler too. Not going to give him praise now bc of it but you are welcome to.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Please, let's not compare 2010 to now. Some of these players are shells of their former self. We could win the SB this season without Woodson but wouldn't have in 2010. Driver is on his last leg and Jennings hasn't been dominate since his injury.
Jennings doesn't have to dominate as long as Jordy, Jones, Finley are there.
We haven't seen much of the old Driver this year, but Boykin's future is bright, and he'd be the 4th or 5th option for Rodgers, if Cobb went out.

Hawk gets no respect from a few people, none. I find that disappointing.
If every Packer became a free agent, no other teams would even take any of our other ILB's right now besides Hawk.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings doesn't have to dominate as long as Jordy, Jones, Finley are there.
We haven't seen much of the old Driver this year, but Boykin's future is bright, and he'd be the 4th or 5th option for Rodgers, if Cobb went out.

Hawk gets no respect from a few people, none. I find that disappointing.
If every Packer became a free agent, no other teams would even take any of our other ILB's right now besides Hawk.

Would I have to include a fruit roll up for them to take hawk?

This deal you speak of intrigues me...

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Clay Matthews
  3. Marshall Newhouse
  4. Tramon Williams
  5. BJ Raji
  6. Morgan Burnett
  7. AJ Hawk
  8. Josh Sitton
  9. Tim Masthay
  10. Ryan Pickett
Most of the offensive skill players have been only OK or plug and play this season. Next man up.

1. Masthay
2. Masthay
3. Masthay
4. Masthay
5. Masthay
6. Masthay
7. Masthay
8. Masthay
9. Masthay
10. Masthay

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Masthay
2. Masthay
3. Masthay
4. Masthay
5. Masthay
6. Masthay
7. Masthay
8. Masthay
9. Masthay
10. Masthay
We don't even need to carry a punter on this team. Just let Rodgers use all 4 downs.

Funny, we used to have a Crosby-fanatic on the boards here.... what happened to that kicker?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Aaron Rodgers
  3. Aaron Rodgers
  4. Aaron Rodgers
  5. Aaron Rodgers
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Aaron Rodgers
  8. Aaron Rodgers
  9. Aaron Rodgers
  10. Clay Matthews

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
  1. Aaron Rodgers
  2. Aaron Rodgers
  3. Aaron Rodgers
  4. Aaron Rodgers
  5. Aaron Rodgers
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Aaron Rodgers
  8. Aaron Rodgers
  9. Aaron Rodgers
  10. Clay Matthews

This is about it. We have seen all year long we can lose anyone else for an extended period of time and still win football games. If Rodgers went down for a multi week injury we most certainly wouldn't be where we are right now.

Would be interesting to see more people's opinion on where Hayward fits on this list. Just a little quote for packers.com
According to ProFootballFocus.com, Hayward has not allowed a touchdown pass, been called for a penalty or missed a tackle this season. The Packers coaching staff has credited him with 23 passes defensed, tops on the team, and with one more he’ll match the highest single-season total for any Packers defender since Woodson had 26 in 2006.

Members online