Randall Cobb: Liability?

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I like Cobb a lot and once DD retires he'll probably be assuming his position in our receiving corps. But right now as a special teamer, he is a disaster waiting to happen.

I think that 108yd return in Week 1 has gotten to his his head because now he's taking it out every time and usually ends up burying us inside the 20 and on punt returns I'm biting my nails as he apparently doesn't know what a fair catch is. At Atlanta he decided to field the punt with no space at all and got blasted.

I'm kinda worried one of these days his "heroics" are going to lose us a game. The guy appears to be a nutcase.

Thoughts?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I like Cobb a lot and once DD retires he'll probably be assuming his position in our receiving corps. But right now as a special teamer, he is a disaster waiting to happen.

I think that 108yd return in Week 1 has gotten to his his head because now he's taking it out every time and usually ends up burying us inside the 20 and on punt returns I'm biting my nails as he apparently doesn't know what a fair catch is. At Atlanta he decided to field the punt with no space at all and got blasted.

I'm kinda worried one of these days his "heroics" are going to lose us a game. The guy appears to be a nutcase.

Thoughts?

I'm surprised we haven't heard about his *** getting chewed for his mistakes. I like that he is gutsy, but at the same time he kind of lacks common sense. A stroke of luck will do that to you, just needs a VERY hard hit to reality of why to call fair catch. Other than that, as a receiver he is great.

YouFrgotPoland

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get as nervous as the next person watching him refuse to take the fair catch, but I have to say I really like his aggressiveness.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the week that happens because last week he made quite a few poor decisions that could have been costly.

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I love it! It shows me that he has balls and isnt afraid. Should he be a little smarter with the kick off returns? Sure.. But when you have #12 as your QB who cares if you start at the 20 or the 10.

The way our offensive tackles have been dropping like flies, I'd be concerned. As good as Rodgers is the protection last week got pretty ugly and Rodgers was under constant pressure near our own goal line. That's not a good thing.

Reaction score
I would rather have him return it to the 5 because it gives Rodgers an easy time to complete an easy pass for a 95 yard touchdown and rack up the yards.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have mixed thoughts on it. While I like his aggressiveness and wonder when the next time could be that he would unexpectedly break a TD, I think that for the most part we need him to be relatively cautious. There is a reason MM got pissed at him when he took the 108'er out of the EZ. It was stupid. And he wouldn't have scored if he didn't have a miraculous spin move with the help of Kuhn.

Yes we have Rodgers so it doesn't matter if we have the ball at the 10 or the 20, but at least you are guaranteed to have the ball if you have a fair catch instead of a fumble.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him as a receiver, I think he is one of the best of our draft picks. But when he gets on special teams, I cringe because I fear he will sustain an injury more than I fear him botching a play. I'd really like to see more plays with him as a receiver, that's his forte, not ST.

TCHickman24

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like him as a receiver, I think he is one of the best of our draft picks. But when he gets on special teams, I cringe because I fear he will sustain an injury more than I fear him botching a play. I'd really like to see more plays with him as a receiver, that's his forte, not ST.

I thought during draft day, ESPN and all the draft analyst were saying Randall Cobb was one of the premier ST players in college?? Either way, he is young. Hell of an athlete. He'll figure it out w/ time.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's starting to bug me. He wants to run with everything. Just call your fair catches and take your knees sometimes. You can't have a hunch you're going to break the long one on every single kick in every game.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, it's starting to bug me. He wants to run with everything. Just call your fair catches and take your knees sometimes. You can't have a hunch you're going to break the long one on every single kick in every game.

Devin Hester does. :p

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have much of an issue with his punt returns, but I question his decision making on kick returns. It seems like taking it out from 7-9 yards deep in the end zone is becoming the norm for him. Twice, against ATL, he was taken down before the 20. If I remember right, one of them was at about the 12.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hold on guys.

9 returns in 5 games. Opponents have scored 19 times plus 5 halves or game openers, thats 24 kickoff return opportunities. That is one in 2.6 times he attempts a return. That is more than I expected, but still less than 'every time'

He has 309 yards on 9 attempts for 34 yard average. Take out the 108 yarder and the average does drop. His returning though, doesn't bother me - the guy is an electric player and a single big return can play huge benefits to the Packers.

From ESPN, here is his stats:

Sorry that didn't post well, heres the link

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14053/randall-cobb

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now its Jennings as the #1, Nelson as the #2, Jones and Driver as #3,4 and then Cobb as 5. When DD retires he will be a #4 WR. He wont be touching the ball enough to be a major concern. Plus as a rookie with no camp its waaaaaaaay too early to judge him. Give it two years. He could be our #2 by then.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not true.

The rules Slocum has estabilish, if he has to backtrack, he doesn't bring it out. But it wasn't the case last game.

The problem is the AWFUL blocking...

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed that in this game,but he gains most of the yards back so when you,think about it he is ready to pick up some huge yards,it may be a risk but I think he is the one to do it.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you call for a fair catch, you have 0% chance of returning it for a TD. If you field it, you have >0% chance of scoring a Td. I like >0%. Gotta be in it to win it. But I do worry about his health with some of those hits.

Dont' worry too much about field position. That's a luxury that we can live without as seen in the 2010 season.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he's a liability, the down side is that league has gotten so use to guys like Hester and Cribbs that it makes it harder for new guys like Cobb to take it to the house. but hey he's already earned his keep...made the KO and PR better than they have been since Allen Rossum

Reaction score
I like Cobb. He is like a good bird dog, full of **** and vinegar as a young pup, will mature and develop patience and learn humility. (Hopefully #88 will follow suit). I see a bright future for him in G.B. as long as he follows the rules.
Trapped.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If your gonna return punts you better be fearless. He is going to break one or two of these for TD's this year and they may be game changers. Then we are going to be singing his praises. I would think if he was doing something that was displeasing Big Mac we would have seen it stop by now.

Pat4DaPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is a big time player, he is going to do what it takes to win. Plus with the new kick off rule, I love seeing the players return it, even if they dont get to the 20.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like his aggressiveness, every time he takes the ball on a ko or pr he has a high chance of giving us great field position.

Weve been moaning the past few years that we havent had a decent returner on special teams and now we do so let him do his thing :)

Latest posts