Randall Cobb As Running Back

packerfan42

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay's running game is nothing too great, its average at best.
Randall Cobb is interesting because of his many talents, a jack of many trades...
He looks fast off the line and moves well with contact, a former qb opens up trick plays:whistling:
Iwouldnt mind seeing if he has any use at HB position.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.. just no. He is being groomed to be the slot receiver once Driver is gone, switching positions would make absolutely no sense. Starks and Grant are more than capable to carry the load back there.

Co sign

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd assume he is our emergency qb, but outside of some wildcat plays I'd be shocked if Cobb lines up anywhere other than wr.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.. just no. He is being groomed to be the slot receiver once Driver is gone, switching positions would make absolutely no sense. Starks and Grant are more than capable to carry the load back there.

I agree completely. No sense in doing that. Add Green to the Starks and Grant combo while we are at it. I haven't been this excited for our running game in years!

TheDreamDoctor

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Negative on that one we are training him much like we are Starks and even Green no reason to bring such a man into our perfectly fine running game.

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured they would use him like the vikes use Harvin. They still might, thing is, we have no NEED for a trick play. If someone can figure out how to stall our 'O', then I fully expect to see a no RB set where Cobb lines up as receiver, then moves behind the QB as a rb.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a running back per se, it would be IMHO a terrible idea. The guy has natural hands and incredible open field agility, he has the perfect body for an elite slot receiver.

What I would LOVE for MM to do is motion Cobb to the backfield out of a 5 receiver set, much like Harvin and Cribbs are used. That way, he wouldn't have to break many tackles and make great reads, the middle would usually be wide open, since opponents are scared to death of Aaron Rodgers.

That would also open the playaction out of the 5 wide sets, that would add an even bigger dimention to our offense.

Just imagine Rodgers using this formation in a no huddle offense. How do you defend that?

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I figured they would use him like the vikes use Harvin. They still might, thing is, we have no NEED for a trick play. If someone can figure out how to stall our 'O', then I fully expect to see a no RB set where Cobb lines up as receiver, then moves behind the QB as a rb.
You know I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for a trick play for GB. The great thing about trick plays is teams don't know what to expect. The Bears played a great trick on the Packers, Denver was 1 out of 2 for trick plays, (Flea flicker and Tebow) So far other than onside kicks, our defense put up on odd scheme and I think it would be a great way to throw off a team preparing for the Packers. Cobb would be a great fit seeing how versatile he is and would be great since he doesn't fall on first contact. If we could do a quick slant rout and have Cobb next to the QB, it may be enough to confuse the d to not cover Jennings or Finley thinking we will hand the ball off to Cobb or do something elaborate, and have Rodgers do a quick pass to Jennings or Finley as a way to get less guys on him.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score

This.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I faintly recall DD lining up in the backfield but that may have been under the previous regime. Cobb would make the perfect end around and pull up to pass play though.

Reaction score
If Cobb can play RB, then Rodgers could play too! I mean come on people!!!

He's tied for the team lead in rushing touchdowns with a fullback!

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd assume he is our emergency qb, but outside of some wildcat plays I'd be shocked if Cobb lines up anywhere other than wr.
I still don't understand what this wildcat thing is (Except for cats in the wild! Maybe Kitten knows a few?) and I have yet to see it work really really well.
Gawd, I hope the Pack never uses it.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
If Cobb can play RB, then Rodgers could play too! I mean come on people!!!

He's tied for the team lead in rushing touchdowns with a fullback!
I think last year Rodgers had the 3rd most rushing for the Pack last reg season. And that is with 3 or 4 RB's in the mix, and Kuhn at FB.

It also shows we had Jennings for a rushing yard forgot how it happened, so I think Cobb could do it.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know I think it wouldn't be a bad idea for a trick play for GB. The great thing about trick plays is teams don't know what to expect. The Bears played a great trick on the Packers, Denver was 1 out of 2 for trick plays, (Flea flicker and Tebow) So far other than onside kicks, our defense put up on odd scheme and I think it would be a great way to throw off a team preparing for the Packers. Cobb would be a great fit seeing how versatile he is and would be great since he doesn't fall on first contact. If we could do a quick slant rout and have Cobb next to the QB, it may be enough to confuse the d to not cover Jennings or Finley thinking we will hand the ball off to Cobb or do something elaborate, and have Rodgers do a quick pass to Jennings or Finley as a way to get less guys on him.

Why would the Packers run a trick play? We don't need them. Trick plays are risky and it's a risk we don't need to take. Other teams are playing trick plays on us trying to find some way to beat us because they can't do it under normal circumstances. They have to run them. Like Tebow trying the Flea Flicker and the Bears trying whatever the hell that was called on the return.

Reaction score
I think last year Rodgers had the 3rd most rushing for the Pack last reg season. And that is with 3 or 4 RB's in the mix, and Kuhn at FB.

It also shows we had Jennings for a rushing yard forgot how it happened, so I think Cobb could do it.
I agree. To be honest, I think Cobb is talented enough to play any position in the NFL besides defensive/offensive o-line and linebacker as long as he focused at only that 1 position. He has the skill, speed, strength, and perseverance to do it. He would probably look like a strong chris johnson with a little less speed at running back. Even with all that going for him, he will be the best slot receiver in football in 3 years. I guarantee it.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
I see where you are going. He is very explosive and is a playmaker... but... we have a good combo in grant and starks. We don't have a premiere star back but we have 2 good backs who compliment each other.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Why would the Packers run a trick play? We don't need them. Trick plays are risky and it's a risk we don't need to take. Other teams are playing trick plays on us trying to find some way to beat us because they can't do it under normal circumstances. They have to run them. Like Tebow trying the Flea Flicker and the Bears trying whatever the hell that was called on the return.

Packers would run a trick play to throw a wrench into other team's game planning. What better way to throw off a team than say hey we are going to do something different. Loses need trick plays to win, winners need trick plays to win. Plus the crowd loves them. I can see the Packers doing something crazy versus the Rams, having Cobb in the backfield would be perfect.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers would run a trick play to throw a wrench into other team's game planning. What better way to throw off a team than say hey we are going to do something different. Loses need trick plays to win, winners need trick plays to win. Plus the crowd loves them. I can see the Packers doing something crazy versus the Rams, having Cobb in the backfield would be perfect.

It would be funny to watch, I love to watch the Flea Flicker, but it's taking one hell of a risk. You risk injury as they play can become radical and unpredictable. Anything can happen including the potential for the play to go horribly wrong. When they work, they can make you look like a genius at game planning and execution but if they go wrong, it could mean disaster. I would only do it during a blowout game. The Packers time to throw in a trick play should of come during the Broncos game. But, I'm just not a big fan of all that razzle dazzle and trying to get cute. Laterals drive me nuts. I want to close my eyes. Teams do that when the game is on the line and it jacks up my nerves.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Cobb's skill-set, he thrives in the open field. We are much better off handing the rock to 25 and 44 for the tough yardage. I could see Cobb taking some middle screens, reverses, or shovel passes to the house if given the opportunity, though.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
It would not surprise me to him do at least one end around sometime in the near future. Harvin did like 4 last week for 67 yards.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I can see him on a trick end around reverse play, but it's not worth it. He's going to be a star receiver I think and fill Driver's place in a few years.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of like:

From the original post...

Green Bay's pass rush is nothing too great, its average at best.
Charles Woodson is interesting because of his many talents, a jack of many trades...
He looks fast off the line and rushes the quarterback well when he blitzes
Iwouldnt mind seeing if he has any use at OLB position.

Yikes...

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still don't understand what this wildcat thing is (Except for cats in the wild! Maybe Kitten knows a few?) and I have yet to see it work really really well.
Gawd, I hope the Pack never uses it.
With the wildcat you gain an extra blocker in the running game, but really it only works if the wildcat qb is a threat to throw the ball as well. Only player I've seen it work for consistently is Brad Smith, but Brad Smith played qb at Missouri. Only reason I could see it working with Cobb is because he used to play qb as well at Kentucky.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Cobb lining up in the back field if only to get motioned out Wide of either Jennings or JJ. moving a guy out of the backfield wide almost always move the CB out to him in man coverage and leaves a favorable matchup on either one or two of the inside guys depending on where finley is lined up. With that being said I dont really like the idea of him taking the ball between the tackles ever. Maybe a screen pass here or there or like i said motion him out of the back field.

Members online

Latest posts