Raiders suspend Porter for four games allowed to seek trade.

Will Oakland Win A Game This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Yes, only at the end if they play a playoff teams that is resting starters

• Total voters

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Oakland Raiders suspended disgruntled wide receiver Jerry Porter for four games without pay for conduct detrimental to the team.

Porter, Oakland's leading receiver a year ago, was inactive for the first four games of the season after clashing with new coach Art Shell and making public a trade demand at the start of training camp.

"It's crazy," Porter said of his situation earlier this week. "I pretty much stay quiet and do what I'm asked. What am I supposed to do? I'm playing the cards the way they're dealt to me."

The Raiders were traveling to Denver for an Oct. 15 night game against the Broncos and unavailable for comment on the decision to suspend Porter.

Porter has been working with the scout team in practice, falling behind unheralded receivers Alvis Whitted and Johnnie Morant on the depth chart as Oakland opened the season 0-4. Whitted, who took Porter's spot in the starting lineup, has six catches for 70 yards, while Morant has no catches as the team's fourth receiver.

Porter has been on the sideline during the four losses to open the season, often seen joking around while the Raiders have struggled on offense without him.

Some players have questioned the decision to sit Porter while the team has struggled mightily on offense, but Shell has stuck to the decision. Shell has refused to elaborate on why Porter has been inactive.

"He's working. It's not that he's not working," Shell said earlier this week. "I've never said he hasn't worked. He's doing what he's asked to do and you can't ask for anything more than that."

Porter, in the second year of a five-year contract, had been hoping to be dealt before the trade deadline Oct. 17.

Porter led the Raiders with 76 catches last season and had 942 yards receiving and five touchdown receptions in 2005.

Porter, a second-round pick out of West Virginia in 2000, has 239 catches for 3,215 yards and 24 touchdowns in six seasons with the Raiders. He has never reached 1,000 yards receiving in a season, missing the mark narrowly with 998 yards in 2004 and 942 last season.

Porter will be eligible to return from the suspension Nov. 12 when the Raiders play host to the Broncos.

I think the part of the problem in Oakland is Al Davis. Porter should have been traded, what was Al thinking when he thought porter was worth 2 1st round picks he probably isnt even worth a 1st, soon they will be suspended Randy Moss. The coaches he brought in have been out of football and he is runnning that team in the ground id be surprised if they won a game this season. As I dont like Oakland it doesnt matter much to me but Al Davis has lost his mind at his age.

Raiders head coach Art Shell has suspended Jerry Porter four games for conduct detrimental to the team.

The suspension will cost Porter at least $235,000 of the $1 million base salary he's due for 2006. Porter, who has been inactive for Oakland's first four contests, was granted permission to seek a trade by the team. The deadline for all deals to be consummated is October 17

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought this poll was going to be, should we trade for him. That would've been interesting; one post about trading for Porter and another for a trade for Moss.

I said yes, but only because 0-16 has never happened. They have to win, don't they?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts