Raiders can't afford to draft Russell

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
From respected local writer... Glenn ****ey

http://www.examiner.com/a-671822~****ey__Raiders_handcuffed_to_budget.html

SAN FRANCISCO - The Raiders can’t afford to draft a quarterback with the No. 1 overall pick. Sound familiar? It should, because I wrote that two months ago, before all the draft speculation got into high gear.

The Raiders are bringing in Brady Quinn and JaMarcus Russell for interviews and workouts. Possibly one of them, most likely Russell, will show so much ability and charisma that they’ll draft him.

But that’s not likely because of their money problems. A quarterback at No. 1 would mean a contract similar to what the 49ers gave Alex Smith two years ago — in the $50 million range. That’s much too rich for the Raiders, a team at the bottom of the NFL in revenue.

So, the Raiders seem ready to pick wide receiver Calvin Johnson with that selection. They’re talking to Detroit about a trade for journeyman quarterback Josh McCown. They’re thinking of drafting Stanford quarterback Trent Edwards. They had hoped he’d be available in the third round, but Edwards has risen on the draft charts because of his impressive workouts with teams. So, the Raiders might have to use their second-round pick to get him.

None of this makes much sense from a pure football standpoint, especially taking a wide receiver at No. 1 overall. A wide receiver can’t dominate because even the best need a good quarterback. Ask Gene Washington, who appeared on his way to a Hall of Fame career with the 49ers when John Brodie was the quarterback, but fell into the bin of might-have-beens with the sad group of quarterbacks that followed after Brodie retired.

NFL teams know this. In the last 25 years, only two wide receivers have been selected first: Keyshawn Johnson and Irving Fryar. No busts are being prepared for them at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

But Calvin Johnson’s deal would probably be about half what it would take to sign a quarterback picked at No. 1 overall.

Throwing McCown and Edwards into the quarterback mix could lead to a real mess.

The Raiders still like Andrew Walter, who was put in an impossible situation last year behind a very porous offensive line. But new coach Lane Kiffin, who reminds his players of Jon Gruden — after Tuesday’s practice at minicamp, Jerry Porter said he got “shivers” hearing Kiffin because it brought back Gruden memories — is also trying to install a Gruden-like offense. That requires a quarterback who can move well, which does not describe Walter, McCown or Edwards.

Walter, especially, is a classic dropback passer. Kiffin had him rolling out and trying to throw on the run in minicamp workouts. Cover your eyes.

McCown has limited mobility, too. Edwards has more mobility than the other two — he had to move playing behind the Stanford offensive line, which was the collegiate equivalent of the Raiders — but he’s better suited to dropping back.

So, the Raiders are trying to install an offense ill-suited to the quarterbacks who would run it with a coaching staff that, except for offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, has almost no NFL experience. Not good news, especially with a tough schedule ahead next season.

But the combined contracts of Walter, McCown and Edwards wouldn’t come close to what Quinn or Russell could command.

In Raider-land these days, it all comes down to money. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they could afford him if they cut or trade randy moss. a trade will bring in other contracts though, so cutting him would be the cheapest solution. save them a ton of money. i still think that the packers will trade for Randy Moss before draft day and the raiders will pick Calvin Johnson.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it certainly seems that they won't have enough for anybody, let alone russel. they needs lots of cap space and dare i say, under the possibility of being flamed for bringing it up, unloading randy moss is the way to do it.

trippster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could this be the situation that TT knows about and is waiting for them to have to dump Moss. Then moss would surely want to sign with GB for less so he could catch balls from his idol?

Could TT possibly be this smart? Inquiring minds think so.... ;)

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
......Then moss would surely want to sign with GB for less so he could catch balls from his idol? ......

Dang tripp, that is the funniest thing ever !

Randy Moss is Randy Moss's idol.

He may respect Favre, but idolize, that is some funny $hit.

:rotflmao:

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol didn't we have this Raider fan on our forum posting stuff about the Raiders having no cap trouble or need to cut or trade Moss because of cap? :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
trippster said:
......Then moss would surely want to sign with GB for less so he could catch balls from his idol? ......

Dang tripp, that is the funniest thing ever !

Randy Moss is Randy Moss's idol.

He may respect Favre, but idolize, that is some funny $hit.

:rotflmao:
Hey........i don't remember him running to the edge of the field to say "Hey! Thats ME out there!"
He did when he was watching Favre though! :thumbsup:

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey........i don't remember him running to the edge of the field to say "Hey! Thats ME out there!"
He did when he was watching Favre though! :thumbsup:

WHAT ? :crazy:

When he was watching Favre, he said "Hey, that's ME out there!"

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol didn't we have this Raider fan on our forum posting stuff about the Raiders having no cap trouble or need to cut or trade Moss because of cap? :p

Yes hed did and I questioned him about it because I saw no way they were in any kind of decent position. They will have to either cut a significant number of guys and take on all the rookies they can at a cheaper price or they have to cut Moss. They may have to do both.

Cutting Moss saves them $7.5mill right away. Let's see, the guy has said repeatedly, I mean over and over, he wants out and they solve a lot of their money problems as well.

Seems rather no-brainerish to me.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe it would be foolish to trade anything for Moss at this point, let the Raiders fry in their own fat.

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
on the other side making a trade for him would eliminate any competition for his rights. I'd say give up a 4th and a player for Moss and a player/pick.

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they could afford him if they cut or trade randy moss. a trade will bring in other contracts though, so cutting him would be the cheapest solution. save them a ton of money. i still think that the packers will trade for Randy Moss before draft day and the raiders will pick Calvin Johnson.

Where could moss possibly go!?!!!?!!!?! :thumbsup:

Members online

Latest posts