R.I.P Joe Paterno

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was my hero growing up along with the Penn State Nittany Lions. The scandal doesn't sit well for me at all, but putting that aside, I will pray for his family and loved ones all the same. I had a feeling with the news last night that it was not good. :( It's odd that he was diagnosed with lung cancer a week after he was fired and two weeks prior to that he was on the field coaching football. It's a shock he's gone so soon and I don't think this will offer the victims any comfort, it's just another sad note to a sad song that had a sad ending. :(

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably not a coincidence in my opinion.

I would not be surprised if the stress of the situation did not cause or 'allow' the cancer to take hold.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a tragedy that he was forced to be in such a terrible position because of the actions of a monster.

It's even more of a tragedy that he chose to protect the institution rather than doing the right thing and seeing that Sandusky never worked with children again.

Even sadder that the his family is going to have to live with his inaction.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, we all make mistakes. They guy should have told the cops, I agree. His relationship with Sandusky clouded his judgement on what was the morally right thing to do. A death never brings joy, especially to their loved ones.

R.I.P. JoePa

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mistake? Are you f*ing kidding me? A mistake is something done unintentionally like giving someone the wrong change or turning the wrong way onto a one way street or even. What Paterno did wasn't a "Mistake." He deliberately covered for someone who was ****** children.

RIP JoePa. Now you finally have a legitimate reason to not say anything when a kid gets *****.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mistake? Are you f*ing kidding me? A mistake is something done unintentionally like giving someone the wrong change or turning the wrong way onto a one way street or even. What Paterno did wasn't a "Mistake." He deliberately covered for someone who was ****** children.

RIP JoePa. Now you finally have a legitimate reason to not say anything when a kid gets *****.

I understand your point of view, I really do. But, with all due respect you are incorrect in your definition of a mistake. A mistake can also mean an error that is made through faulty judgement or ignorance or oversight. This describes JoePa, he made a mistake at only telling his bosses and not the police. I TOTALLY disagree with the way he handled the Sandusky situation. Sandusky was preying on children for years, the bastard deserves the worst possible punishment. JoePa, in my opinion died of a broken heart, his life was coaching and when that was taken away his motivation to live was gone.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your point of view, I really do. But, with all due respect you are incorrect in your definition of a mistake. A mistake can also mean an error that is made through faulty judgement or ignorance or oversight. This describes JoePa, he made a mistake at only telling his bosses and not the police. I TOTALLY disagree with the way he handled the Sandusky situation. Sandusky was preying on children for years, the bastard deserves the worst possible punishment. JoePa, in my opinion died of a broken heart, his life was coaching and when that was taken away his motivation to live was gone.

Oh please. I don't care what the formal definition of "Mistake" is. He stood by and did nothing for years while Sandusky ***** little boys. To label that as something as simple as a "mistake" seriously undermines and diminishes the decision he willfully made to protect the institution instead of those children.

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally get where your coming from. We both agree that the way JoePa handled the situation was incorrect. But isn't that what make PackerForum great? We can talk about a situation, state our viewpoint in a respectful manner, and I guess agree to disagree on the legacy of JoePa and how he should be remembered.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For us all....

There are different verities than those which we ascribe to.

There are truths, truths different than our own...which are still true, regardless of the weight WE attach to them.

Posit:

A man in his early 70's. In the job for years. Built his life around his job. Successful in doing it. ABSOLUTELY no desire to do anything other than this job. N.B. NOT a man, say 27 years of age, coming in a job hungry to prove himself.

Hears from his assistant that a coach of his, someone who he has known for years, has been banging BOYS, for Heaven's sake, in a shower room at the athletic facilities.

HE GETS TOTALLY FREAKED.

After all, this is NOT something he has dealt with before. When people have their mind blown they don't and CAN'T often act in the best and most rational manner.

One thing that is important: At this most shocking, crappy time...they keep it together, and even if they don't know exactly what to do...THEY GET IT TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HANDLE IT RIGHT.

Thus...

We have a man....70+ years (at the time of the sex pervert's acts), on the job for over 35+ years (again at the time of the sick whacko), and now he hears that one of his top coachss is a sick PERVERT.

I could conceivably see him thinking along these lines...

"Oh my God...what was that a##hole doing? I don't need this crap. NOBODY needs this garbage. What the HELL was he doing to those boys? I DON'T NEED THIS. This PERVERT needs to be SCREWED. I have got to get this out of my face. I gotta tell the boss (University Big Wig.) right away. I hope he nails the sick Jerk to the Cross."

He tells HIS boss (University big wig).

He thinks "Gee I hope they get that old sick PERVERT."

And the 70+ year old coach, lets his bosses do what they're supposed to do. He doesn't go and work out to ease his tension. He doesn't email everyone in the country. He doesn't call every newsperson in the country. He doesn't go see every police agency in the world.

Energy, after all, ISN'T a boundless commodity when you're 70+.

But he DOES do what he thinks will fix the problem and the pervert. He tells HIS boss, feeling confident they'll do the right thing.

Posit;

I am walking on a pond, frozen in Winter.

I do it twice, in front a different person each time: a 25 year old dude, a champion swimmer and ice hockey player...and a 75 year old man.

I fall thru the ice.

Would you expect each man to act the same?

I wouldn't.

The 25 year old dude, I would hope that he jumps in to save me before I freeze and/or drown. He wouldn't have to...but I would hope that he did.

The 75 year old dude.
I would hope he goes and calls the cops. What else is he gonna do?

Coach Papa went and called the cops.....

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For us all....

There are different verities than those which we ascribe to.

There are truths, truths different than our own...which are still true, regardless of the weight WE attach to them.

. . . .

Posit;

I am walking on a pond, frozen in Winter.

I do it twice, in front a different person each time: a 25 year old dude, a champion swimmer and ice hockey player...and a 75 year old man.

I fall thru the ice.

Would you expect each man to act the same?

I wouldn't.

You know, I really don't give a **** about what that focking a$shole thought was truth. My truth is that if you fock little boys you should die. My truth is this as$hole should go to prison. If its a child I know - I will kill him myself, in a heart beat. That is my truth.

As far as not doing something simple to make sure that the guy doesn't hurt more boys, like calling the police. The guy was a football coach - he wasn't entirely a feeble old man. Picking up a phone is a simple task than carrying a clipboard.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know, I really don't give a **** about what that focking a$shole thought was truth. My truth is that if you fock little boys you should die. My truth is this as$hole should go to prison. If its a child I know - I will kill him myself, in a heart beat. That is my truth.

As far as not doing something simple to make sure that the guy doesn't hurt more boys, like calling the police. The guy was a football coach - he wasn't entirely a feeble old man. Picking up a phone is a simple task than carrying a clipboard.

?????

Okay.

The government classifies certain actions as crimes, If you commit one of these actions with intent...the government, not any man, but the government itself comes after you. The government itself will try you. The government itself, if it finds you guilty will punish you. "Self Help" is not allowed. Although if you can convince the finder of fact (the judge in a bench trial, the jury in a jury trial) that you got "carried away" the charge may be reduced to something else, say "Voluntary Manslaughter".

Paterno, once informed about the pervert in the locker room on the University campus....followed a very logical path...he informed the head of his section of the University. If he would have gone after Sandusky himself and killed him...he would have committed a crime himself. As I said, in our society. with our government, "Self Help", "Lynch Mobs" are not allowed, legally.

Maybe, he should have called every police agency, and every news agency in the world?

He could have, and some people could make the point for that.

For me, the one thing I would have asked Joe is "After you reported it...what did you find out they had done? Did they go talk to him? Did they find out who he had queered? Did they help these people?" I don't know if he ever did anything like that.

It never went to court, about Paterno and Penn State. But if Joe had contested the University's decision to can him, I'm almost positive that Joe's lawyer would have pointed out that Joe did bring the matter to the attention of the big shot in charge.

They, the University, dropped the ball. Joe did his duty. He couldn't have made them do their job.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW flogging at Joe is useless now. Jerry Sandusky apparently still maintains "his innocence".

The attention should shift dramatically to being only and exclusively on Sandusky. Some would say it should have always been like this.

Time for justice.

Another BTW...

.....watch his defense attorneys....

If they should really see that Sandusky will be convicted ....,they will advise him to change his plea to "guilty".
Currently he is pleading that he is "innocent."

Once the trial is over, and the finder of fact is about to declare Sandusky "Guilty" or "Innocent''....if he really is guilty.... and if he admits to "guilty" and he is adjudicated thus ....the "sentencing" will very possibly go easier on him.

If on the other hand, he professes innocence and is then found guilty, the Judge can "throw the book"at him (allow the maximum penalty allowed by statute).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My reading of your first post was that ****** a boy was what you were referring to with the alternative truth crap.

I still very much disagree with you. Knowing that guy is still out there potentially victimizing young boys, he doesn't step to the plate and do something about it? Extremely shameful. The recidivism rate for homosexual molestation is much higher than other crimes. That is, it is very likely they are going to commit the heinous crime again.

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm... one thing to do FOR CERTAIN now.

The Sandusky problem needs to get "fixed"

Apparently, this dude was caught with boys, complained about, told by his bosses he used "bad judgement(?)," in "inappropriate showering(??????????????)", apologized and was admonished "not to do it again" and then, he went right out and did even worse.

Okay .........enough chances, or second chances, or third chances, or WHATEVER chances.

Get him into court.

FIX the problem so that it doesn't happen again......whatever ....that takes.

And let the world be a safer place.

L

Lunchboxer

RIP JoePa.

I think he did what he could but he should of called Police after few days if his Higher ups did not do anything.

Members online

Latest posts