R.i.p. Al Davis

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow...

He was a good guy from what I have heard..He took care of his players with separate retirement plans

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
The sad thing is when I tried to google this is how many fake deaths there were on this.

Hope things go well Raider Nation

Rest in Peace.

OP
OP
Hype

Hype

Cheesehead
Reaction score
.... this is a sad day. It doesn’t matter which team you follow. This man has done a lot for professional football

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He did a lot for the NFL. He helped a lot with the AFL-NFL merger, and he took very good care of his players. Rest in peace, Al Davis, and my condolences go to his fans and Raider Nation.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP

Most young fans will only think of him a bat **** crazy fool. But at one time he was the Belichik of his era. And I mean football genius, not cheater.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
He was crazy ever since he took a dislike to Marcus Allen and benched him for two years. But he sure helped get the AFL up to NFL standard.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was crazy ever since he took a dislike to Marcus Allen and benched him for two years. But he sure helped get the AFL up to NFL standard.

That was extremely personal. I think most would have done that in Al's position. Thats the only time it was "just win baby"

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RIP

Most young fans will only think of him a bat **** crazy fool. But at one time he was the Belichik of his era. And I mean football genius, not cheater.
I dunno anything about him so I'm in no position to judge.

RIP Al.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone else ever own a team and have the swagger like Al did? Oakland was 1 of 2 franchise you always knew it wasnt about the $. It was about the winning. (The other is in Wi)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I was shocked hearing he passed away today, and I really hate it for the Raiders fans.

Davis was often criticized over the last decade on how he was running the Oakland organization, you can say what you want about him but the man lived 80 years, and I believe he deserved respect just for that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Wow..Jerry Jones on NFLN now talking about it and he is very very emotional

I knew Al did a lot for the league, but to hear Jones get very emotional really shows how important and how well he was liked

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Al Davis, Felt that all of the owners double crossed him when he was the comish of the AFL. They went behind his back and agreed to the merger. He was of the opinion that the AFL had met the NFL in popularity and was going to become the more popular league because of the style of play in the AFL. He was probably right and this is why Pete Rozelle was so keen on the merger. On all three of the Raiders Superbowl rings is the AFL logo. He was one of the pioneers of modern football. Something will get named for him. Maybe the Superbowl MVP trophy?

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Also I think all the Raiders' rings said "AFL Pride" on them.

Hate that he died, but at least he got to see his team win, not one, but three Super Bowls in his liftetime.

Some owners are still waiting.

Reaction score
RIP

Hey wait a minute, I thought the raiders were known for gettin' some "advantages" during their hayday. :cool:

RIP Al. Good Luck to Raider Nation, Keep up the Commitment to Excellence

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Al Davis, Felt that all of the owners double crossed him when he was the comish of the AFL. They went behind his back and agreed to the merger. He was of the opinion that the AFL had met the NFL in popularity and was going to become the more popular league because of the style of play in the AFL. He was probably right and this is why Pete Rozelle was so keen on the merger. On all three of the Raiders Superbowl rings is the AFL logo. He was one of the pioneers of modern football. Something will get named for him. Maybe the Superbowl MVP trophy?
I was thinkin the same thing.
The Al Davis coach of the year award.
Or maybe they will invent an award just to have it named for Al.
Owner of the year?

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should at least honor him in some way during the opening ceremonies of the Superbowl. A moment of silence or some kind of dedication. Or as you guys said, maybe an announcement of an award in his name. That would be a nice way for the league to show tribute for all he has done.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers owe him a debt of gratitude as well. Didn't Ron Wolf come from there and dare I say; Charles Woodson? Thanks Al.

Willie Wood wouldnt be in the NFL without Al. Then again we could blame Al for John Madden...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts