Question?

Roddy_Alberse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With two months left before the regular season starts, how does everyone think TT has done so far as the Packer GM?

There seems to be alot of question marks for various positions such as offensive line, wide receiver, and running backs, and I was wondering how everyone would grade TT up to this point in time?

(Also, there's alot of disrespect and garbage being slung towards #4, and personally I hope that he lights it up this year and shows alot of doubters that they can shove their extreme lack of football knowlege--and their opinions--(hear that pft.com?), up their proverbial *****.)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now I might be biased...because I HATE TT....

but I think hes done an Ok job. Drafted well, free agency went well (Woodson,pickett,manuel,taylor,gardner,brooroeriegieter)...

and the coaching staff seems to be working together well. good communication(from what we can tell.)

we'll have to wait for sundays to see the finished product, but me likey!

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice post Roddy....I still think it's too early to actually make a judgment on TT.

I'd like to see if Manuel, Pickett, and the last two draft classes pan out first. If I had to grade him, I think I would give him a B right now with the understanding that if A-Rod pans out in the future as well as most of the other picks along with the free agent signings, he could move into the A category.

If they mostly bomb out, he could fall to a D...

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT's grade really hinges on what MM & company do with this squad, as that was by far the biggest decision he'll ever make for this franchise.

up until this point i'd give TT a C+...if MM is the real deal, naturally that would shoot up dramatically.

Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
TT's grade really hinges on what MM & company do with this squad, as that was by far the biggest decision he'll ever make for this franchise.

up until this point i'd give TT a C+...if MM is the real deal, naturally that would shoot up dramatically.

C+? A little low, no?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so far, i'd give him a C+ tops. ask again after the first few games - should be interesting how we feel about him by then. :)

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roster wise, I'd give TT a B for the defense and a D for the offense & special teams at this point.

Coaching wise, I'd give TT a B for the offense & special teams and D for the defense at this point.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
arrowgargantuan said:

C+? A little low, no?

yes indeed...lol.

i still think hiring MM is suspect as hell. his credentials are mighty assy for such an important position. of course he can't be judged on anything yet, but i don't really support the decision at all (like that matters).

i expected a lot more tenacity from him in FA.

he handled our Kicker situation very poorly, no doubt we'll definitely see the effects of that this season...and future seasons if it isn't addresed.

i think Manuel got a buddy bonus, a nice fat paycheck without really earning it. that bothered the hell outta me...i do like the signing however.

i'm really pumped about 2 rookies starting on the O line. (admittedly, i'm not sure if a quick fix was even remotely possible here.) regardless, the success of our offense revolves around it. if our O line blows, we blow, period.

i'm not mad at the guy, just not thoroughly impressed.

i like the Pickett signing quite a bit. the knock on him in St. Louis was that he overachieved for his contract year. regardless, i think it was a strong pick up.

point blank, TT's tenure is riding on the McCarthy hire. if McCarthy and his staff have the juice, then TT is a badass. if not, then just remove the "bad" part.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Other than his first draft and a few free agent signings, can we really grade the guy yet?

For last year's draft I'd give him a B-. For the FA signings I'd give him a C-.

This year's draft appears to be better than last but no one can say by how much. Grade IC.

This year's FA pickups look to be promising but, regarding his biggest deal, many think that Woodson is not only a cancer but also not very talented any longer. Grade IC.

Coaching fires/hires. While he gave Sherman a chance, it was clear that the two didn't gel and Sherm had to go. The bad news is, he really should not have extended Sherman's contract costing the organization some decent money. Depending on how MM and staff turn out, that could reduce his grade significantly. Grade IC.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above.....because one of you is probably going to be right. I'm just not sure which one so I'd like to cover my bases.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
I agree with all of the above.....because one of you is probably going to be right. I'm just not sure which one so I'd like to cover my bases.

lol nice

I'm gonna copy him and agree :p

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT gave MM the tools, now we have to see what he does with it.
You really can't make an honest grade until we see the results.
It would be like being in school, and having the teacher give you a grade BEFORE you took the test. Ity really can't be done.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C+ ??

I think Thompson's done a great job. Time will tell, of course, but from what I've seen he's already gotten us back from the brink of cap hell, disposed of most of Sherman's mistakes and boosted the roster with lots of young talent.

Not too far down the road, we might all be singing his praises.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of today I'd give him a C-. I don't think he's handled the offensive line issue very well. Although I've liked his choices in the draft and free agency on the defensive side of the ball, I'm not sure you can win in this league with our line. Now in the long run, that line may turn out to be exceptional, but I don't believe they are, or will be, this year. I don't like our kicking game at all. I get the impression that he gets surprised a lot. The problem is that I don't think you can judge a GM for just two or three years because I believe it takes four to five to make an honest assessment. The problem is that by that time the damage can be severe. If you doubt that, look at what happened with Mike Sherman.

As for bashing Favre. Until last year, he was thought of as one of the best quarterbacks ever to play this game. When you're not surrounded by great talent and your quarterback is a bit of a gunslinger, you're going to throw lots of interceptions. And of course Favre was a bit bullheaded. Having said that, if I could start a team I'd start that team with Brett Favre. He is still the best player I've ever seen play this game.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on, we've all been in school, and we like to know what our grade is during the semester, even if that grade could change wildly before the end of the semester. So there's nothing wrong with giving Thompson a grade in progress.

I'm giving him a B minus for now. He seems to be putting a solid defense together, and I like that basic approach of starting with the defense. Both of his drafts have been full of intriguing players, with no outright stinkers so far. I downgrade him for his handling of Bubba Franks last summer, as well as the Sherman contract extension followed a few months later by the Sherman firing. He seems a bit awkward as a public figure. We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next couple years.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally would not have wanted TT's job.

He came into a situation where the team was going in the wrong direction.

So....the coaching situation needed to be addressed.

The team was depleted in all areas.

-What once was a solid group of "core players" had beed diminished. There never seemed enough forethought in planning to be able to hold on to these guys before they got away.
-The complimentary group just below a "core" quality type player were not very good.
-We had virtually no depth in any position.
-Our Special Teams play/players were a wreck.

The "building block" players drafted over the previous several years which a team is built on was nearly non-existant. Poor draft position, poor draft classes, and, poor draft selections all contributed.

So no phase of running a football team could go ignored. IMO Mike Sherman never once IMPROVED this team from one year to the next and over a period of time a significant number of talented players were gone and nobody, draftwise or free agency wise was brought in to compensate.

Last years 4-12 season was a nightmare for Pack fans but it wasn't like it was a blindsided blow to the side of our heads.

Considering TT knows much more about all of this than I but ALL phases of this team are being addressed as well as one could expect. Shy of 4 or 5 guys on both side of the ball everything else needed changing.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk.....every team has to rebuild sooner or later. We have been spoiled and put off cleaning house previously because Brett Favre kept us a playoff team for over a dozen years.

Please don't make excuses or feel sorry for TT. Just about every time a new GM is hired it is because the team has hit rock bottom. When TT was actually hired the Packers were divisional champions. As far as addressing the coaching situation is concerned he gave Sherman a two year extension and then fired him that same season. That is how he "addressed the coaching situation". A great GM can turn a team around in 2-3 years now with free agency and the draft. This is his second.....we should improve.

I would bet that you are the only one on this forum that "personally would not want TT's job". Every one of us wants to be the GM of the Green Bay Packers which is what we are practicing for on this board.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
warhawk.....every team has to rebuild sooner or later. We have been spoiled and put off cleaning house previously because Brett Favre kept us a playoff team for over a dozen years.

Please don't make excuses or feel sorry for TT. Just about every time a new GM is hired it is because the team has hit rock bottom. When TT was actually hired the Packers were divisional champions. As far as addressing the coaching situation is concerned he gave Sherman a two year extension and then fired him that same season. That is how he "addressed the coaching situation". A great GM can turn a team around in 2-3 years now with free agency and the draft. This is his second.....we should improve.

I would bet that you are the only one on this forum that "personally would not want TT's job". Every one of us wants to be the GM of the Green Bay Packers which is what we are practicing for on this board.
Please Depack, I beg you, not this argument again. We've done this one four or five times since January!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ONLY grade that really counts is when the season is over. Otherwise it's not a grade, just a wild guess. It would be like betting on what car is going to win a race, based on the paint job.
I HOPE TT turns out to be a genius, and we end up celebrating. I just can't judge him or his moves so far, as there is no payoff or letdown yet.
Theres nothing wrong in making your guess, just don't get too worked up either way, as right now it means nothing.

Members online

Latest posts