Question: Did Goodell Interject Himself into the Favre/Rodgers Sitch Way Back When?

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to bring this up, but in discussing the Vick's comments about Goodell encouraging him to go the Eagles instead of the Bills/Bengals, someone said this was not the first time he has done something similar, and stated that Goodell basically took the position that the Pack should either start Favre or release/trade him.

I didn't really remember this, can anyone tell me whether there is any truth to that?

Again, I am sure you guys are tired of the subject I just thought you might be able to clarify. More interested in Goodell than anything else.

Mods -- feel free to delete if you want (preferably after someone answers.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it needs to be deleted.
But maybe this is one for the "Rodgers vs Favre: Do it here" thread over in the smack area.

I dunno the answer. Sorry.

Have you tried google or a search of this site?

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Gooddell told the Packers they had to do something with Favre, though he didn't say the Packers had to start him or cut/trade him. They just had to let him come back, meaning he could have come back as a backup if that's what Ted wanted to do.

And to be honest, it was the correct thing to do. No team should force a player to retire, regardless of how much of a ****** he is. Play him, bench him, cut him or trade him.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes, Gooddell told the Packers they had to do something with Favre, though he didn't say the Packers had to start him or cut/trade him. They just had to let him come back, meaning he could have come back as a backup if that's what Ted wanted to do.

And to be honest, it was the correct thing to do. No team should force a player to retire, regardless of how much of a ****** he is. Play him, bench him, cut him or trade him.
Goodall told them to do nothing. Once Brett was reinstated the Packers had no choice in the matter. They had 3 options, Cut him, Trade him or keep him. That is a result of the CBA, not anything Goodall said or did. I wish people wouln't make crap up like "Yes, Gooddell told the Packers they had to do something with Favre," .

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:sFun_DeadHorse:

Yes he demanded they trade him to the biggest media market. Only for it to backfire with Brett sexually harassing women working for the jets. So he then built it up so that Brett would go to MN. It was an inside job.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Goodall told them to do nothing. Once Brett was reinstated the Packers had no choice in the matter. They had 3 options, Cut him, Trade him or keep him. That is a result of the CBA, not anything Goodall said or did. I wish people wouln't make crap up like "Yes, Gooddell told the Packers they had to do something with Favre," .

Jesus Christ man, step back from the ledge and take a f*cking chill pill. Fine, I got it wrong. MY BAD. You're one of the few Vikings fans I actually like. Don't change that by becoming an ***.

Upon further review, I was wrong. Gooddell didn't tell the Packers to do something with Favre. Gooddell granted Favre's reinstatement, thereby forcing them to do something with him.

Happy now?

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Jesus Christ man, step back from the ledge and take a f*cking chill pill. Fine, I got it wrong. MY BAD. You're one of the few Vikings fans I actually like. Don't change that by becoming an ***.

Upon further review, I was wrong. Gooddell didn't tell the Packers to do something with Favre. Gooddell granted Favre's reinstatement, thereby forcing them to do something with him.

Happy now?
I should have read it again before I posted it. Usually I don't attack people, and it wasn't meant to attack you personally, just crap that people in general make up. But it does not read that way. Sorry.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score

Happy now?

Spartachris, don't get offended by Raptorman, he is a one of the best Vikings fans to be on our forums. He was stating facts.

As for the discussion, Goodell did mention something but he probably didn't want to touch the subject with a ten foot pole. The only ones that did just seemed to love the story of it all.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Spartachris, don't get offended by Raptorman, he is a one of the best Vikings fans to be on our forums. He was stating facts.

As for the discussion, Goodell did mention something but he probably didn't want to touch the subject with a ten foot pole. The only ones that did just seemed to love the story of it all.

Source: Goodell monitoring Favre situation

ESPN.com first reported Goodell's interest in the Favre predicament, indicating that Goodell encouraged Packers General Manager Ted Thompson to survey teams around the league to try to find a trade partner in hopes of resolving it quickly.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Longtime, I would go with that but at the same time it's probably from some unnamed source. I just don't see Goodall injecting himself into the fray. The most I see is him doing is telling the Packers he is going to reinstate Favre and when.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Longtime, I would go with that but at the same time it's probably from some unnamed source. I just don't see Goodall injecting himself into the fray. The most I see is him doing is telling the Packers he is going to reinstate Favre and when.

Yeah I dont think he would have told Ted how to run the team..In fact I am sure that is how I felt at the time..

Maybe I will search for those threads

Just tossing it out there that rumors we flying

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yeah I dont think he would have told Ted how to run the team..In fact I am sure that is how I felt at the time..

Maybe I will search for those threads

Just tossing it out there that rumors we flying
He, Goodell, may be a control freak but he still has to remember that his employer is the 32 team owners. Telling them how to run their teams would not go over very well.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He, Goodell, may be a control freak but he still has to remember that his employer is the 32 team owners. Telling them how to run their teams would not go over very well.
There are enough Packers owners to move his house by hand 30 feet from the foundation if need be.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How 'bout 286 feet? One foot for every one of Favre's regular season interceptions that he threw while with the Packers.

Members online

Latest posts