1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Question about the final Hail Mary

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by GoPGo, Dec 29, 2013.

1. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +454 / 77 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    Does anyone else think even if the Hail Mary had worked that it would have been overturned due to an illegal forward pass? I've watched it several times frame by frame and it Cutler's foot was definitely over the LOS and it looked like the ball was still in his hand when it passed through the plane of the LOS.
  2. Dagger85

Dagger85 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +31 / 1 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'll have to go back and watch that! I lost track of the line of scrimmage. Whew. It's been over for 7 hours and I still haven't recovered.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Like_That

Like_That Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0
    No because Cutlers whole body has to cross the LOS.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +454 / 77 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    So... in reality you DON'T have to throw the ball from behind the LOS. You just have to make sure not to go more than a couple feet beyond it? I'm pretty sure I've seen more than one completed pass overturned with less than the QB's whole body beyond the LOS.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200 / 7 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    I don't believe that is correct.
  6. yooperpackfan

yooperpackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200 / 7 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    My son and I both yelled that at the same time but no flags came out.
  7. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +749 / 31 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    Out of the NFL's rule book:
    It is a forward pass from beyond the line of scrimmage if the passer’s entire body and the ball are beyond the line of scrimmage when the ball is released, whether the passer is airborne or touching the ground. The penalty for a forward pass
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Zartan

Zartan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +125 / 11 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    The entire body of the passer has to cross LoS for it to be called an Illgeal Forward Pass.
  9. Ceodore

Ceodore Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +162 / 5 / -1
    It wouldn't have been turned over because you can't challenge a penalty (or lack thereof) correct? Since they didn't throw a flag during the play i don't think there's anything they could've done about it.
  10. dandbuck

dandbuck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    anyone else notice the 2 times the closk was still running when it should have stopped. Once when bears receiver ran out of bounds, and the other when they "reviewed" the catch with 1.5 minutes left, we snapped the ball and they blew it stopped, then restarted wayyyy to early after they confirmed the catch.
  11. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +625 / 6 / -0
    Nope. Whole body must be past the LOS for it to be illegal forward pass.
  12. Baked

Baked Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    You can straddle the line. That was a legal throw. Which means it was a legitimate interception!
  13. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +749 / 31 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    I don´t know about the one when a Bears receiver went out of bounds, but the started the clock absolutely correctly after the Nelson catch (the stoppage occured because a practice ball was on the field).
  14. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    So is this a way to get a clock stoppage when running to the line in hurry up mode? allows the offense to get set? Almost like letting a fan run on to the field to get a time out like happened many years back?
  15. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +831 / 174 / -43
    Packer Fan Since:
    The booth reviews ALL scoring plays. If it had been caught it would have been a booth review.
  16. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 65 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    I've deleted my post agreeing with GoPGo's initial proposition. CaptainWIMM correctly quoted the rules.

A little Packer history for you youngsters:

The call used to be predicated on the position of the ball relative to the LOS at the point of release. The rule was changed after Don Majkowski beat the Bears on a controversial call. I thought it was now based on the position of the feet at the time of release. That is incorrect.

I fail to understand why they changed the rule in this way. The Majkowski play highlighted how difficult it is to note the position of the throw unless the camera is shooting right down the LOS. The current rule makes the call no easier.

Common sense would dictate it should be based on foot position where there's a better chance of making the right call upon replay. Go figure.
  17. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +1,886 / 48 / -33
    I replayed that a couple of times too. Cutler's back foot was clearly behind the LOS. I think the rule should be both feet behind the LOS at the point of release. But that would be a rule helping the D and we don't want to do that!

They do review scoring plays but I'm not sure if that would be part of what they would review. IMO it should be...
  18. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +454 / 77 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    You could back in 1989
  19. GoPGo

GoPGo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +454 / 77 / -13
    Packer Fan Since:
    No kidding. If they can use foot position to determine whether a shot is a 3 pointer or 2 pointer, why can't a foot on the LOS be used to determine a legal pass? It would make the rule more objective and concrete that way.
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,308 / 65 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Well, they did ditch the "Tuck Rule" this past off season. Long overdue. They must have figured sufficient time had passed so as not to discredit the Patriots' championship. That's small vindication for Charles Woodson; more like opening an old wound. I guess we could say he did not have a good year all the way around.
  21. PackMan13x

PackMan13x Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +108 / 4 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    That was a legal pass but what SHOULD have been called was Jordy getting layed out 9 yards down field on the 4th and 8! Even though it was beautiful and Cobb scored, if he drops it the game is over when Jordy was flattened in plain site in the middle of the field.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Tailgaiter

Ratings:
    +276 / 16 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    131230-thedrive710.jpg

A thing of beauty is a joy forever !
  23. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +757 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Does anyone have any definite confirmation that the rule for illegal forward pass actually changed after 1989? I hear it all the time and I'm not saying its not true but I've never seen anything that confirms it to where I don't wonder if its just urban legend that has grown over time kind of like people thinking that we wouldn't haven't made the playoffs in 2010 without Desean Jackson's punt return beating the Giants.

Only reason I ask is that if you watch that game ending (YouTube search for Bears Packers replay game 1989), the announcer continuously harps on the back foot being behind the line which would lead one to think that he believed this made it a legal pass.

I find it odd that a commentator would incorrectly assume this is the rule. If I didn't know that it actually is the rule now I would assume that the entire body, or at least the ball, has to be behind the line.
  24. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +749 / 31 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
    This is from the Wikipedia article of the 1990 season, listing major rule changes before the season:

• The penalty for an illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage is enforced from the spot where any part of the passer's body is beyond the line when the ball is released.
  25. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +757 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Thanks! That's kind of an odd way how they worded it, though. It makes it sound like its a penalty if any part of the body is past the line, when in fact its opposite and not a penalty if any part of the body is still behind the line.

Maybe they've been misinterpreting and mis-enforcing the rule all this time. :)